IBM PC-XT keyboard (Model F style)

arfink

12 Aug 2011, 20:40

I have had an old IBM PC-XT keyboard for some time. It's the original XT style keyboard, sometimes known as a Model F, though I guess that really just refers to the capacitive sensing switch that's used.

I have been considering building a KBDBabel adapter, which seems within my skill level, but I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives, as converting from XT to PS/2 to USB would not only be cumbersome but would also probably require more power than most USB ports will provide. Keep in mind that I am perfectly willing to sacrifice this board's ability to be used with an XT, as I do not own one.

The first thing I thought of was just rewiring the matrix sans-pcb, until I realised that would be impossible because the switches are capacitive, not regular contact-based switches.

As another alternative I'm willing to trade this IBM PC-XT style board for an IBM PC-AT style one. Not that anyone here would have one to trade.

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Aug 2011, 22:06

No one will trade you, this is exactly the reason why the XT keyboard is relatively cheap and the AT one expensive. ;)

Findecanor

12 Aug 2011, 22:43

You could build yourself a XT-to-USB adapter. Buy a Teensy 2.0 USB microcontroller board for $16, solder a port to it and upload Soarer's XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter firmware to it. You can buy a Teensy with pins if you don't want to solder directly on it. You may want to build a case for it, though.

I have also heard that there would exist another type of XT-to-USB adapter somewhere, but I don't know the details, but I heard that the price would be $60 or so, which is more than three times the price of a Teensy.

arfink

13 Aug 2011, 03:39

webwit wrote:No one will trade you, this is exactly the reason why the XT keyboard is relatively cheap and the AT one expensive. ;)
I totally understand that no one would trade me. I should have made that more obviously a joke. :)
Findecanor wrote:You could build yourself a XT-to-USB adapter. Buy a Teensy 2.0 USB microcontroller board for $16, solder a port to it and upload Soarer's XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter firmware to it. You can buy a Teensy with pins if you don't want to solder directly on it. You may want to build a case for it, though.

I have also heard that there would exist another type of XT-to-USB adapter somewhere, but I don't know the details, but I heard that the price would be $60 or so, which is more than three times the price of a Teensy.
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Aug 2011, 12:51

Maybe someone will trade you for a Fujitsu Peerless! :)

arfink

13 Aug 2011, 19:24

lol

Return to “Keyboards”