Interesting Lexmark Model M

Half-Saint

05 Oct 2011, 11:19

Recently I picked up an interesting Lexmark Model M from 1994. No Lexmark label on top cover, just an empty square. Made in USA yet the layout is ISO, one-piece key caps. It also has drainage channels and holes. What's interesting to me is that the case has a hole for the SDL connector but the controller PCB doesn't feature one. The PS/2 cable is connected to a very small 4-pin connector.

Interestingly, LEDs do not light up although Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock register fine. Used a Blue Cube to connect it to my laptop.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Oct 2011, 11:48

Maybe it's a construction of two Model Ms? The case is older than the insides?

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

05 Oct 2011, 12:38

Before the 42H1292 style Model Ms, fixed cable Model Ms had the same case as the SDL cable keyboards, there was just a piece of plastic on the cable that covered the hole. If yours is missing that piece, then maybe the original cable was damaged and replaced by a third party.

Which ISO layout was it? It wouldn't be uncommon to see Canadian French and Latin American Spanish keyboards that were made in the US.

cactux

05 Oct 2011, 13:06

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Half-Saint

05 Oct 2011, 17:14

daedalus wrote:Before the 42H1292 style Model Ms, fixed cable Model Ms had the same case as the SDL cable keyboards, there was just a piece of plastic on the cable that covered the hole. If yours is missing that piece, then maybe the original cable was damaged and replaced by a third party.

Which ISO layout was it? It wouldn't be uncommon to see Canadian French and Latin American Spanish keyboards that were made in the US.
Indeed, the keyboard has the small piece of plastic covering the hole.

Mine is Yugoslav ISO layout which is funny because all the other YU ISO boards I have were Made in UK.

Half-Saint

06 Oct 2011, 13:30

Any idea why the LEDs don't work?

Half-Saint

17 Oct 2011, 13:57

Bump.

acfrazier
Mad Scientist

17 Oct 2011, 17:10

Half-Saint wrote:Any idea why the LEDs don't work?
Could be many reasons, but it's difficult to tell without opening it.

In order of likelihood:
Severed/missing connection internally
There aren't any LEDs inside
Burned out LEDs (as in, they had been turned on for more than 50000 hours or about 5.7 years)

Half-Saint

21 Oct 2011, 19:25

Well, connections appear to be intact, LEDs are there. Haven't tested the LEDs individually but I doubt that all three would burn out.

Half-Saint

02 Dec 2011, 14:06

Still no idea to why the LEDs don't work. The board otherwise works fine.

Return to “Keyboards”