22 Oct 2018, 11:35

Nice tan ^^ .

Wingklip

22 Oct 2018, 11:42

Chyros wrote: Nice tan ^^ .
I daresay the girls are jealous, sir!

Elrick

22 Oct 2018, 12:21

Muirium wrote: What site you on about Elrick?
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=3584

On this page there are numerous switch choices for the KBParadise V60. All the ones I've mentioned previously.

Myoth

22 Oct 2018, 12:30

//gainsborough wrote: Can I just mention that this is outrageous?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leading-Edge-D ... 3b1fb50922
810USD ... this is absolutely disgusting, this is repulsive, it's not New Old Stock, it's used, it's clearly dirty, dusty and whatever, it's nigh unused at best. Not New.

Elrick

22 Oct 2018, 13:18

Chyros wrote: EDIT: HOLY SHIT Brett, looks like the DC2014 hit the jackpot! :D
Yeah, the Money-Train is making it's way to Brett Town ;) .

Just hope he actually receives the final amount, otherwise it's back on Flebay again for another go.

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2018, 14:51

Elrick wrote:

On this page there are numerous switch choices for the KBParadise V60. All the ones I've mentioned previously.
Indeed there is. Gotta like that they’re trying…
B8E84CDD-DABD-4935-82BA-0F66EF274B8B.jpeg
B8E84CDD-DABD-4935-82BA-0F66EF274B8B.jpeg (243.03 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
Do wonder what these modern blue Alps are like. Trouble is, the local seller, Keyboardco, doesn’t have quite the same selection.

https://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/usa ... yboard.asp

Then I looked at this and groaned.

Just copy the damn HHKB function layer ya dafties! I can’t even begin to imagine trying to unlearn my muscle memory of so many boards just so I could use something so stupid. Who dreamed that up? A bag o willies?

Wingklip

22 Oct 2018, 16:42

Elrick wrote:
Chyros wrote: I just put a kitchen towel on my keyboard when I'm not using it or when I'm eating behind my desk. Seems to work pretty well :) .
YES, I use a plastic cover for most of my Alps keyboards but believe it or not dust still manages to settle whilst I'm using the beggar.

Live in a desert area hence now at this time of year, the wind blows in dust and sand from everywhere.

This is our life style in the world's largest Convict Settlement :( .
Same, try wrapping the entire switchplate's switches in cling wrap, then put the caps on top of that.

IBM contaminant shield style

abrahamstechnology

22 Oct 2018, 16:44

Muirium wrote:
Elrick wrote:

Indeed there is. Gotta like that they’re trying…
B8E84CDD-DABD-4935-82BA-0F66EF274B8B.jpeg
Do wonder what these modern blue Alps are like. Trouble is, the local seller, Keyboardco, doesn’t have quite the same selection.

https://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/usa ... yboard.asp

Then I looked at this and groaned.

Just copy the damn HHKB function layer ya dafties! I can’t even begin to imagine trying to unlearn my muscle memory of so many boards just so I could use something so stupid. Who dreamed that up? A bag o willies?
Wait, Fukkas are still in production???

Hypersphere

26 Oct 2018, 00:38

I've tested a KBP V60 with "Brown Alps". These switches are NOTHING like vintage SKCM brown Alps. I suspect the other contemporary Datacomp "Alps" switches will likewise be disappointing. They still have a white "Alps" version under the Fukka brand name, but these are based on the simplified Alps design. If you don't mind using a full-size keyboard, it would be better to find a vintage board with SKCM Alps in your favorite color, e.g., white, blue, orange, ....

On the other hand, I rather like Matias switches. I am typing this on a KBP V60 with Matias Click switches connected to the computer through a Hasu USB-USB converter.

KBP now has a "Type R" V60 keyboard that is completely programmable via QMK. The Matias-switch Type R that is currently available in the USA from Mechanicalkeyboards.com is the "Polestar" edition, which has the rather silly "underglow" LEDs. However, Massdrop has recently offered a V60 Type R version with Matias switches minus the underglow LEDs. I've ordered one, keeping my fingers crossed that they haven't made a mistake in the description.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

26 Oct 2018, 00:44

Elrick wrote: G'Day DTers,

AT Mechaincal Keyboards website noticed they are selling a variety of newly made Alps switches and here is the precise list of what they are selling there;

ALPS KSB-C (never heard of it before).

ALPS Brown (comparable to the old Browns sold on Flebay, have no idea)

ALPS Red (Guessing it's Linear)

Fukka White (heard of it before, simplified Whites?)

ALPS Blue (is this truly real or some ridiculous joke?)

and Fukka Black.

Also the standard (3) model Matias Switches are also available here.

These are what's available but instead of me spending all my money buying each keyboard containing those switches, which are the best switches out of the bunch already mentioned?

I now a lot of the EXPERTS here frown upon the latest produced ALPS switches BUT there has to be at least one of these newer model's, worth buying and using.
"Never heard of it before"

Yes well, that's because most of those aren't Alps at all. KSB-C is a well documented Alps-mount switch by Xiang Min. Most of the others are Alps-mount as well. I'm assuming the Blue Alps they have listed are really the blue Tai Hao switches that they used to produce a few years ago.

Mattr567

26 Oct 2018, 01:20

Ruby :)

xtreg

26 Oct 2018, 01:29

Mattr567 wrote:Ruby :)

What caps?

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

abrahamstechnology

26 Oct 2018, 02:05

Hypersphere wrote: I've tested a KBP V60 with "Brown Alps". These switches are NOTHING like vintage SKCM brown Alps. I suspect the other contemporary Datacomp "Alps" switches will likewise be disappointing. They still have a white "Alps" version under the Fukka brand name, but these are based on the simplified Alps design. If you don't mind using a full-size keyboard, it would be better to find a vintage board with SKCM Alps in your favorite color, e.g., white, blue, orange, ....

On the other hand, I rather like Matias switches. I am typing this on a KBP V60 with Matias Click switches connected to the computer through a Hasu USB-USB converter.

KBP now has a "Type R" V60 keyboard that is completely programmable via QMK. The Matias-switch Type R that is currently available in the USA from Mechanicalkeyboards.com is the "Polestar" edition, which has the rather silly "underglow" LEDs. However, Massdrop has recently offered a V60 Type R version with Matias switches minus the underglow LEDs. I've ordered one, keeping my fingers crossed that they haven't made a mistake in the description.
I thought Fukka shut down production in 2012 (leading to Mr. Matias having to make his own switches). How the heck are they still using them in new builds???

snot

26 Oct 2018, 04:43

I bought a KBP v80 like a year ago but had to return it because of chattering issues. I don't know if the v60 has the same issues but just a word or warning that in the past their boards have had problems with key chatter.

Hypersphere

26 Oct 2018, 15:02

<snip>
I thought Fukka shut down production in 2012 (leading to Mr. Matias having to make his own switches). How the heck are they still using them in new builds???
I don't know. My understanding is that Forward Electronics discontinued their simplified white Alps-type switch, but the company is still in existence, producing a wide variety of switches. I just now visited their website, but I could not find any keyboard switches listed.

Pumaeggs

26 Oct 2018, 15:28

Why no love for alps integrated domes? They're actually one of my favorite linears of all time.
Attachments
domey.jpg
domey.jpg (1021.12 KiB) Viewed 5625 times

swampangel

26 Oct 2018, 16:00

snot wrote: I bought a KBP v80 like a year ago but had to return it because of chattering issues. I don't know if the v60 has the same issues but just a word or warning that in the past their boards have had problems with key chatter.
Any board that uses Matias switches is bound to have this problem (annoying, but can be fixed per-switch).

Presumably the Fukka ones don't have the same issue, unless they are actually made with the same problematic process.

Chyros

26 Oct 2018, 16:19

Pumaeggs wrote: Why no love for alps integrated domes? They're actually one of my favorite linears of all time.
IIRC I put them at number 10 on my worst switches of all time list xD .

abrahamstechnology

26 Oct 2018, 16:19

swampangel wrote:
snot wrote: I bought a KBP v80 like a year ago but had to return it because of chattering issues. I don't know if the v60 has the same issues but just a word or warning that in the past their boards have had problems with key chatter.
Any board that uses Matias switches is bound to have this problem (annoying, but can be fixed per-switch).

Presumably the Fukka ones don't have the same issue, unless they are actually made with the same problematic process.
Modern Matias switches are gold-plated, I'm guessing that solved the chattering issues.

abrahamstechnology

26 Oct 2018, 16:21

Pumaeggs wrote: Why no love for alps integrated domes? They're actually one of my favorite linears of all time.
I hate those stupid things, I've been wanting to replace them on my Tandy 200 for a long time with proper Alps.

Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2018, 16:23

abrahamstechnology wrote: Modern Matias switches are gold-plated, I'm guessing that solved the chattering issues.
I wouldn’tt gamble on a hunnch..

swampangel

26 Oct 2018, 17:12

abrahamstechnology wrote: Modern Matias switches are gold-plated, I'm guessing that solved the chattering issues.
Do you know about when this change took place?

Delirious

26 Oct 2018, 18:54

LFK87 in Tex Filco Case.

Shoutout to:
-u/ca178858 of LFKeyboards for the pcb
-gainsborough for the 10u spacebar from Packard Bell board.
-mike for proxying the SGI caps and sandblasting them for me, and the NEXT logo
-E3E for the hotswappable hottiles (soon)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

26 Oct 2018, 19:41

That NeXT logo makes it. This is seriously the coolest build I've seen in a while. Very nice work, dude!

edit: I formally request a typing demo!

abrahamstechnology

27 Oct 2018, 05:27

swampangel wrote:
Do you know about when this change took place?
It was before my time here, so I am not sure.

swampangel

27 Oct 2018, 16:20

Alps top modding failure -- maybe I should have known this already, but I just found out that Alps SKCM top housings do not fit onto Tai-hao APC 4-tab clone bottom housings.

I had replaced a couple of damaged SKCM switches on a filthy old Acer 6011 with Tai-hao clones and I was hoping to use the top housing + click leaves in place of the narrow copper leaves.

Edit: putting the Tai-hao contact leaves in a complete SKCM housing didn't work either; the Tai-hao top housing has slots to keep the 2 leaves spaced properly, and without those, they just make continuous contact when the switch is assembled.
Last edited by swampangel on 27 Oct 2018, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Hypersphere

27 Oct 2018, 16:38

@Delirious: Did you use holtites on your recent build? If so, did you solder them into the PCB, or was it solderless all the way? Any problems getting desoldered Alps switches into the holtites?

Darkshado

28 Oct 2018, 04:17

Muirium wrote:
I wouldn’tt gamble on a hunnch..
Me neitherr. ;)

(For the record: the R key on my V80 did start chattering after playing a fighting game using it, opened the switch and cleaned the contacts with a drop of isopropyl alcohol, hasn't reoccurred since, nor have other keys exhibited the same problem yet. I wonder if this might be caused by lubricant splattering inside the switch and affecting the plates...)

Delirious

28 Oct 2018, 05:51

Hypersphere wrote: @Delirious: Did you use holtites on your recent build? If so, did you solder them into the PCB, or was it solderless all the way? Any problems getting desoldered Alps switches into the holtites?

I plan on using hottiles for the bottom row mods only so I can swap between 10u and 7u with ease. This is achievable based on two factors: costar fallback stabilizer and programmable pcb.

I built 2 mx boards(sprit’s face pcb) with hottiles before, about 90% of them work perfectly without any solder. I guess it all depends on the pcb design. Some has bigger through holes than the others and you have to do some soldering. I know for a fact that kbdfans 75% pcb has huge holes and not very hottiles friendly; I built one recently and was baffled at such oversight.

As for the lfk pcb, I guess we will find out once E3E ships my package. The reason why I didn’t do it for the whole boards is because I have planned this to be my tkl representative for skcm blues.

flowerlandfilms

28 Oct 2018, 09:50

Why do we have to live in a world where some of the best Alps keycaps to be found come from entirely non Alps boards? This weekend I found a new variant, or possibly just a rebranding of the Tai Hao APC F21 board with these fantastic Alps Double Shots. New in box, very spiffy.
[img]WP_20181028_19_40_14_Pro.jpg[/img]
[img]WP_20181028_19_40_27_Pro.jpg[/img]
Attachments
WP_20181028_19_40_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20181028_19_40_14_Pro.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 5360 times
WP_20181028_19_40_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20181028_19_40_27_Pro.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 5360 times

Return to “Keyboards”