Alps Appreciation

Slom

22 Feb 2018, 22:42

green-squid wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Like I said it really comes down to how well you know electrical concepts. You can buy an AT socket for a few dollars on eBay, though I dont know which part number you would need to look for.
But is there a soarer firmware you can flash on that microcontroller with a couple of clicks?
Its not soarers (or is it?), but a few people reported it working:
juryduty wrote: OK guys, here's a .hex file for the Teensy 2.0 that works perfectly for the Zenith Z-150 black label. I added a few fixes and it finally works great without dropping any keystrokes. Please test it on your own Z-150 and post feedback here.
No idea about how flashing the pro micro works, I only started with the teensy a few weeks ago.

green-squid

23 Feb 2018, 07:32

Slom wrote:
green-squid wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Like I said it really comes down to how well you know electrical concepts. You can buy an AT socket for a few dollars on eBay, though I dont know which part number you would need to look for.
But is there a soarer firmware you can flash on that microcontroller with a couple of clicks?
Its not soarers (or is it?), but a few people reported it working:
juryduty wrote: OK guys, here's a .hex file for the Teensy 2.0 that works perfectly for the Zenith Z-150 black label. I added a few fixes and it finally works great without dropping any keystrokes. Please test it on your own Z-150 and post feedback here.
No idea about how flashing the pro micro works, I only started with the teensy a few weeks ago.
Ohaimark's converter uses a promicro flashed with soarers firmware on linux.

green-squid

23 Feb 2018, 07:33

It's just a couple of commands after looking into it

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Feb 2018, 14:54

Brought my X68K into work today. :)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Feb 2018, 20:45

Blaise170 wrote: I've tried roughly similar before with less than desirable results.

Also just won one of these in a Japan auction. Could be linear SKCL Greens or Grays... And look at those caps. :lol:

The seller of this one ended up falling through. Saw another one on Yahoo Auctions JP but couldn't bid on it quick enough. Still want to get one of these some day. :lol:

green-squid

25 Feb 2018, 15:51

I have desoldered all the switches from my Zenith Z150. What (cheap and available clicky) switches should I put in it?

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

25 Feb 2018, 20:04

green-squid wrote: I have desoldered all the switches from my Zenith Z150. What (cheap and available clicky) switches should I put in it?
pine white I guess, that is the best cheap alps clicky. there is no other real choice unless you want to spend the required coin for amber/blue.

green-squid

25 Feb 2018, 20:37

mike52787 wrote:
green-squid wrote: I have desoldered all the switches from my Zenith Z150. What (cheap and available clicky) switches should I put in it?
pine white I guess, that is the best cheap alps clicky. there is no other real choice unless you want to spend the required coin for amber/blue.
What about Matias ones and the APC ones on Aliexpress?

idlethock

25 Feb 2018, 20:58

green-squid wrote: looked into it and it looks easy as 1 2 3. There is a significant chance I am going to do it. ;)

Will these parts work, ohaimark?
If you manage to make a working coverter out of this, consider me interested. I've got a black label Z-150 I want to get working with my computer too. :D

green-squid

25 Feb 2018, 21:52

idlethock wrote:
green-squid wrote: looked into it and it looks easy as 1 2 3. There is a significant chance I am going to do it. ;)

Will these parts work, ohaimark?
If you manage to make a working coverter out of this, consider me interested. I've got a black label Z-150 I want to get working with my computer too. :D
well, we will see ;) ! Maybe I find a better KB than this at webwit's sale.

Elrick

26 Feb 2018, 01:34

green-squid wrote: What about Matias ones and the APC ones on Aliexpress?
Current Matias switches aren't even in the ball park of comparison with Pine White Alps.

If you can find older, complicated White Alps, then you are on to a winner here.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

26 Feb 2018, 01:40

I might still have some bags of clicky Alps switches stored away. I'll see if I can check in the coming days

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 Feb 2018, 04:41

both of these suck

green-squid

26 Feb 2018, 07:02

mike52787 wrote:
both of these suck
Why do they suck?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

26 Feb 2018, 07:25

green-squid wrote:
mike52787 wrote:
both of these suck
Why do they suck?
They are clones of simplified alps, I believe. Which are not as well built and sound a little more, hmmmm, shoddy? I don't know how else to describe it. They don't sound as solid and don't feel near as refined as SKCM white. What is your budget for switches?

green-squid

26 Feb 2018, 13:52

Not a lot. I would say, $30 at most. But I'm not gonna pull the trigger right now because of webwit's sale.

directheatedtriode

27 Feb 2018, 16:05

Any suggestions for which Dell AT101 to transplant SKCM blue into? I am a sound junky, so looking for whatever will give me most of that deep Alps click sound, and must be PS/2 termination; not sure if very early ones were something else.

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Feb 2018, 19:54

The earliest AT101s had a weight bar inside that helped.

Some of them had the good PBT caps, too.

balotz

27 Feb 2018, 20:56

directheatedtriode wrote: Any suggestions for which Dell AT101 to transplant SKCM blue into? I am a sound junky, so looking for whatever will give me most of that deep Alps click sound, and must be PS/2 termination; not sure if very early ones were something else.
SGI AT101 is also a good board for transplants.

Elrick

28 Feb 2018, 00:59

fohat wrote: The earliest AT101s had a weight bar inside that helped.

Good luck finding those keyboards especially ones with all PBT key-caps for under $400USD if they are trashed but for NIB condition, do expect closer to $700+.

subcat

28 Feb 2018, 02:04

Elrick wrote:

Good luck finding those keyboards especially ones with all PBT key-caps for under $400USD if they are trashed but for NIB condition, do expect closer to $700+.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

28 Feb 2018, 02:06

Elrick wrote:

LOL

Delirious

28 Feb 2018, 02:09

Elrick wrote:

You wut m8

Norman_

28 Feb 2018, 02:16

They're definitely expensive, but 400 for a trashed one?

300 maybe for a NOS one.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

28 Feb 2018, 02:17

Elrick wrote:

I literally just got one in the mail.... I think I spent under $70.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dell-A ... 2749.l2648

Yeah - $68 total. Below is a picture of it's condition.

Insanely clean!

fohat
Elder Messenger

28 Feb 2018, 02:40

//gainsborough wrote:
I literally just got one in the mail
Lucky you! The last old-logo 101 that I got had dirty black switches and ABS caps.

Funny that the seller advertised "Black ALPS" instead of the far more desirable salmons that were actually in it.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

28 Feb 2018, 02:47

fohat wrote:
//gainsborough wrote:
I literally just got one in the mail
Lucky you! The last old-logo 101 that I got had dirty black switches and ABS caps.

Funny that the seller advertised "Black ALPS" instead of the far more desirable salmons that were actually in it.
You know how to tell which is which... right? If you dont, and for the benefit of others seeing this, any AT101 with the FCC ID GYUM97SK will have pine black alps and thin abs printed keycaps. Any AT101 with the FCC IDs GYI3PVAT101 and GYIAT101-102 will have salmon alps and typically Alps Electric PBT dyesubs and very rarely ABS doubleshots.

Elrick

28 Feb 2018, 09:04

fohat wrote: Funny that the seller advertised "Black ALPS" instead of the far more desirable salmons that were actually in it.
CHRIST, I saw that exact one too but avoided it simply due to having several Black Alps Dells already :( .

I know some of you snicker at me for posting outrageous pricing but I always miss out on the PBT NIB keyboards, that usually end up selling for around $700+. Not my fault, simply because I can't climb that high without the Mrs seeing a huge discrepancy for a single keyboard purchase. We now have the same banking account, go figure.

Wish I could get on your bus of lower costing NIB Salmon Alps keyboards, especially when it keeps missing or avoiding me consistently.

Been looking for a decent NIB Salmon for a few months now, in fact I'm starting to look like some pathetic old Bear gazing at what I missed or has passed by. Winter is going to get real cold soon......... :(

Chyros

28 Feb 2018, 09:59

I don't believe you. It's never cold in Australia :p .

rich1051414

28 Feb 2018, 10:24

Elrick wrote:
fohat wrote: Funny that the seller advertised "Black ALPS" instead of the far more desirable salmons that were actually in it.
CHRIST, I saw that exact one too but avoided it simply due to having several Black Alps Dells already :( .

I know some of you snicker at me for posting outrageous pricing but I always miss out on the PBT NIB keyboards, that usually end up selling for around $700+. Not my fault, simply because I can't climb that high without the Mrs seeing a huge discrepancy for a single keyboard purchase. We now have the same banking account, go figure.

Wish I could get on your bus of lower costing NIB Salmon Alps keyboards, especially when it keeps missing or avoiding me consistently.

Been looking for a decent NIB Salmon for a few months now, in fact I'm starting to look like some pathetic old Bear gazing at what I missed or has passed by. Winter is going to get real cold soon......... :(
So glad winter is behind me on the top side of the globe. I can't deal in cold weather. I look like an abused chihuahua xD

Return to “Keyboards”