Post a picture of your ideal keyboard layout!

depletedvespene

04 May 2019, 01:02

davkol wrote:
03 May 2019, 21:30
Turkish uses Latin script and F Keyboard is a hugely successful national layout. There have been attempts to replace it by Q Keyboard, specifically because of stuff like the aforementioned hotkeys, and that trend is a classic example of underlying imperialism that comes with US-exported computing technology. Especially East Asian countries have a long history of issues with that, but not only them: it already happened in the times of early typewriter technology (how foreign manufacturers w/ QWERTY-based layouts overran local designs, e.g., in France)... and now I wonder if this will totally derail the thread.
I wonder if this argument could be a good basis for a redesign of the keyboard(s) where everything non-language related is common (minus the actual legends on keys, like Shift/Mayús/Maj/⇑/...), common user functions are made into dedicated keys (imagine the XT/AT layouts' F1..F10 columns, but with the ten most used CUA commands, again in local languages only), and then the alpha block and the num block and only those vary according to each national/language variant, with whatever Alt/Ctrl-letter/number commands might remain required to refer to a key's coordinate instead of its letter.

I know, this wouldn't be good enough for every language, but at least many of them could be properly supported, with each being valued in as good of a manner as the others. And yes, this would require revisiting plenty of national layouts and perhaps even redoing them and... (I should stop now before starting to shill my stuff :mrgreen:).

Lanrefni

04 May 2019, 02:02

depletedvespene wrote:
04 May 2019, 00:50
Lanrefni wrote:
03 May 2019, 19:03
A proper large split ortho should include a center Numpad-

All the keys of a full size,but in a nice compact ortho layout,if you need insert/delete/etc they are on the Numpad where they belong.
This a pair of BFO-9000 PCBs? Those came out (or, more precisely, I learned they existed) after my time toying around with ortholinear stuff. The 15×5 matrix of the XD75 felt limiting (and so did the SOLBUS cluster), and sometimes I wonder what could have I done with a pair of those instead.
Yup,BFO-9000 with custom plates.
The pcb's are still pretty cheap at $20,and keeb.io now offers acrylic plates on their site as well,so no need to custom anything other switch and layout now.

User101

06 May 2019, 08:51

probably the closest one can get to a Selectric layout without a Selectric?
Attachments
20190428_203939.jpg
20190428_203939.jpg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 284 times

tucvbif

15 May 2019, 22:47

I gonna make a board with this layout:Image. I wanna try shift keys next to spacebars, like in some old soviet computers, left-handed arrow keys and dedicated cut-copy-paste and undo/redo keys.

vvp

15 May 2019, 22:57

Splitting space bar is a move in the right direction!

depletedvespene

16 May 2019, 00:55

tucvbif wrote:
15 May 2019, 22:47
I gonna make a board with this layout:Image. I wanna try shift keys next to spacebars, like in some old soviet computers, left-handed arrow keys and dedicated cut-copy-paste and undo/redo keys.
Interesting ideas - some pretty radical (and I DID notice that TIE over there :mrgreen:). FWIW, when I toyed with a design for a 75%-ish keyboard with the navigation keys on the left side, this is what I came up with:

left75.png
A possible 75%-ish layout, with the navigation keys on the left side.
left75.png (207.86 KiB) Viewed 163 times

I do wonder if dedicated copy/paste keys would be best placed on the lower right corner or whether it'd be more practical to place them (along with Undo and Redo) in a dedicated column (on the right side, in both these layouts). Only one way to find out! :D

Findecanor

16 May 2019, 02:11

--Never mind. Please delete--

orihalcon

16 May 2019, 05:05

I've always loved thumb shift keyboards myself:
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 125 times
Perhaps one day with the help of Wcass, I might bring something like it to life :D

Return to “Keyboards”