GeekHack Custom Keyboard

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 22:58

OTD changed their access policies. You need to be logged in now for all content. Anyway, the keyboard is nothing like the Archiss/Leopold. All OTD custom keyboards are made from a solid (usually aluminium) metal case, cnc carved.

J888www

17 Feb 2011, 23:10

Nice, was very curious in regard to the high purchase price for kit-form, now I know. Also, are there any more infos on the 356 Mini (manufacturer/cost/etcetera), it's the second time I seen this kbd and I still am in the dark, any links would be great.
Minskleip wrote:Tenkeyless minimalist? It's enormous still........remove the arrow section as well.
You are talking about the 356 Mini ?
Last edited by J888www on 17 Feb 2011, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 23:16

As it happens, I am actually writing a rather long article explaining all the Korean custom keyboards and their history. However, I have not yet received full permission to publish everything from the OTD gods, so it will be delayed by a bit. OTD guys are rather overcautious after a certain company stole their design from the 356 series.

The 356 mini is made of aluminium too, it was available in 4(?) different colors: black, red, silver and "Dolch" colored. It has the Aikon controller built into the PCB design, allowing for full custom programming of every key on three layers.

The price for the set was around 350000 won (~315 USD). The set includes the cnc'ed anodized aluminium body, steel plate, pcb and all SMD parts. You have to come up with the cable, switches and keycaps on your own.

I believe webwit managed to trade something off for one, so I guess we will soon see the first English review of that board ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Feb 2011, 23:28

Here's a video of me soldering an Aikon on a 356 mini pcb. I taught them everything.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 23:34

And then you woke up.

PS: Did you wreck your PCB yet? :P

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Feb 2011, 23:36

Most certainly not, which is probably related to the fact I don't have it yet.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 23:42

I'm waiting for some cool stuff from Korea too right now. They had some pretty heavy snow and very delayed shipments because of that.

Not like it matters, already fucked again anyway. I love Germany.

J888www

17 Feb 2011, 23:43

Trading is a very nice word, I have a couple of NIB comptekw2k Minis and a NIB Monterey SIIG Mini (I still don't have the heart to use in case I dirty the KBD).
I'll wait for your review.
Heard mentioned somewhere that they also have options of switch compatibility, now wondering if it's possible for them to cut the PCB and plate for Monterey switches.

Miniature soldering, I just cannot resist a challenge and would love it, but probably need to trim off the excess hair on my paws for fear of singeing myself.

Minskleip

17 Feb 2011, 23:47

J888www wrote:
Minskleip wrote:Tenkeyless minimalist? It's enormous still........remove the arrow section as well.
You are talking about the 356 Mini ?
Not specifically.. the HHKB ofcourse is superawesome, but the Minitouch is also nice. Just have to reprogram it. That would be a cool mod: put a Teensy with Hasu's PS2 to USB firmware in there. Get some custom keycaps and blue Alps and it'd be superawesome.

J888www

17 Feb 2011, 23:57

I have three SIIG MiniTouches (two with White Alps Mod [both in everyday usage] and a NIB Monterey [in storage]), maybe just maybe the 356 Mini format/material have a little Je ne sais quoi especially the anodized aluminium body, build quality, well that will depend on how steady I can keep my paws. I'm not quite so sure about the Steel Plate though, it defeats the objective of having a light yet strong casing (Al) then to increase the weight again and I am far too frail to go lugging steel plates on my back.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 02:20

webwit wrote:Thanks for the info mass! Much appreciated. Those OTD keyboards are the best Cherry/Alps keyboards money can buy. I illustrated your story earlier in this picture..

I think I need to switch the first two positions now overclock has its own branded Ducky line.

Crazy9000

18 Feb 2011, 02:36

webwit wrote:
I think I need to switch the first two positions now overclock has its own branded Ducky line.
Geekhack will be thrilled.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 07:29

Hah, I just saw the overclock ducky... almost impressed.

keyboardlover

18 Feb 2011, 13:36

At least GH does double shot group buys.

Meanwhile at OCN..."what's double shot??"

Minskleip

18 Feb 2011, 13:41

I'd rather have the dolch replikas than a 104 ducky with a sticker.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 14:41

Me not. Those signatureplastics keycaps suck. Premium price for thin keycaps with molding artifacts in front.

itlnstln

18 Feb 2011, 14:47

sixty wrote:Hah, I just saw the overclock ducky... almost impressed.
And that, folks, is how you make it happen. Don't dick around with bullshit polls and people's suggestions. Just put some shit out there for people to buy (or not). More than likely, people will buy it. In fact, I might just buy one out of spite.

itlnstln

18 Feb 2011, 14:52

webwit wrote:Me not. Those signatureplastics keycaps suck. Premium price for thin keycaps with molding artifacts in front.
I was a little disappointed myself. Who molds keys with the sprue marks in front? The plastic, while probably durable, felt kinda cheap, too.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 14:53

itlnstln wrote:And that, folks, is how you make it happen. Don't dick around with bullshit polls and people's suggestions. Just put some shit out there for people to buy (or not). More than likely, people will buy it. In fact, I might just buy one out of spite.
You may say that, but I am only interested in the full sized tenkeyless in ANSI layout with the big ISO Enter and with orange/blue keycaps.

Minskleip

18 Feb 2011, 14:54

webwit wrote:molding artifacts in front.
Yes that sucks a bit.. Maybe I can fix it with a piece of string.

What other companies makes custom keycaps? Fentek?

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 14:56

itlnstln wrote:
webwit wrote:Me not. Those signatureplastics keycaps suck. Premium price for thin keycaps with molding artifacts in front.
I was a little disappointed myself. Who molds keys with the sprue marks in front? The plastic, while probably durable, felt kinda cheap, too.
I really don't get it. This is what they do. They make keycaps. Premium keycaps. If you then proceed to mold keys with marks in the front (or offer double shot cheap caps), you might as well find something else to do. Bakery is nice. Although you have to remember to put the candles on the top, not the sides.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 14:58

Devlin made/makes nice keycaps. But I think sixty mentioned something about them no longer offering the option for a set for a complete keyboard regarding double shots.

itlnstln

18 Feb 2011, 15:00

The caps you have from Devlin were nice. It would be a shame if they stopped making full sets. IIRC, they were thick like Cherry's.

EDIT: I just bought one of the OCN Duckys for the hell of it. Probably just turn around and sell it to one of the OCNers after they sell out.

bugfix

18 Feb 2011, 15:04

itlnstln wrote: EDIT: I just bought one of the OCN Duckys for the hell of it. Probably just turn around and sell it to one of the OCNers after they sell out.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 15:07

Also check this:
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=170

OCN p0wned geekhack there, no doubt about it. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Asians made it happen and took the initiative.

keyboardlover

18 Feb 2011, 15:15

itlnstln wrote: And that, folks, is how you make it happen. Don't dick around with bullshit polls and people's suggestions. Just put some shit out there for people to buy (or not). More than likely, people will buy it. In fact, I might just buy one out of spite.
My poll was to gauge interest, not put something shitty out there for morons to buy. Also, a custom "Ducky" is no more than the same turd with a different nameplate on it. My poll was more win than this.

itlnstln

18 Feb 2011, 15:20

Your poll might have been win, but there is still no GH keyboard. The Soulhunter almost made it happen (and should have) with Costar, but he folded to everyone's bickering. These cats with OCN came in and said, "here it is," and were done with it. GH got owned.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 15:44

The poll was interesting, but also showed the problem. While if you want to make something happen, the direction is plain and obvious. There is interest. Geekhack is a big community. No need to gauge. So first decide on the keyboard type. Easy, tenkeyless. Then, what kind. You can't make a super custom tenkeyless like OTD yet, forget it for now. That leaves an Asian manufacturer or brand. You're too small for the manufacturer, that leaves a brand like Leopold, Ducky, KBC, etc. Pick what you like. Equip it with signatureplastics keycaps if you like, and stuff like that. The Leopold for example has a removable logo so you could equip it with your own. If the guys making it happen can't bring the money together to get 100-200 of them, start pre-orders, with the disadvantage that the keyboards will be there many months later.

turbocharged

18 Feb 2011, 15:49

webwit wrote:The poll was interesting, but also showed the problem. While if you want to make something happen, the direction is plain and obvious. There is interest. Geekhack is a big community. No need to gauge. So first decide on the keyboard type. Easy, tenkeyless. Then, what kind. You can't make a super custom tenkeyless like OTD yet, forget it for now. That leaves an Asian manufacturer or brand. You're too small for the manufacturer, that leaves a brand like Leopold, Ducky, KBC, etc. Pick what you like. Equip it with signatureplastics keycaps if you like, and stuff like that. The Leopold for example has a removable logo so you could equip it with your own. If the guys making it happen can't bring the money together to get 100-200 of them, start pre-orders, with the disadvantage that the keyboards will be there many months later.
Exactly...I think the interest is there and the poll worked to make sure there was interest. If you just ignore all the "change this/change that" comments and just make it based on the original poll, you will sell them. The hardest part is probably the red/clear switches. But if you can make that happen people at GH will definitely pre-order them.

I just don't see what is so special about the OCN board...buy a Ducky...buy a OCN key from Tankguys...put an OCN sticker on the spacebar...profit?

keyboardlover

18 Feb 2011, 16:30

I never gave a shit about the folks who complained in the thread though. I gave a shit about the 90+ people on board. If I could find a distributor to do it. I'd go the pre order route.

Still don't get why anyone would want a Ducky with a lame forum's nameplate on it. So GH in no way got owned. Ducky is still sucky.

Return to “Keyboards”