Bigfoot Toshiba branded.

amospalla
let's go

15 May 2015, 01:37

I bought a used Bigfoot Toshiba branded.

I bought it for its keycaps hoping those were PBT for my Matias Quiet Pro, and I am quite enjoying these keycaps, much better than the original ABS that comes with the board.

I am not sure what could be interesting about it to post on the wiki besides Thosiba sold this model under his brand, so I am asking about some guide here.

Here are some photos. Later I will post some photo of the Matias with its keycaps :D

This is the rear of the backspace key:

This is how the Matias keyboard looks with the keycaps. Some of the original keycaps could not be replaced.
Last edited by amospalla on 20 May 2015, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

15 May 2015, 05:17

Not re-branded, just branded. Alps is the manufacturer. They made (what collectors call) the "Bigfoot" models for many brands .. but Dell is the most famous. ;)
Please do add to the Bigfoot page with "Toshiba", manufacturing year and which switch variant that is in it.

terrpn

15 May 2015, 05:28

that keyboard has "salmon alps" if i am not mistaken?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 May 2015, 09:35

yes let's see a shot of the switch please.

Chyros

15 May 2015, 09:49

Ah, an old-logo AT101 ^^ . These are really nice boards - even the ones with SKCM Blacks are really good (the black Alps in GYUM97SK are considerably superior to those in the AT101W). This one should have Salmon Alps though, which are also very nice.

Does this model come with the added steel weight plate in the bottom as well? I used to have a rather broken Dell-branded GYIAT101-102 but I disassembled it.

Compgeke

15 May 2015, 17:25

terrpn wrote: that keyboard has "salmon alps" if i am not mistaken?
Yeah, it does. The owner mentioned that it had Salmons on IRC before posting it here.

amospalla
let's go

15 May 2015, 17:38

I'm replying later at home! (and correcting my english mistakes, thank you for corrections really)

Yes, it has salmon alps. Its FCC ID GYIAT101-102 is referenced on the wiki also, stating it, but says it is made in USA, and this unit of mine states being made in Ireland. Something to add.

amospalla
let's go

20 May 2015, 22:27

Added some photos of the switches and another of the Matias with the Toshiba keycaps, and references on the wiki.

I really like its cable.
Last edited by amospalla on 21 May 2015, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

21 May 2015, 00:42

Wow, that is ONE coiled cable! Looks good mate :) .

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 May 2015, 04:44

Chyros wrote: Wow, that is ONE coiled cable! Looks good mate :) .
Yeah I love a shiny black coiled cable. mmmm

TicTocTom

31 Jan 2018, 04:59

I'm going to do something similar with my Matias Tactile Pro. I'll probably keep a lot of the original alphabet keys, and swap out all the other keys that fit. Nice job.

rich1051414

31 Jan 2018, 14:09

I am not sure mine can really even be called a Matias keyboard anymore :P
DSC_0529.JPG
DSC_0529.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 3551 times

TicTocTom

31 Jan 2018, 15:56

What did you paint the case with? It looks like sand.

rich1051414

31 Jan 2018, 16:15

TicTocTom wrote: What did you paint the case with? It looks like sand.
In person it looks like granite. It's a textured spray paint. You can get it here.

The reason mine looks more gray than beige is because I did not add a base coat over the black shell, and the additional black hue shining through tints the paint gray instead of beige. I liked the look so I stopped.

I then put 2 coats of matte clear coat over it to protect it. I used this.

I just really hated the shiny plastic on the case so I thought I would get creative to remedy it. If it looked bad, it was only me that had to see it :P

andrewjoy

31 Jan 2018, 17:17

rich1051414 wrote:
I just really hated the shiny plastic on the case so I thought I would get creative to remedy it. If it looked bad, it was only me that had to see it :P

I honestly don't know who started this shiny plastic thing but they need to be punished, it ( like feminism ) poisons everything.

rich1051414

31 Jan 2018, 19:08

Whether I agree with statement or not, no need to talk about it here. Time and place. There's other forums for that :)

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

01 Feb 2018, 13:16

There's a pretty long list of manufacturers who used the Alps big-foot as their keyboard, including a number which were only sold in Japan with the JIS layout. Building up a list of the different branding in the wiki is useful though :)

Return to “Keyboards”