Modelfkeyboards.com

dramsey

11 Feb 2016, 18:02

So I stumbled across http://modelfkeyboards.com, which purports to be manufacturing brand new, metal, model F keyboard reproductions, for relatively reasonable prices, all things considered.

A search here didn't turn up anything. Anybody know about this or have any opinions?

chzel

11 Feb 2016, 18:03

Nah, never heard of it...

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Feb 2016, 18:04

I agree with chzel. No one here knows a thing... Maybe if you searched the forum REALLY HARD you might find a reference to it.

chzel

11 Feb 2016, 18:05

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Feb 2016, 18:07

Awww. C'mon. I jumped right on board with your tomfoolery, too. :lol:

chzel

11 Feb 2016, 18:21

:lol:

dramsey

11 Feb 2016, 18:22

Weirdest. Searched across all forums for "modelfkeyboards.com" and "new model f keyboards" and got nothing...so I posted, and now when I search again, I get results.

Obviously this is a calculated attempt to DRIVE ME INSANE.

Wife points to piles of Model F/M keyboards I already have (and in the case of the Fs, painfully restored) and wonders why in God's name would I be at all interested. This from the woman who routinely grabs some of my modern review keyboards with fancy lighting effects and uses them to decorate the desk space around her iMac while she types on one of those atrocious Apple thin aluminum things. Oh well.

Anyeay, thanks for the pointers.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Feb 2016, 18:23

dramsey wrote: ...for relatively reasonable prices...
:lol: Looks familiar.

11 Feb 2016, 18:57

So no standing custom on this forum to force OP to wait until at least page 2 before useful information is provided? :evilgeek:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Feb 2016, 19:46

dramsey wrote: Wife points to piles of Model F/M keyboards I already have (and in the case of the Fs, painfully restored) and wonders why in God's name would I be at all interested. This from the woman who routinely grabs some of my modern review keyboards with fancy lighting effects and uses them to decorate the desk space around her iMac while she types on one of those atrocious Apple thin aluminum things. Oh well.
Buy her a Topre. Mine loves hers.

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Feb 2016, 23:35

dramsey wrote:
she types on one of those atrocious Apple thin aluminum things.
My wife is a professional writer and editor who has typed thousands of words per day for decades, and she believes that the newest and thinnest Apple product at the moment is the best keyboard in the world. Since she is a more professional "user" than I am, I am in no position to argue. However, her typing style is to float her fingers above the keys and dip down with the slightest amount of motion and force, while I stab at my keys brutally.

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Feb 2016, 23:41

And why are you still married? (I jest.)

If you can find her a keyswitch that has a tiny travel distance AND better press feel, I think she'd be onboard. I don't really like long actuation distances either -- especially after trying O-rings on Gaterons.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

12 Feb 2016, 00:05

fohat wrote:
My wife is a professional writer and editor who has typed thousands of words per day for decades, and she believes that the newest and thinnest Apple product at the moment is the best keyboard in the world. Since she is a more professional "user" than I am, I am in no position to argue. However, her typing style is to float her fingers above the keys and dip down with the slightest amount of motion and force, while I stab at my keys brutally.
I would be shoving keyboards in her face right and left. I have to type on those stupid thin things at school and I hate them.

I have been trying to coax my mother into a mech for quite some time, with no avail.

Maybe introduce topre?

pr0ximity

12 Feb 2016, 01:39

fohat wrote: My wife is a professional writer and editor who has typed thousands of words per day for decades, and she believes that the newest and thinnest Apple product at the moment is the best keyboard in the world. Since she is a more professional "user" than I am, I am in no position to argue. However, her typing style is to float her fingers above the keys and dip down with the slightest amount of motion and force, while I stab at my keys brutally.
Hey, it could be worse. I have the "misfortune" of having a girlfriend who is in love with my 107-key 4704; it permanently resides on her desk attached to her home office computer :lol:

Luckily there are still days when I work from home and she does not, so that I can have uninterrupted, frantic, brutal Model F key-mashing of the most glorious kind.

jacobolus

12 Feb 2016, 02:14

Fohat: have you tried her on clicky space invaders, clicky SMK switches, Alps plate spring, Topre 45g, or similar? There are plenty of switches out there that aren’t heavy duty buckling spring clackers.

Alps plate spring switches are my personal favorite for a light floaty typing style.

Ellipse

12 Feb 2016, 02:48

dramsey - I am the project coordinator for the brand new model f keyboards project. I suggest checking out chzel's link above if you're interested in the F62/F77 discussion thread. Happy to answer questions. I also put up a Q&A page on the project web site if you wanted to see the FAQ's or post a question there. The web site also has a youtube link on the home page if you wanted to hear the new Model F's in action.

pr0ximity soon you will have an even better 4704 available - your very own F62 or F77! Imagine two 4704's running simultaneously!

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Feb 2016, 02:53

Two 4704s would feel like this... (turn your sound on -- it makes the video)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

12 Feb 2016, 04:16

Running in the 90s lol

I really need to get an F107

I would like a kish but don't want to pay elliptical prices

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Feb 2016, 16:06

Redmaus wrote:
I would be shoving keyboards in her face right and left.
Are you married?
Last edited by fohat on 12 Feb 2016, 19:25, edited 2 times in total.

berserkfan

12 Feb 2016, 16:46

just one question for everyone

Did any of you think that website might not be on the level? Just asking. I don't think it's wise to just throw money around on a promise.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Feb 2016, 18:07

It's on the up and up. The guy has significant amounts of personal money tied up in the project's tooling just to get prototypes (heh) out there.

chzel

12 Feb 2016, 18:58

berserkfan wrote: ...I don't think it's wise to just throw money around on a promise.
Well, that is exactly the way group buys work, isn't it?

courtesi

12 Feb 2016, 19:35

If fohat's wife is happy enough with the apple keyboard then leave her be.

Being satisfied with a single keyboard is my idea of nirvana.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Feb 2016, 19:41

You mean nerdvana?

amospalla
let's go

12 Feb 2016, 19:51

Being satisfied with a single keyboard is something I wish, but that keyboard doesn't exist yet.

I was quite happy with a scissor's keyboard for almost 10 years before I entered this world, it was a decent keyboard and I was happy, quite happy.

Chyros

12 Feb 2016, 19:54

Damn, I hope I never want just one keyboard, that defeats the whole purpose of collecting them xD . It's amazing what Ellipse is doing though, absolutely awesome work.

Ellipse

12 Feb 2016, 20:34

berserk the web site is my site. The GH and DT communities have been working on and discussing the project and its prototypes for almost a year now. I am spending tens of thousands of dollars on prototypes, molds, and tooling and the prototypes are fully functional. I am glad with how the prototypes turned out.

amospalla
let's go

12 Feb 2016, 21:25

Chyros you're right also, the thing is I've been mainly using Topre boards during last months and from time to time I need to use other keyboards so I rotate them but after some minutes of using either of them I want to come back to Topre, and that's something I dislike. I'm under the impresion there must be some Alps out there I should enjoy.

DPP

12 Feb 2016, 21:28

Ordered my F77. I am freaking stoked.

Muirium
µ

12 Feb 2016, 21:36

Topre isn't a game ender. It's close, and murdered any remaining interest in MX for me, but I keep my boards rotating even now I've found it. Mostly IBMs, including a certain 62 key 4704, but also space invaders and Alps. Even if you find a perfect keyboard, you can't truly enjoy it in isolation. I spent January on my HHKB exclusively, and while one of my very best boards of all, I'm happier to be back home with lots of variety.

Return to “Keyboards”