Adding home key bumps that last.

Mal-2

12 Jun 2015, 15:55

Part of the difficulty of using an alternate layout is that the home key bumps are out of place. Getting rid of the old ones is generally not too hard, but what can be done about raising new ones? I have been using a dab of hot glue, but that either wears down or gets squashed flat over the course of months (or some combination of both). Worse, on the relegendable key lenses, the glue doesn't stick well and slides off after a week or two. This led me to think of a way to permanently add bumps to a key. In the past, I've used hot metal pressed against the front edge of the key to raise a lip. That works OK in ABS, but not at all in POM (and presumably wouldn't work well in PBT either), and even in ABS it's kind of ugly.

Here's what did work for me.

You'll need: plastic toothpicks, a drill with a very small bit (or something equivalent, you can do this with an X-Acto knife if you're patient), and a place you can drill through without hitting anything underneath. If it's buckling spring or rubber dome, you'll have a hollow stem you can go through, which will work just fine. If it's Cherry MX, you'll be forced to place your bump off center unless you can go right up the middle of the mount (probably possible, but you may need to modify these directions).

Start by drilling a hole through the key where you want your bump to end up, subject to the condition above (it has to be clear underneath). You can do this drilling from the top down or the bottom up, depending on the construction of your keys. This hole must be smaller than the maximum diameter of your plastic toothpick, but large enough that you can insert enough toothpick to get through the top of the key.

Second, insert your plastic toothpick into the hole. Assuming you used a drill bit and not a knife or something, you should have a nice cylindrical hole, which means the toothpick will wedge at the same point whether inserted from above or below. Take advantage of this fact, and insert it from above, then mark where it stops. You want to cut it a little bit longer than that, and have the extra diameter act like a screw or nail head. Then re-insert it from below. You'll have a pointy spike sticking out of the key. Carefully melt this, forming something like the plastic rivets that hold a Model M together. Once it cools, it will be too large to be pushed out from either the top or the bottom. Then file or shave it down to the size you want.

If you screw it up, trim off the rivet head and push the piece of toothpick out. Make another one. If you made the taper just big enough to be a friction fit, you may be able to force it through the hole from below. Or, just drill it out with an even tinier drill bit.
rivet.jpg
rivet.jpg (229.13 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
This particular lens was pretty heavily frosted to start with, which is why I chose it for this experiment. The direct application of flame caused the area of greater transparency. If I had to do it again, I'd do two things: first, I'd choose a slightly less sucky lens. Second, I'd put tape over the regions I didn't want affected. However, this effect is much more evident in a photograph than it is in person, and I am perfectly satisfied using this key lens. I can imagine it being a problem with ABS though, so you probably want to mask off the excess as well.

If you can't get through the key where you want the bump, perhaps just a deep blind hole will do. Force-fit the toothpick chunk from the top, clip it off, and melt/file/shave it to shape. This could find its way back out if handled roughly, but that wouldn't be a huge disaster if you still had access to your donor plastic.

For donor plastic, I used Dentek Triple Clean flossers. They're nice and pointy and have a gentle taper appropriate to the task, and also melt relatively easily. They're also cheap and easy to find.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Jun 2015, 16:37

Good solution. I'd be hesitant to drill into that lens but as I can see it works.

Mal-2

12 Jun 2015, 16:48

seebart wrote: Good solution. I'd be hesitant to drill into that lens but as I can see it works.
*shrug* I only have about 50 spares.

Here's what it looks like done on a normal key, for which I have no spares. It's slightly off-center because of the support beam underneath, but not enough to matter.
rivet1.jpg
rivet1.jpg (358.32 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
rivet2.jpg
rivet2.jpg (178.22 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

Return to “Keyboards”