Has your keyboard enthusiasm ever decreased?

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

02 Jul 2015, 19:20

Lately my enthusiasm for keyboards has decreased to the point where I no longer care that much about my collection. I used to be all about trying out new switches and boarding new projects (I even bought an AEK2 and a controller as a small project, recently) but lately I've not been really in the mood.

Honestly after trying out the HHKB2 I feel like everything else I own is just not up to par, bringing a frustrating typing experience. I am considering selling most of my (very humble) collection because it's just collecting some dust while someone could be actively using it. I barely even browse DT or reddit anymore, I just lost interest.

Has any of you gone through this feeling? Don't wanna feel stupid for selling my stuff later on :P

acolombo

02 Jul 2015, 19:29

What I think is you're lucky. It would be much better for me to waste less time lurking on deskthority or reddit, and not spending all my money on keyboards

jbondeson

02 Jul 2015, 19:56

I'm with Incognito on this one.

I'm a big homebrewer and last year I went through a rough patch of health and work issues, and didn't even have the energy to think about brewing in that time. The stress just infected everything and robbed me of any joy I was getting from my hobbies.

At the same time, I would say you should look at why you got into the hobby in the first place and see if that still holds for you now.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Jul 2015, 20:20

My prediction is your enthusiasm will return Spikebolt! And your new HHKB only validates your keyboard enthusiasm! Just chill. I have personally not felt that way, but my enthusiasm also varies.

Muirium
µ

02 Jul 2015, 20:37

Nice advice, all.

I'd be worried if you suddenly found yourself settling for a piece of shit keyboard, instead of one the best in the world. That really would be turning against everything good and reasonable!

Obviously I'm still pretty deep into all this stuff — an incessant chatterer here at DT no matter what the subject — but even I've found parts of my interest fade. I used to be all about custom keyboards, but after putting a lot of hours and painstaking work into a few projects, with assistance from Matteo no less, I found (coincidence?) Topre to be so much superior to the custom MX experience that I had to question what I was doing.

I already loved IBM for the loud stuff, so MX was squeezed in a little space marked "switches aren't great but I control the layout". Guess what though? The HHKB has an amazing layout. I was floored. I couldn't even make a smaller custom board to rival the HHKB. It was an impossible fight with a champion.

If it weren't for all those Round 5 caps I'd ordered in the meantime, I may well have zero MX boards today. And knowing me I'd be the most atrocious Topre snob! What would I do then? Collect them all like 002? Ah, but I don't like fullsize boards. There's really nothing in the Topre world that beats the HHKB for me. Maybe the µTRON, but only maybe. Gah!

Then I got into beamspring, and damped Alps, and blah de blah de blah. Am I looking for something else for a reason? Really, what is the cause for this quest? I don't know. I feel like some mythic adventurer who went to the fabled land, had his arse kicked a few times, but found his prize, and yet doesn't want to go home yet. I'm still travelling, looking at the scenery, taking my taste of what's around. Direction unknown. Surrounded by you guys!

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Jul 2015, 21:47

Pack up all your keyboards, except one, and bury them in a closet under a bunch of clothes that don't fit any more.

At some point in the future, you will become bored with that one, and curious about the others again.

seebart

02 Jul 2015, 21:52

Ha that's perfect advice fohat! You know what your talking about from experience. I can tell.

Muirium
µ

02 Jul 2015, 21:55

I should bury my clothes under my keyboards. Plenty enough of them are useless in summer anyway.

Findecanor

02 Jul 2015, 22:40

I am past the phase of collecting different switches. I have always been more into building keyboards anyway. However, with the projects I have it feels more like a chore than it feels like fun. So I tend to lay it off for a while but I do find that the spark ignites a couple months later and then I work a little bit more.

SL89

02 Jul 2015, 22:44

My collection is being built up to be used. I havent decreased enthusiasm, but I have decreased the velocity of purchases. I want thinks to be more precise, as opposed to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) like I tend to do with guitars, cars etc.

Air tree

02 Jul 2015, 22:52

I think something I need to give my self more enthusiasm is I need to buy more keyboards. I have been only using my HHKB for a while now and I could really need something else to type on.

I'm hoping that project with making a brand new kishsaver will work out so I can try capacitive BS in the form of a lovely 62 key layout. :D

TLDR, I need more keyboards..

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

03 Jul 2015, 00:16

Thanks for the solid advice from all of you. I think I'll open a sales thread tomorrow to sell some of my MX/MY keyboards but I will try to at least keep once of each switch, just in case I forget how they feel later on :P Except MY, I'll sell everything I have XD

I think part of my enthusiasm has faded because I enjoyed Topre more than any other switch I tried before and there's really not much to look forward to. Maybe I wanna try a FC660C or something but nothing I'd be particularly interested or excited about, you know?

Custom builds are fun, rather expensive, but fun. But I'd have to settle for MX reds or something. Meh. I used to love custom keycaps (even made a dyeing guide), but there's really no market for Topre. I joined the TA drop but I'll probably not use it.

photekq
Cherry Picker

03 Jul 2015, 00:24

My enthusiasm has dropped a lot. Mostly because I've been searching for the same few boards for like 2 years now. The search is no longer fun, it's just frustrating. Now with members from China paying about 4x what I thought was a reasonable price, it feels like it's hopeless.

I'm still interested in keyboards, I still enjoy owning and collecting them, but I feel a lot of the excitement I once felt has gone. I found the best rare Cherry keyboard I've found so far a week or so back. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but it really is a 10/10 on the rarity scale, one that I never thought I'd ever be able to find, one that I've only seen once before. Despite all this I felt little to no excitement upon finding it.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

03 Jul 2015, 00:27

photekq wrote: It really is a 10/10 on the rarity scale
What is it, Hebrew dyesubs?

photekq
Cherry Picker

03 Jul 2015, 00:28

guk wrote:
Hebrew dyesubs, surprisingly, aren't all that rare. At least not in China.

It is dyesubs though.. :mrgreen:

I don't actually have it yet. Waiting for a shipping quote. I also found it about 6 months ago, but did not hear from the seller until recently.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

03 Jul 2015, 00:31

Sounds intrigueing, waiting for pics. :P

pyrelink

03 Jul 2015, 01:30

I have found that with my hobbies, I can be really intense about them. Keyboards could occupy all of my brain power for months at a time, and slowly I will stop caring, and focus all of my attention on another random hobby. And it will take a little while, before something sparks my interest again and I get way back into it. Granted I am weird, but even when my attention and devotion to keyboards wanes, I never feel like I will ever enjoy them again. I always know I will eventually come back.

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Jul 2015, 01:34

I will admit that I have something over a dozen keyboards in boxes in the basement that represents more of an "archive" than a collection. I have 1 each of several switch types that I like, and some variations on those, if applicable.

Then I have at least 1 each of 2 variants each of Model M and Model F, plus this F-122 that will probably be on my desk until it breaks or wears out.

Honestly, none of these have seen the light of day in months, and some, years.

Theoretically, I may build another couple of Alps boards, but with an Omnikey 101 with blues transplanted into it, and a Filco Zero with oranges, about the only thing left is a Kingsaver or perhaps another Omnikey, possibly with new Matias instead of ancient originals.

There are 2 actual Cherry projects that I may consider undertaking in the future: (1) jailhouse green, and (2) ergo or panda clear, both with the softest and thinnest O-rings I can find. But that is far down the road, and as long as I am employed I do not see giving up the numpad that I use all the time.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Jul 2015, 09:06

Spikebolt wrote: Lately my enthusiasm for keyboards has decreased to the point where I no longer care that much about my collection. I used to be all about trying out new switches and boarding new projects (I even bought an AEK2 and a controller as a small project, recently) but lately I've not been really in the mood.

Honestly after trying out the HHKB2 I feel like everything else I own is just not up to par, bringing a frustrating typing experience. I am considering selling most of my (very humble) collection because it's just collecting some dust while someone could be actively using it. I barely even browse DT or reddit anymore, I just lost interest.

Has any of you gone through this feeling? Don't wanna feel stupid for selling my stuff later on :P
this happened exactly to me after getting my hhkb2 as well and i've only recently gotten back into things after almost a year (building a 60% and buying/selling things again).

hhkb is a good board, you're happy with it, no need to change for the sake of change :maverick:

snoopy

03 Jul 2015, 09:24

yes, my enthusiasm decreased very much over the last months... I already sold a part of my collection.

Maybe its cause of summer and I don't spend much time in front of my computer?

I still enjoy my realforce at work, or my Model F at home... but I don't feel the need to continously grow my collection or collect this or this. It's more the feeling that I should thin out my collection and keep some stuff that I enjoy and use.

Khers

03 Jul 2015, 09:51

My urge to get new keyboards has recently declined. As a matter of fact, it was after I got my first HHKB (I had to get two in the end - one for work and one for home. I don't like to carry things around). I have a list of things that I will buy if I get the chance, but I'm not really actively searching for it anymore. Part of the reason is that most of it is too difficult to find, at least for a reasonable price. Additionally, I somehow know that the HHKB is still going to be my main keyboard, whatever I find.

That ones interest in a hobby goes up and down is rather normal I'd say. The difference for me is that with keyboards, I've joined and taken part in the community. And stayed (ok, half a year or so isn't that long but still). I think a large part of that is offtopicthority. It's wonderful!

vvp

03 Jul 2015, 10:02

Khers wrote: Additionally, I somehow know that the HHKB is still going to be my main keyboard, whatever I find.
That's because you did not find Kinesis Advantage or Maltron yet. If you do not intend to carry keyboards around then contoured keyboards are much more comfortable.

andrewjoy

03 Jul 2015, 10:11

has anyone ever done a comprehensive commission of maltron vs kinesis ?

HzFaq

03 Jul 2015, 10:24

My interest waxes and wanes, sometimes I'm in the mood to try new switches, sometimes I'm in the mood to build new things, sometimes I'm happy sitting back and keeping an eye on the forums to see what everyone else is doing. A lot of it depends on what's going on in my private life, Mrs has just gone back to working evenings so I've got a bit more free time (in theory) to work on new things than I had previously.

The kids have kind of limited my time with the hobby which has actually helped me stay a little more interested; if I had loads of free time and money I'd have probably tried everything I wanted to by now and be bored wondering what's next :D. As it is, I still don't own any IBM boards so if I get bored of Cherry/Alps I can always go down that route :D.

Madhias
BS TORPE

03 Jul 2015, 12:26

Until I got my Realforce keyboard, and used my SSK on a daily basis at work, I was not much interested in other keyboards anymore. I also have a beamspring, but that's too loud, too heavy, the layout, etc.

But it is like waves for me: 2 months keyboard addiction, 2 months not interested. But then I am into photography for example. Or maybe doing outdoor stuff. It changes all the time.

Now interest came back: I am interested in a NovaTouch or want to try out MX sliders on a Realforce keyboard. I love keycaps, and waiting for my Round 5 order, some caps from Ivan, and also the Triumph Adler caps. I really want to get that TX1800 I ordered a while ago and pimp it with all things the keyboard Oracle told me I have to use. Golden springs, lube, etc.

And: there are always artisan caps, which I really like because it is a little bit different to complete keyboards as interest. Maybe some people played collecting card games sometimes in the past, or collected Star Wars toys, etc. It is the same!
WHAT IS IT? TELL US NOW!
HzFaq wrote: The kids have kind of limited my time with the hobby which has actually helped me stay a little more interested; if I had loads of free time and money I'd have probably tried everything I wanted to by now and be bored wondering what's next :D.
That is absolutely true! If you have spent too much time in a short period of time, and that too heavily and intensive, you could get bored fast. Better within some natural interval.

seebart

03 Jul 2015, 12:35

guk wrote:
Some rare dyesubs that I forgot about because I find them boring. Sorry photekq. :evilgeek:

samuelnsh

03 Jul 2015, 16:35

Seeing how a lot of you stopped growing your collection after getting an HHKB... I'm kinda worried about getting one and letting it end my keyboard hobby :(.

Should I just get one and end the money sinkhole (though so far it's less a sinkhole than headphones for me :P), or should I wait for another few years? :D

HzFaq

03 Jul 2015, 16:36

FWIW, I don't like my HHKB.

seebart

03 Jul 2015, 16:42

samuelnsh wrote: Seeing how a lot of you stopped growing your collection after getting an HHKB... I'm kinda worried about getting one and letting it end my keyboard hobby :(.

Should I just get one and end the money sinkhole (though so far it's less a sinkhole than headphones for me :P), or should I wait for another few years? :D
No it did not work for me that way because HHKB is not even in my top 5 favorites. I do like the Topre switch, but I'm not a 60% type of guy. Now if I got a Realforce that might change. Might not. The only two reasons I'm not buying as many keyboards anymore is that I got a lot of what I wanted by now. My quest was to own one of each that I thought I would like. There is not much left, that I know of! Have you been able to try the Topre switch? You might not like it!
HzFaq wrote: FWIW, I don't like my HHKB.
You being serious? You don't like it at all?
Last edited by seebart on 03 Jul 2015, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

jbondeson

03 Jul 2015, 16:43

I had a F660C and really didn't like it. Topre is just like any other switch: some love it, some hate it, and most are probably indifferent.

They're also very expensive so you do have some post-purchase rationalization that muddies the issue as well. ;)

Return to “Keyboards”