Alps Appreciation

User avatar
swampangel

13 Jan 2020, 22:45

anmq91 wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 17:34
Just out of interest, does anybody game on their Alps keyboards as well? Or would it wear out the switches way too fast?
Keyboards are meant to be used; don't hold back :) There's no way the wear and tear I put on my keyboards even comes close to what happens in a data entry or educational setting, and boards last for decades in those environments.

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

13 Jan 2020, 23:30

I game and do homework on my Yellow Alps 60% keyboard. It goes in my backpack everywhere.
Some of the slits have broken off from multiple falls, I use it pretty heavily but it works.

anmq91

14 Jan 2020, 12:12

Oh that's cool to hear. I always wrapped up and packed away my alps board the second that i stopped using them in the fear that a single spec of dust was all that was needed to kill them! XD I guess i'll start using them a little more heavily now :mrgreen:

ntv242

14 Jan 2020, 12:36

Not using the sh*t our of your keyboard is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend
- Me stealing a Ferrari collector quote, 2020 -

User avatar
ppCircle

14 Jan 2020, 15:29

anmq91 wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 12:12
Oh that's cool to hear. I always wrapped up and packed away my alps board the second that i stopped using them in the fear that a single spec of dust was all that was needed to kill them! XD I guess i'll start using them a little more heavily now :mrgreen:
I play a lot on my Blue and Brown alps keyboards and i didn't notice any damage, change in feel and sound. ;)

andrewjoy

14 Jan 2020, 17:17

anmq91 wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 17:34
Just out of interest, does anybody game on their Alps keyboards as well? Or would it wear out the switches way too fast?
It will be fine! IMO alps are not fragile , they just wear super fast if used dirty.

And anyway, keyboards are built to be used, dont be like them car collectors who wrap there cars in plastic in a heated storeroom. Get them things out on track, make some noise and turn some tyres into smoke!

There is nothing worse than a keyboard in a box or a car locked away.

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

14 Jan 2020, 19:28

Does anyone know, if Brown ALPS tactile leaves fit in other ALPS housings?

User avatar
zrrion

14 Jan 2020, 19:39

I don't believe so, I think they are slightly too thick. I can check later today though.

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

14 Jan 2020, 20:03

Theoretically, could they fit if you cut down/made a smaller plastic piece?

User avatar
E3E

14 Jan 2020, 20:24

abrahamstechnology wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 19:28
Does anyone know, if Brown ALPS tactile leaves fit in other ALPS housings?
They do not, and if you shave the standard top housing to accommodate, or shave the dummy switchplate down, it's likely going to be inconsistent and not worth the trouble.

You'd need a jig for it to be repeatable, and even then, I think it'd be a hassle.

SKCM Green leaves can fit standard housings, but those aren't plentiful. There isn't much reason to swap them anyway.

User avatar
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 Jan 2020, 20:25

4 years later and this thread is still going strong - awesome. :)

NeK

15 Jan 2020, 02:24

I have a silly idea. I think an important thing that is missing is to construct a standard evaluation guide/instructions on how to determine the condition of various ALPS switches in a rough way. I know it would be hard but I am sure it is not impossible.

This would certainly help many people by providing a standard way to classify the switches so if someone says it is a 5/10 we all have a general idea what that means. And also would give the opportunity for those that only have one ALPS board to find out how good it is without needing a comparison keyboard.

We can define objective tests like for instance, if the keys are binding would place them at 4/10 or if they are scratchy a 5/10. Lower scores would mean that they have functioning flaws: chattering, ghosting and up to not working at all (that would probably land it at 1/10)

Anyone has any ideas how this could be done?

User avatar
Polecat

15 Jan 2020, 07:01

NeK wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 02:24
I have a silly idea. I think an important thing that is missing is to construct a standard evaluation guide/instructions on how to determine the condition of various ALPS switches in a rough way. I know it would be hard but I am sure it is not impossible.

This would certainly help many people by providing a standard way to classify the switches so if someone says it is a 5/10 we all have a general idea what that means. And also would give the opportunity for those that only have one ALPS board to find out how good it is without needing a comparison keyboard.

We can define objective tests like for instance, if the keys are binding would place them at 4/10 or if they are scratchy a 5/10. Lower scores would mean that they have functioning flaws: chattering, ghosting and up to not working at all (that would probably land it at 1/10)

Anyone has any ideas how this could be done?
That would be difficult even if all Alps switches were created equal, which they definitely were not. I'm not trying to be negative, but it seems to me this would always be a subjective thing.

NeK

15 Jan 2020, 16:06

Polecat wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 07:01
That would be difficult even if all Alps switches were created equal, which they definitely were not. I'm not trying to be negative, but it seems to me this would always be a subjective thing.
I was talking about finding some objective measures and avoiding the subjectives one. For instance, key binding is an objective measurement because if you press it off center it gets stuck, there's no subjectivity here. Also objective is the fact that a key-switch either works, or has issues like chattering, registers only sometimes or flat out does not register at all. I have no doubt that these are objective facts and they do not have any room for subjectivity, don't you agree?

Then we can easily create a rank based on those. As an example, lets say that a board with NOS switches in pristine condition would get a Grade A+. Grade A would be a board that all its keys work well, has no binding in any key and it is very clean from dust and dirt inside out (including the switches). If however a board has one or a few keys that are binding lightly, then it will fall into the Grade B. If it has many (more than say 5) switches which bind horribly, then it would be a Grade C. And finally if a board has a key that is not working at all or has chatter, or register problems or other functioning issues then it would make it a Grade D.

I feel that we can do that and maybe, just maybe, find other objective measures for the smoothness too.

User avatar
JP!

18 Jan 2020, 19:36

We need some more SKCC love in here.

IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6209.JPG (802.35 KiB) Viewed 524 times
IMG_6206.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG (307.52 KiB) Viewed 524 times
IMG_6208.JPG
IMG_6208.JPG (109.86 KiB) Viewed 524 times

mcmaxmcmc

19 Jan 2020, 02:13

JP! wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 19:36
We need some more SKCC love in here.


IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6206.JPG

IMG_6208.JPG
So YOU were the one who got that board! Very nice!

mcmaxmcmc

19 Jan 2020, 05:32

My dream has came true, after many missed encounters and whatever how long I've been searching for this...

A C.itoh keycap set!

Image

I'm currently using it in my Omnikey 101, my daily driver, to test the profile of the caps -- it's pretty darn nice! Definitely worth it for the price I got it for. :D

Image

C.itoh is bae. :D
Last edited by mcmaxmcmc on 20 Jan 2020, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Jan 2020, 14:54

I nave had several Omnikey 101s, and never seen those arrow caps.

User avatar
E3E

19 Jan 2020, 15:35

fohat wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 14:54
I nave had several Omnikey 101s, and never seen those arrow caps.
If you look a bit closer, you'll see that the keycaps have been swapped in places.

They are C.Itoh spherical dyesubs.

ntv242

19 Jan 2020, 17:13

Wow, those caps are gorgeous, good one man!

4sStylZ

Yesterday, 15:25

I there,

I have done some mods to test frankenstein alps recently because I have a lot of orange tactile and white dampened tactile, all of those from Apple Standard / Extended keyboards.

Those switchs was in variable bad condition and I have ultrasonic cleaned them + krytox lubed.

What I have done : 
  • Linear white dampened with 55cN springs. (Opposed leaf removed). 100% of the switch are working.
  • Linear orange (Opposed leaf removed).
  • White bottom housing + White slider + orange internals to make a sort of orange dampened.
  • Orange bottom housing + Orange slider + white internals to make a white undampened.
I get some issues : 

- I get issue with the two last one wich are tactiles : 10% of the switchs ping / click. I search tips to deal with it.
- For the orange linear : I get 10% switch who don’t actuate after lubbing them. I test them with a multimeter. Even while reinserting the leaf I don’t know why they don’t actuate. When I disassemble them, I can push the contact leaf and they actuate. But with a slider / spring : no actuation.

Also I am searching some feedback about the clicky mod vs original Blue Alps. I have done this mode on Dampened white just to test but I would know if someone have compared Orange clicky mod (with the modified opposite leaf) vs origimal blue. Is the clicky blue better ?

That’s something that I cannot test myself since folding the leaf break them sometimes, so it cannot be reversed, also I don’t have blue to compare.

orihalcon

Yesterday, 17:55

Those C. Itoh caps are beautiful! Though I somehow expected them to look "more?" spherical. They look almost flat? I'm sure it's something that needs to be experienced in person regardless. Would love a set for myself someday :D

treeleaf64

Yesterday, 20:29

orihalcon wrote:
Yesterday, 17:55
Those C. Itoh caps are beautiful! Though I somehow expected them to look "more?" spherical. They look almost flat? I'm sure it's something that needs to be experienced in person regardless. Would love a set for myself someday :D
Wow, the legend himself appears. Never seen a comment by you before, it is very exciting.
I love those keycaps, they remind me of TaiHao cubic profile, but a little different as well.

User avatar
E3E

Yesterday, 20:50

orihalcon wrote:
Yesterday, 17:55
Those C. Itoh caps are beautiful! Though I somehow expected them to look "more?" spherical. They look almost flat? I'm sure it's something that needs to be experienced in person regardless. Would love a set for myself someday :D
They are very subtle, a bit like SA in terms of top scooping, but a bit nicer for sure. There is definitely a scoop though, thankfully. They aren't totally flat like MSX profile caps.



Image

Image

Image

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”