GeekHack Custom Keyboard

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 21:00

Minskleip wrote:Fn+space to backspace is a good idea. I tried it with autohotkey for a time, but never used it. Having backspace and del on the same key is also necessary. Isn't it like that on the one you've got?

Edit: just remembered why I never used Fn+ space for backspace. I also made shift + space backspace, so I usually backspaced instead of spaced. Bad idea.
Nope, it sadly is not like that. I attached the docs for the KBC to this post, all the default keys are listed in there, check it out.
USER MANUAL_20110215.zip
(28.36 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

Minskleip

18 Feb 2011, 21:17

Curious that they chose Z and / for del. If it was X, at least it would be vi compatible ;)

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

18 Feb 2011, 21:27

It would be nice if there was some sort of end user programmability for these keyboards. You can never make everyone happy with the one layout.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 21:35

daedalus wrote:It would be nice if there was some sort of end user programmability for these keyboards. You can never make everyone happy with the one layout.
They are discussing that at KBC at the moment. It looks like they will offer a kit version that may or may not include a custom controller.

keyboardlover

18 Feb 2011, 23:47

sixty wrote: Wait a bit for the Poker to settle. I know that one will be customizable and available for OEM. If you want, I'll hook you up with the according contact and info.

As for the topic of the OCN Ducky. I am not really very impressed, but its a nice touch. Looks like most on OCN are very happy about it. We are just elitist bastards, so we are hardly impressed. ;)
Yes, if you could provide me that info I'd appreciate it. Also could you send me a replacement stabilizer with my doubleshots? (You said you ordered a ton of 'em). =)

What I was trying to say before (and I dunno if it was clear) was that anyone could do what OCN did. Selling a Ducky stamped with "OCN" is unimaginative, lame and boring. I thought GH and DKT were better than that. And certainly my goal, if I do head up or help with a custom keyboard geared towards both/either communities, IS to be better than that.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 23:55

I totally agree with you on that. I would have no interest for such a board personally. The difference with the Poker though, is access to customize the FN Layer.. sadly that is also where the old problem starts again.

Also, this was an entirely different story back then when Soulhunter wrote to Costar to have a geekhack branded keyboard, Filcos were still the coolest thing back then and no one had access to them, so that scenario is not fair anymore nowadays.

ripster

19 Feb 2011, 00:01

Actually Soulhunters Geekhack keyboard appeal was quite straightforward. Costar Filcos for like half price (and "samples" for $50 each).http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=94149&postcount=39

You either sell a "cheaper" product or a "better" product. The Soulhunter group buy was targeted at "cheaper". However after getting cheap "samples" I think he lost interest in dealing with a herd of cats.

I'm not sure what the OCN target is. OCN Clueless?

P.S. How come I can't embed links? And How come Geekhack doesn't have a spoiler tab?

keyboardlover

19 Feb 2011, 00:21

The other thing is I doubt there's much that the OCN crowd WOULDN'T buy with "OCN" stamped on it.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

19 Feb 2011, 00:30

ripster wrote: P.S. How come I can't embed links? And How come Geekhack doesn't have a spoiler tab?
Use it like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://linkhere.org]text here[/url]
The spoiler tag is a hackjob here, or rather a custom tag. I added it to save space on articles with lots of content/pics.

Olehk

12 Mar 2011, 03:47

That's sick, I want one

Crazy9000

12 Mar 2011, 04:35

sixty wrote:OCN has the advantage that Ducky already has a US distributor. I'm assuming they worked with them and skipped the shipping and organizing part.
OCN uses Tankguys store. The keyboards are all wherever that is, as opposed to being dropped shipped by Ducky (I think that's what you were saying.)

Oddly I don't think OCN worked with the US distributor. My theory is they didn't realize there was one, or they aren't set up yet.

JelinaNU

12 Mar 2011, 14:57

keyboardlover wrote:
sixty wrote:snip

What I was trying to say before (and I dunno if it was clear) was that anyone could do what OCN did. Selling a Ducky stamped with "OCN" is unimaginative, lame and boring. I thought GH and DKT were better than that. And certainly my goal, if I do head up or help with a custom keyboard geared towards both/either communities, IS to be better than that.
This is what I assumed the goal was from the catch and I support it entirely. Perhaps a few of us could come up with a setup/spec using some of your newly-received information from the various OEM manufacturers. If you hard cap the number of boards being processed then the logistics of your individual role would be significantly reduced. A hard cap also allows you to offer the board as-is, no options, freeing the whole project from the binds of forum users' mass of conflicting desired or demanded features -- and increasing exclusivity in the process.

Really, I'm hot for this idea. I'm busy like a motherdog but willing to do whatever legwork would be helpful to make this process happen. You can also tell me to climb a tree. I'd understand.

keyboardlover

12 Mar 2011, 16:58

JelinaNU wrote: Really, I'm hot for this idea.
:shock: Yea baby!

In some not so nice news, Carl, the designer of Leopold/Filco who I've been working with is not doing so well. He works at Archisite in Japan and told me his hometown was devastated by the Tsunami. He is currently not able to get in touch with his relatives. I told him that everyone at DeskThority and GeekHack send him their very best wishes.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Mar 2011, 01:01

Sucks man, I also have not received a mail yet from one of the friends I still have in Japan. Now with the reactor exploding it looks even worse than before... hope people can work it out together.

lucidlts

15 Mar 2011, 10:05

not expecting such incident would happen so sudden. hope those who are in japan are safe :(

JBert

15 Mar 2011, 19:11

sixty wrote:
daedalus wrote:It would be nice if there was some sort of end user programmability for these keyboards. You can never make everyone happy with the one layout.
They are discussing that at KBC at the moment. It looks like they will offer a kit version that may or may not include a custom controller.
A kit which includes Cherry Clears would rock. So far, neither the Poker or Leopold keyboards offer anything like it.

Evil_Spork

15 Mar 2011, 19:40

I would love to get clears in almost any form factor, though tenkeyless would be ideal.

lucidlts

16 Mar 2011, 06:01

the good thing about filco tenkeyless is (i think) the arrow keys are not like the ones on my noppoo choc mini. still a beginner in touch typing though

Return to “Keyboards”