Trying to figure out something...

dfg872

01 Sep 2011, 00:26

Ok, here's the problem. I've got a black widow ultimate... all glowy and whatnot. So far, so good. The other day, the LED on the 9 key stops working (not a big deal, just aesthetic really). So now I'm trying to figure out which LED I should buy to replace it. I'd like to get the same one if possible, but simply one that matches the color and intensity will do. I've tried to figure out which one it is, but there are a lot of different 3mm blue leds out there, and I'm not sure which one will work. I mean, I assume any 3mm LED will go in just fine, I just want the wavelength to be pretty close so it doesn't look a little off...

Sorry if this is a little long, but any help would be appreciated.

TL;DR : What is a good replacement LED for a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate?

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Sep 2011, 00:50

Try razer support, get two new ones?

dfg872

01 Sep 2011, 01:28

yeah, tried that. They haven't been all that helpful yet about simply selling me replacement parts. I'm trying to find someone there who can help, but for now my best option is to try and figure out a way to get it myself.

The Solutor

01 Sep 2011, 01:42

dfg872 wrote:Ok, here's the problem. I've got a black widow ultimate... all glowy and whatnot. So far, so good. The other day, the LED on the 9 key stops working (not a big deal, just aesthetic really). So now I'm trying to figure out which LED I should buy to replace it. I'd like to get the same one if possible, but simply one that matches the color and intensity will do. I've tried to figure out which one it is, but there are a lot of different 3mm blue leds out there, and I'm not sure which one will work. I mean, I assume any 3mm LED will go in just fine, I just want the wavelength to be pretty close so it doesn't look a little off...

Sorry if this is a little long, but any help would be appreciated.

TL;DR : What is a good replacement LED for a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate?
Most of the standard blue leds should be close enough.

BTW you can put the fantasy at work, like place a white led on the esc or enter key and use the esc led to replace the faulty one.

Replace the wasd cluster with white/green/acqua leds and so on...

dfg872

01 Sep 2011, 02:17

yeah, that's what I was thinking, I just don't want the voltages to be too weird... my ignorance is great, and I fear fire. :P The board has been pretty good so far, I mean, it's my first mechanical, and I know it probably isn't the best one out there, but I like it. Where would you reccomend buying LEDs from ? I doubt radioshack has many anymore...

dfg872

01 Sep 2011, 02:19

also, would a red LED be a bad idea on the escape?

The Solutor

01 Sep 2011, 02:24

the leds I mentioned should be directly replaceble, red will be too bright w/o replacing the resistor. you can use a warm white led and a red filter (aka paint the led whit a lumocolor pen)

leds are easy to find on ebay

N8N

01 Sep 2011, 03:05

I'm not electronically savvy enough to evaluate the advice given... but instead of red marker you could also try "candy" red paint (hobby shop) or Auto Meter sells little "bulb condoms" for changing the color of automotive gauge backlighting.

The Solutor

01 Sep 2011, 10:49

N8N wrote:I'm not electronically savvy enough to evaluate the advice given... but instead of red marker you could also try "candy" red paint (hobby shop) or Auto Meter sells little "bulb condoms" for changing the color of automotive gauge backlighting.
You can use some gel filter, some paint or the minicondoms.

BTW the latter aren't so easy to find in the correct size, and the paint is not easy to remove if you change your mind.

The lumocolor pens are available in many colors, are durable, and the color is easy to remove with alcool

CeeSA

01 Sep 2011, 11:01

it's not razer but may this help

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/light.php

i bought some red led's according to the specs from deck to replace some led's at my deck82.
perhaps the BW is not to far away from that

Findecanor

01 Sep 2011, 12:06

First, check if you can get the keyboard repaired or replaced by the vendor or by Razer.

LEDs themselves are often very durable. I think that it is more likey that something is wrong with its electrical circuit. Perhaps a bad soldering job. Perhaps the LED's leg was bent at some time when it was made and it was bound to break later.

I don't think that there are many differences in wavelengths between different types of blue LEDs, but there might be differences in brightness. LEDs in the primary colours are pretty consistent in wavelengths between brands. It is when you get amber, cyan .. and white (especially) that you can see variation.

The Solutor

01 Sep 2011, 12:17

LEDs themselves are often very durable. I think that it is more likey that something is wrong with its electrical circuit.
A dead LED over 100+ is pretty normal for consumer electronics grade electronics, especially in the early life of the board.

Is almost surely the LED.

negative13

16 Sep 2011, 16:27

I'm having the same problem as the TS, the LED in the 9 key is not working anymore. I removed the key and tried to move the LED and it lit up again. I'm assuming this is just a connection issue that can be easily repaired. The problem is, how do I open up this keyboard? :D

The Solutor

16 Sep 2011, 16:47

negative13 wrote:I'm having the same problem as the TS, the LED in the 9 key is not working anymore. I removed the key and tried to move the LED and it lit up again. I'm assuming this is just a connection issue that can be easily repaired. The problem is, how do I open up this keyboard? :D

With a screwdriver ? :lol:

The screws are under the rubber feet

negative13

16 Sep 2011, 16:50

The Solutor wrote:
negative13 wrote:I'm having the same problem as the TS, the LED in the 9 key is not working anymore. I removed the key and tried to move the LED and it lit up again. I'm assuming this is just a connection issue that can be easily repaired. The problem is, how do I open up this keyboard? :D

I'm fairly new to this, so forgive my ignorance. Haha!

I just remove the rubber feet? They can be put back with no adhesion?

The Solutor

16 Sep 2011, 16:55

negative13 wrote:
The Solutor wrote:

I'm fairly new to this, so forgive my ignorance. Haha!

I just remove the rubber feet? They can be put back with no adhesion?
use some biadhesive tape to use again the original feet, or cut new feet from a foil of self adhesive rubber foam or other well suited material.

negative13

16 Sep 2011, 16:58

use some biadhesive tape to use again the original feet, or cut new feet from a foil of self adhesive rubber foam or other well suited material.
Will do, thanks!

negative13

16 Sep 2011, 21:19

Ok, I've removed the 4 screws but I can't seem to open it. Is there anything I need to push/press?

The Solutor

16 Sep 2011, 21:35

I don't remember the exact number of screws, btw are pretty visible when the feet are removed.
Then you have just to separate the two halves of the housing using just your nails or something like a strong guitar pick
Last edited by The Solutor on 17 Sep 2011, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.

negative13

16 Sep 2011, 22:02

The Solutor wrote:I dont remember the exact number of screws, btw are pretty vidsible when the feet are removed.
Then you have just to separate the two halves of the housing using just your nails or something like a strong guitar pick
I've removed 4 screws in total. Where do yo suggest I start to separate the housing, the upper part, near the F keys, or the lower part, near the spacebar?

Return to “Keyboards”