Alps Appreciation

abrahamstechnology

17 Dec 2018, 21:21

Another thing: The Hua-Jies don't have the second tactile event like the Matias's do, making them feel more refined.

Hypersphere

17 Dec 2018, 23:33

Where can you buy Hua-Jie keyboard switches? Which, if any, contemporary keyboard producers are putting these switches into their products? Maybe these switches could be suggested to KBP?

abrahamstechnology

18 Dec 2018, 00:31

Hypersphere wrote: Where can you buy Hua-Jie keyboard switches? Which, if any, contemporary keyboard producers are putting these switches into their products? Maybe these switches could be suggested to KBP?
I contacted them directly. I tried with Datacomp and Xiang Ming too but they both gave me the silent treatment.

I'm ordering a bunch from them, I'll probably start reselling them here for people in the USA.

Hak Foo

18 Dec 2018, 00:49

What does the price look like?

abrahamstechnology

18 Dec 2018, 00:51

Hak Foo wrote: What does the price look like?
$ 0.40 each?

Hak Foo

19 Dec 2018, 20:34

Does it scale down any at quantity? Matias switches are 30 cents each in a bag of 200, delivered.

abrahamstechnology

19 Dec 2018, 21:23

Hak Foo wrote: Does it scale down any at quantity? Matias switches are 30 cents each in a bag of 200, delivered.
Perhaps, I have not 100% decided yet.

Myoth

19 Dec 2018, 21:36

abrahamstechnology wrote: Matias needs to trash their rattly polycarbonate housings, since in the 6 years they've been out, not one company has built an RGB keyboard with them
Not a brand, but close enough.

Hypersphere

19 Dec 2018, 22:11

abrahamstechnology wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: Where can you buy Hua-Jie keyboard switches? Which, if any, contemporary keyboard producers are putting these switches into their products? Maybe these switches could be suggested to KBP?
I contacted them directly. I tried with Datacomp and Xiang Ming too but they both gave me the silent treatment.

I'm ordering a bunch from them, I'll probably start reselling them here for people in the USA.
Today I sent a message to Daniel at KBP suggesting that they try Hua-Jie AK-CN2 switches in their V60 Type R programmable keyboards and to evaluate them as a possible replacement for Matias, Datacomp, and Fukka switches. If I get a reply, I'll let everyone know what he says unless he wants to keep their plans confidential.

In the meantime, looking forward to your sales of Hua-Jie switches.

Chyros

19 Dec 2018, 23:49

Myoth wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: Matias needs to trash their rattly polycarbonate housings, since in the 6 years they've been out, not one company has built an RGB keyboard with them
Is it worth it, though? I'd rather have a nice typing sound any day of the week.

Hypersphere

20 Dec 2018, 00:40

Hak Foo wrote: Does it scale down any at quantity? Matias switches are 30 cents each in a bag of 200, delivered.
Yes, but then you've got a bag of 200 Matias switches. ;-)

zrrion

20 Dec 2018, 02:23

They need to doubleshot their housings to add an LED window.

abrahamstechnology

20 Dec 2018, 04:06

Also I'd think Matias would feel a lot more refined if they switched to a wide contact blade (like in Hua-Jie, Tai-hao, and Xiang Ming) instead of the small one which adds the second tactile event and makes the switch feel rough.

Elrick

20 Dec 2018, 05:37

Chyros wrote: Is it worth it, though? I'd rather have a nice typing sound any day of the week.
Not just sound but the actual FEEL of the switch is paramount.

Everything else can be forgiven but when the perception is through your fingers, that is where certain switches become GOD's whilst others, may rot in hell forever more.

Don't forget, there are many more deaf people out there hence all they will ever have is their fingers to type with ;) .

flowerlandfilms

20 Dec 2018, 09:03

I require a transparent housing.
I will accept no substitutes.

Myoth

20 Dec 2018, 13:42

Chyros wrote:
Myoth wrote:
Is it worth it, though? I'd rather have a nice typing sound any day of the week.
I never said it was worth it, just that there are people who've used the transparent housing to their intended purpose.

And I fully agree with you, sound is important, that's why I wouldn't buy anything other than SKCM/L :lol:, though I've found out SKBM are good donors of click leaves. I should showcase my weird AEK2 with SKCM Cream Dampened but with SKBM Black click leaves instead of the original ones.

Hypersphere

20 Dec 2018, 14:29

I received a reply from Daniel at KBP regarding my suggestion to try Hua-Jie AK-CN2 switches in some of their keyboards.

He was very receptive to the idea. He has contacted Hua-Jie and plans to make some prototypes for testing. I agreed to test a prototype and post reviews. Oddly enough, he said it was news to him that this company existed and that like KBP, it is located in Taiwan.

I advocated putting the switches in their totally programmable V60 Type R keyboards, but he said they were now having trouble sourcing the ATmega32U4 chips.

It will probably take a while to receive the keyboard, but I will be sure to post my impressions of it shortly after it arrives.

kakan

25 Dec 2018, 17:14

Been using this board I built a couple of days ago. It's NOS SKCL Yellow with dry teflon on the sliders and krytox 104 on the springs. I also used the caps from three different boards I had laying around to make it somewhat an ANSI board but with quirks :lol:, from AEKII DE, M0116 US layout and some from an unknown apple board I had. I also added sorbothane between the pcb and plate and in the case itself and bandage modded space/backspace to make it sound less hollow.

Hypersphere

25 Dec 2018, 19:26

@kakan: What is a "bandage mod"? Also -- interesting mouse you've got there.

Myoth

25 Dec 2018, 19:38

Bandage mod is when you put bandage on the pcb, under the stabs to cushion the bottom out sound of the stabs, at least for MX builds

kakan

25 Dec 2018, 19:40

Hypersphere wrote: @kakan: What is a "bandage mod"? Also -- interesting mouse you've got there.
I put a bit of a cloth bandage on the plate where the stabilizer hit it. It helped a lot on the backspace as there is no screw close to it and it produced a rather hollow sound. The mouse is called finalmouse and weights only 58g due to them removing as much material as possible.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

25 Dec 2018, 21:05

I would love to hear a sound test @kakan! Very nice looking board.

mcmaxmcmc

25 Dec 2018, 22:40

@kakan interesting how you swapped W and E. And yes, typing demo please!

Hypersphere

25 Dec 2018, 23:30

kakan wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: @kakan: What is a "bandage mod"? Also -- interesting mouse you've got there.
I put a bit of a cloth bandage on the plate where the stabilizer hit it. It helped a lot on the backspace as there is no screw close to it and it produced a rather hollow sound. The mouse is called finalmouse and weights only 58g due to them removing as much material as possible.
Thanks for the explanation. I do something similar, but I use very thin self-adhesive polyurethane foam applied to the plate where the stabilizer inserts strike the plate. I didn't know that this was called a bandage mod.

I thought your mouse was a Finalmouse -- thanks for confirming this. I've been looking for one of these, such as the latest Ninja Ultralight, but unless it is a typo, the price in the US via Amazon is $280! I am still liking the Logitech G403 that I have been using for over a year, and I have no compelling reason to switch, especially with such a high price

kakan

25 Dec 2018, 23:36

mcmaxmcmc wrote: @kakan interesting how you swapped W and E. And yes, typing demo please!
Haha I haven't actually noticed that due to me touch typing!

Hypersphere wrote:
kakan wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. I do something similar, but I use very thin self-adhesive polyurethane foam applied to the plate where the stabilizer inserts strike the plate. I didn't know that this was called a bandage mod.

I thought your mouse was a Finalmouse -- thanks for confirming this. I've been looking for one of these, such as the latest Ninja Ultralight, but unless it is a typo, the price in the US via Amazon is $280! I am still liking the Logitech G403 that I have been using for over a year, and I have no compelling reason to switch, especially with such a high price
Yeah people are hoarding it for resell value, I had to preorder it back in october and got it just before christmas. I really like it and I used an old deathadder before. It was nothing wrong with it but I do enjoy having just the basic function of a mouse that is light and doesn't need any driver.

abrahamstechnology

26 Dec 2018, 03:41

What I would like is Tai-Hao to release an Alps set with the following:

-Black text on white/gray. No exotic colors until they can get a standard set out and keep it in stock.
-7u spacebar and 1.5u mods.
-Bigass enter.
-Alps mounts on the spacebar.
-Stepped caps lock
-FN KEY

-Optional coloured mods like they did in some of their old boards.

abrahamstechnology

26 Dec 2018, 03:52

kakan wrote: Been using this board I built a couple of days ago. It's NOS SKCL Yellow with dry teflon on the sliders and krytox 104 on the springs. I also used the caps from three different boards I had laying around to make it somewhat an ANSI board but with quirks :lol:, from AEKII DE, M0116 US layout and some from an unknown apple board I had. I also added sorbothane between the pcb and plate and in the case itself and bandage modded space/backspace to make it sound less hollow.

Are those the Taobao yellow alps?

Elrick

26 Dec 2018, 09:50

Here's an answer to one of your queries;

https://shop.finalmouse.com/products/ai ... 5888050212

kakan

26 Dec 2018, 17:57

abrahamstechnology wrote:
Are those the Taobao yellow alps?
Yep, bought them a while back. I think they are assumed to be SKCLFQ. Not sure if the seller still have them in stock, otherwise check with blaize if he has some left from his group buys.

abrahamstechnology

27 Dec 2018, 00:27

Hypersphere wrote: I received a reply from Daniel at KBP regarding my suggestion to try Hua-Jie AK-CN2 switches in some of their keyboards.

He was very receptive to the idea. He has contacted Hua-Jie and plans to make some prototypes for testing. I agreed to test a prototype and post reviews. Oddly enough, he said it was news to him that this company existed and that like KBP, it is located in Taiwan.

I advocated putting the switches in their totally programmable V60 Type R keyboards, but he said they were now having trouble sourcing the ATmega32U4 chips.

It will probably take a while to receive the keyboard, but I will be sure to post my impressions of it shortly after it arrives.
Mind asking him what keycaps he uses?

Return to “Keyboards”