IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

Lbibass

22 Oct 2019, 16:21

vespertine wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 01:32
I want to use this keyboard with my modern pc and it has some weird connector ive never seen...need to know how to get it converted to ps2 so I can use a ps2 to usb converter and use it with my pc
Okay. So that's not PS/2. It's probably a weird, proprietary protocol. Your best bet to get it working is to do a controller swap and / or handwire.

I am guessing that you do not know how to do that.

Edit: Also, given the date on the case, it's probably a Peerless board. So it might not even be possible to do the above, at least easily.

vespertine

23 Oct 2019, 04:34

yeah im a total keyboard newb...clueless as to how to do any of that...I would try if somone gave me instructions thought =)

EnthusiastDude

23 Oct 2019, 15:41

If anyone could make an educated guess on which switches this one contains I'd be very happy :-)
Screenshot_20191023-153436__01__01.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-153436__01__01.jpg (349.56 KiB) Viewed 8929 times

EnthusiastDude

23 Oct 2019, 15:53

Something interesting in here? Thanks everybody!
Screenshot_20191023-154916__01.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-154916__01.jpg (179.3 KiB) Viewed 8925 times
Screenshot_20191023-154958__01.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-154958__01.jpg (132.19 KiB) Viewed 8925 times
Screenshot_20191023-155148__01.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-155148__01.jpg (393.94 KiB) Viewed 8925 times

Findecanor

23 Oct 2019, 17:52

The Model F-layout keyboards remind me of Key Tronic with their lock lights. The second Model F-style keyboard has a really unusual layout though.
I think I've tested that Compaq board and found it had rubber domes.

EnthusiastDude

23 Oct 2019, 18:15

Sounds plausible, thank you very much!

davkol

23 Oct 2019, 18:22

The Compaq is their Enhanced Keyboard. Key Tronic foam and foil with rubber sleeves. Not bad in my experience.

razykiller10

23 Oct 2019, 19:52

I'm assuming this is rubber dome, does anyone think otherwise?

fneuf

23 Oct 2019, 20:12

Hello there,

Does anyone recognize this ?

I was looking for potential replacements of my various originals Natural Keyboard (they've practically been my only keebs @home), when I found the ErgoDox (that I'm currently assessing as my #1 choice) when I remembered this old split keyboard I saw back then.

Sorry for the quality, it comes from a youtube video, that probably comes from a VHS tape. It can be seen live, and more clearly, in here.

It was featured in a somewhat cheezy spy/model tv series from the end of the 90's called "Acapulco H.E.A.T", if it rings a bell to anyone.

Findecanor

23 Oct 2019, 21:04

That looks to me like a chopped-up Apple Adjustable Keyboard.
The thing propped up on the black stalk must be the separate part with arrow keys, nav cluster and numeric keypad. The nav cluster has small buttons instead of full-sized keys. The curved top edges of that and the right-hand half below give it away.
Please don't do that to a vintage keyboard: it would not function. The Apple Adjustable Keyboard is actually even older than the first MS Natural Keyboard, and the mechanical key switches have a reputation of malfunctioning but are rare so difficult to replace.

I would recommend Xah Lee's keyboard page if you'd want to find more types of contemporary ergonomic keyboards.

BTW. Yeah, unfortunately, I remember that TV series ... That hmm special very 1990's-era genre always remind me of this song:
Last edited by Findecanor on 23 Oct 2019, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.

Findecanor

23 Oct 2019, 21:14

razykiller10 wrote:
It could perhaps be a variation of the Acer keyboard with clicky Acer switches.
That case variation is not in the Wiki.

gipetto

23 Oct 2019, 21:35

Findecanor wrote:
razykiller10 wrote:
here's proof that the same shell at least comes with acer switches.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/com ... _w_paypal/

fneuf

23 Oct 2019, 21:59

Findecanor wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 21:04
That looks to me like a chopped-up Apple Adjustable Keyboard.
The thing propped up on the black stalk must be the separate part with arrow keys, nav cluster and numeric keypad. The nav cluster has small buttons instead of full-sized keys. The curved top edges of that and the right-hand half below give it away.
Please don't do that to a vintage keyboard: it would not function. The Apple Adjustable Keyboard is actually even older than the first MS Natural Keyboard, and the mechanical key switches have a reputation of malfunctioning but are rare so difficult to replace.
Thanks for your reply, and thanks for the found, I think you are right!

Yeah well, seems they were mercyless to this keyboard, on that TV show. Impossible for them to claim the seal "No keyboard was harmed in the making of this episode". RIP little Apple Adjustable Keyboard, little angel gone too quickly.

Thanks to point me to Xah Lee's pages, I have red a few during the last week-end (I've also found those two lists). For the record I've been quite enthusiast about the keyboard.IO since its early public start... but I've now been waiting enough for an ISO-FR version of it. I'm close to hopeless on that, so I'm searching an actual existing keyboard fitting "ergonomic/mechanical/not too much compromises/mature/styled". That's where the ErgoDox seems to be the best fit so far.

razykiller10

23 Oct 2019, 23:57

gipetto wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 21:35
Findecanor wrote:
razykiller10 wrote:
here's proof that the same shell at least comes with acer switches.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/com ... _w_paypal/
Unexpected, thank you guys!

davkol

24 Oct 2019, 01:06

fneuf wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 21:59
For the record I've been quite enthusiast about the keyboard.IO since its early public start... but I've now been waiting enough for an ISO-FR version of it. I'm close to hopeless on that, so I'm searching an actual existing keyboard fitting "ergonomic/mechanical/not too much compromises/mature/styled". That's where the ErgoDox seems to be the best fit so far.
Can anyone IDENTIFY and explain the thought process behind this to me?

Neither has anything to do with ISO, and the main difference between the two is that Keyboardio Model 01, besides being a much nicer product, has actually good thumb-key placement.

fneuf

24 Oct 2019, 09:02

Maybe that an ErgoDox welcomes pretty much any keyset (including ISO-FR labelled ones) in the market, where one of the main interest of the IO is to have carefully carved individual specific keys? And, 4 ½ years after public release, we yet have to see alternates keysets for the IO?

davkol

24 Oct 2019, 09:49

There are only alternative blank sets: both painted and unpainted, so you can paint/laser them by yourself, if you insist. (Although I've seen something like runes too; no idea if they've advertised it anywhere.) I don't see the point, though. I don't think people get the keyboard to look at keycaps; there are even official overlays to hang next to the screen so that users don't have to look down.

fneuf

24 Oct 2019, 10:07

Didn't knew about the paintable/laserable/labelables ones. Could be really interesting, thanks for the tip. Do you know if by any chance someone offers custom painting/lasering services for such case?

The printing solution, however clever and earthly it may be, is not a solution but a compromise to me. For example, maybe that even if I do not need to look at my keys to type, I want to provide anyone in my family the ability to use my keyboard, so that clean labelling still is a priority. Not all of them seeks to be typing proficient, nor I want to impose that skill to them. Technology is not supposed to be "obfuscated" on purpose. And also, how basic this may sound, at this level of priceset, as a consumer, I feel entitled to a no compromise policy.

davkol

24 Oct 2019, 11:01

The whole argument is probably moot, because other people will give up as soon as they want to use arrows or any other key that isn't physically present or the layout places it somewhere else (e.g., thumb Shift). At that point, just leave a standard keyboard lying around.

This is normal for specialty equipment. For example, other people can't ride my bike, because it has clip-in pedals that are nearly unusable without compatible cycling shoes. I'm sure you can think of many other examples.

To the point, I think the easiest solution is to get unpainted keycaps (they're yellowish and probably not advertised at shop.keyboard.io) and custom decals (or a custom paint around the decals).

I can't think of any suitable laser service that would be cheap enough off the top of my head.

SpacemanToby

24 Oct 2019, 16:16

Just curious, anyone know what kind of switches these are?

https://imgur.com/a/TVVNoWh

I saw someone post about it over at /r/vintagecomputing

https://imgur.com/gallery/4j9sWnT

Chyros

24 Oct 2019, 17:44

SpacemanToby wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 16:16
Just curious, anyone know what kind of switches these are?

https://imgur.com/a/TVVNoWh

I saw someone post about it over at /r/vintagecomputing

https://imgur.com/gallery/4j9sWnT
Key Tronic magnetic reed (or, small chance, the block version of their foam and foil switches)

PlacaFromHell

25 Oct 2019, 00:20

What is this thing?

spongebob1981

25 Oct 2019, 16:54

That right shift plus \ combo looks like BTC to me. So slider over dome or foam and foil. Not 100% sure though.

picklefart9

26 Oct 2019, 21:23

r/mk recommended I post here with this one...

I bought a Canon AP 350 typewriter originally to clean up and use (because the linear keyswitches and keycaps are awesome). Looking on the Deskthority wiki, it appears to be mostly ALPS SKCC Green switches, but then I see this thread that indicates at least a few of the switches are unique double-actuation switches: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22793. Unfortunately the typewriter itself is hopelessly broken, so I'm hoping to instead make a USB a keyboard out of the keycaps and switches.
IMG_20191026_110357.jpg
IMG_20191026_110357.jpg (374.85 KiB) Viewed 8346 times
So two things:
  • Am I correct that these are SKCC Green and some related switch as describe above?
  • I'd like to make use of these amazing switches and keycaps if possible, but how? I've seen converters for the IBM Pingmaster keyboards, but I doubt they would be compatible with this. I've also read suggestions to hand-wire the SKCC switches if you want to make a board out of it, but I'm too novice to do that (unless maybe I could use Amoeba PCBs).

zrrion

27 Oct 2019, 01:00

If I understand their construction correctly there is a ribbon cable that goes from the board to the brains in the back. That cable should have the rows/columns. Since the board appears to have n-key rollover you do not need to hand-wire but you could if you wanted to. If I were you I would wire the ribbon cable to a controller and program it. then you would just need a case for it.

picklefart9

27 Oct 2019, 02:14

zrrion wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 01:00
If I were you I would wire the ribbon cable to a controller and program it. then you would just need a case for it.
I'll look into that sometime, thanks for the feedback! I do indeed see a ribbon cable extending toward the back. Is there anywhere the current wiring is documented or somebody that has successfully programmed one yet?

zrrion

27 Oct 2019, 05:48

I do not believe so. Typewriters tend to not get documented very thoroughly for whatever reason. I was planning to convert mine but the typewriter works so I am keeping it to occasionally use.
I use soarers controller when I am reverse engineering a matrix as it is pretty easy to make small changes to and doesn't require much to get off the ground, and once I have the matrix figured out I ditch soarers for like QMK or something.

purdobol

27 Oct 2019, 09:53

You have to check if there's no IC on the keyboard module itself. Typewriters with screens often have decoder/demultiplexer in them. If there's none, figuring the matrix is the best way like zrrion said.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7&start=

Keybug

27 Oct 2019, 22:59

Anyone care for some potato-spotting in this very nasty pile? Some of these appear to have been sun-toasted to a fine crisp! :lol:

Well, I can spot a Cherry 1000 at the top right and a Model M(?) at the top left of the pile. Possibly the wavy sides of one or two AEKs further down. Something Siemens-Nixdorfy at the bottom right, but I haven't put too much effort into it.

Certainly interesting though most seem to be in pretty horrid condition... :cry:
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (225.8 KiB) Viewed 8120 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (225.8 KiB) Viewed 8120 times

ppCircle

27 Oct 2019, 23:03

Keybug wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 22:59
Anyone care for some potato-spotting in this very nasty pile? Some of these appear to have been sun-toasted to a fine crisp! :lol:

Well, I can spot a Cherry 1000 at the top right and a Model M(?) at the top left of the pile. Possibly the wavy sides of one or two AEKs further down. Something Siemens-Nixdorfy at the bottom right, but I haven't put too much effort into it.

Certainly interesting though most seem to be in pretty horrid condition... :cry:
Two chicony 53xx?
One inside (also that keyboard under it looks interesting) and one on bottom left.

Return to “Keyboards”