Cheap linear boards

vun

06 Sep 2011, 20:31

Well, first post here. I've been a member at geekhack for a few months now, some of you might have seen me there. Probably not though.
Figured I'd join here since I heard this is more centered around Europe than GH.

Lately I've been wanting to get a somewhat cheap linear switch keyboard that I can use for gaming and bring around with me without worrying too much about it.

I've been looking into the SteelSeries 6G, but I recently heard about the rapoo which seems to be a decent choice.
How/where can I get a rapoo in Europe for a decent price? Is it worth the hassle over the 6G? Are there any other keyboards I sould consider, like Cherry keyboards? Not too fond of the design of most Cherry boards, but I won't mind if it's nice and cheap.

CeeSA

06 Sep 2011, 21:36

vun

06 Sep 2011, 21:52

Is it a trustworthy store? I don't tend to trust things that seem too good to be true, this is almost in that category. Though it's far more believable than a 1€ Filco.
Thanks for the tip, will probably order if I can figure out how since it's all in German.

Though I'm still interested in the rapoo or similar boards, so any advice regarding that is appreciated.

Edit: Looks like the store won't let non-germans register.

CeeSA

07 Sep 2011, 00:10

if you need a proxy, pm me.

grasshopper

07 Sep 2011, 22:35

They seems ridiculously cheap to me. At that price I'd be interested in buying a couple, even taking into account the cost of shipping them to the UK.

CeeSA, when you say "proxy", are you talking about an internet proxy to enable someone to register on the site, or are you willing to ship the keyboards to us foreigners?

lal

07 Sep 2011, 22:43

I'm pretty sure CeeSA meant the latter.

CeeSA

07 Sep 2011, 22:46

grasshopper wrote:... are you willing to ship the keyboards to us foreigners?
yes!

vun

07 Sep 2011, 22:48

With shipping the cost goes up to like 30€ for me, so not sure if it's really worth it. Though it's still cheaper than most of the alternatives, it's not a very attractive board for me anymore.

grasshopper

07 Sep 2011, 23:14

CeeSA wrote:
yes!
Thanks for the offer. Let me think about it.

Incidentally, can you tell me whether the keyboards are new? If they are then I think I'm going to bite.

lal

07 Sep 2011, 23:35

The description says "used, cleaned and tested". This shop seems to sell *used* POS hardware only.

mintberryminuscrunch

07 Sep 2011, 23:50

grasshopper wrote:
CeeSA wrote:
yes!

Incidentally, can you tell me whether the keyboards are new? If they are then I think I'm going to bite.
are u serious? what lets you think that a store would sell new Cherry G80s for 1€

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Sep 2011, 08:29

Same seller, same keyboard but USB instead of PS/2, price 5€:
http://cumb.de/product_info.php?info=p1 ... dfefd5b568

grasshopper

11 Sep 2011, 13:29

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
grasshopper wrote:

are u serious? what lets you think that a store would sell new Cherry G80s for 1€
Well to be honest 1€ seems too cheap even for a refurbished board so I thought it was worth asking. Has anyone here ordered from this company before? It occurs to me that they might make their profit by artificially ramping up the cost of shipping as some Ebay sellers do. Unfortunately, I can't find any shipping info on their site.

yakill

11 Sep 2011, 13:55

Well to be honest 1€ seems too cheap even for a refurbished board so I thought it was worth asking. Has anyone here ordered from this company before?
I ordered one a few months ago, payed 4,90€ for shipping if i remember correctly.
They shipped within a few days inside germany.

Board was okay too, bit yellowed of course.

Mine was from a Berlin based pharmacy, it had sticker ledgeds, after peeling them off keycaps were almost new condition.
Last edited by yakill on 11 Sep 2011, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

grasshopper

11 Sep 2011, 19:15

yakill wrote:
Well to be honest 1€ seems too cheap even for a refurbished board so I thought it was worth asking. Has anyone here ordered from this company before?
I ordered one a few months ago, payed 4,90€ for shipping if i remember correctly.
They shipped within a few days Insider germany.

Board was okay too, bit yellowed of course.

Mine was from a Berlin based pharmacy, it had sticker ledgeds, after peeling them off keycaps were almost new condition.
Hmm. That sounds very reasonable. I'm so tempted to buy one of these boards.

I would be grateful if you could answer a few more questions for me:

- Did you buy a PS/2 or USB model? If it was the latter then does the keyboard support PS/2 and USB, or just USB?

- Does the board support NKRO?

- Are the switches mounted on a metal plate?

- Does it use cherry MX black switches?

- Can you tell me the full model number?

- Are the keycaps two-shot moulded? I'm guessing not from the pictures (and of course the price) but no harm in asking.

Thanks for your help.

Spharx

11 Sep 2011, 19:37

I've bought one of these too :

- the seller should have (gazillions of) PS/2 and USB
- I am not sure but they have just 3 key rollover or so ( ive harvested just the caps from the board)
- pcb mounted
- yes blacks
- G80-1851LPMDE
- lasered caps

grasshopper

16 Oct 2011, 18:25

Spharx wrote:I've bought one of these too :

- the seller should have (gazillions of) PS/2 and USB
- I am not sure but they have just 3 key rollover or so ( ive harvested just the caps from the board)
- pcb mounted
- yes blacks
- G80-1851LPMDE
- lasered caps
Hi Spharx,

Thanks for providing that information.

Do you happen know what the model number for the USB keyboard is? I'm trying to work out whether it's a combined ps/2 and USB board, or just USB only. I tried sending the company an email about a week ago but it was bounced back.

I'm confused by their description of both keyboards. They claim both types have 102 keys. But the pictures on their site and the model number you gave me suggest 105 keys.

Spharx

16 Oct 2011, 20:11

Nahh I've got a PS/2 model but at the shop there where some USB only models too so I don't think that they are selling PS/2 and USB in on device.
The keyboard looks exactly like on the picture of the complete messy website. I had to email them about something and my mail was rejected too. After some weeks I found two replies from them on my email account.
Last edited by Spharx on 16 Oct 2011, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

grasshopper

16 Oct 2011, 21:13

Spharx wrote:Nahh I've got a PS/2 model but at the shop there where some USB only models too so I don't think that they are selling PS/2 and USB in on device.
I believe that some of the Cherry keyboards can convert between USB and PS/2 with a passive adapter. Unfortunately, without a full model number it's impossible to know which type they're selling.
Spharx wrote:The keyboard looks exactly like on the picture of complete messy website. I had to email them about something and my mail was rejected too. After some weeks I found two replies from them on my email account.
That's interesting. I thought my email might have been rejected because I wrote it in English and they identified it as spam. Maybe I'll have another go.

cable

16 Oct 2011, 21:57

So these guys do not ship internationally or within Europe? Seems to be only Germany?

I'd love to buy a few of these keyboards and if someone willing to help that'd be awesome. Extremely appreciated.

Spharx

16 Oct 2011, 22:05

Ohh I just currently saw this sentence "3 verschiedene Betätigungsarten: Lineare Betätigung, Soft-Druckpunkt, Klick-Druckpunkt" well its time to test some blues and clears then ;)

"Sendungen ins Ausland sind nur nach vorheriger Absprache möglich." means that you have to try to talk to them before they ship anything out of Germany.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

16 Oct 2011, 22:07

Spharx wrote:Ohh I just currently saw this sentence "3 verschiedene Betätigungsarten: Lineare Betätigung, Soft-Druckpunkt, Klick-Druckpunkt" well its time to test some blues and clears then ;)
This is just default copy-paste from the generic G80 description. These boards are 1000% all MX black.

grasshopper

16 Oct 2011, 22:10

I've noticed that they also sell Cherry G84 keyboards. Does anyone here know what type of switches they use. According to Cherry's datasheet they're mechanical. But that can mean anything.

grasshopper

16 Oct 2011, 22:13

Spharx wrote: "Sendungen ins Ausland sind nur nach vorheriger Absprache möglich." means that you have to try to talk to them before they ship anything out of Germany.
So they're not ruling it out altogether then. I guess I'd better send them another email.

Spharx

16 Oct 2011, 22:14

G84 should be having Cherry ML switches

cable

17 Oct 2011, 00:10

If you mail them and say that you want them to ship to x country - does it have to be in German? As grasshopper said that if you write it in English it may be identified as spam? Is that correct?

And I'm guessing this is the correct place to contact them?

I'm pretty pumped to try out the Cherry MX Black and want to order already tomorrow, for €1 it's too good to be true.

grasshopper

17 Oct 2011, 19:52

Has anyone got this company's real email address? As far as I can tell, it's only possible to communicate with them using their web based form. But it seems to be a bit flaky.

Spharx

17 Oct 2011, 20:10

cables link is right also I found this email in the replays : bestellung@cumb.de

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Oct 2011, 20:23

Phone no.: 00-49-30-30831166
I dropped by (Weimarer Str. in Berlin-Charlottenburg) a few weeks ago. Small shop, was closed at the time.

They've got another shop (Eberstr. in Berlin-Schöneberg), was there too, was closed as well.
Phone no. there: 00-49-30-78958699
Website of that second shop: http://www.2hpc.de (same company)

Concerning the g80-1800, they claim to have 1972 in stock.

Edit: still another website (no keyboards by now, though): http://www.computerundmehr-berlin.de/

cable

17 Oct 2011, 21:12

Spharx wrote:cables link is right also I found this email in the replays : bestellung@cumb.de
There's also: info@cumb.de

Found it in this category.

Return to “Keyboards”