Alps Appreciation

Myoth

05 Feb 2019, 00:31

But your clone switches aren't the class of switches that worked great in the first place, so why even bother ?

Link me some complicated Alps clones and I'll be the first one to be interested in them.

purdobol

05 Feb 2019, 00:36

//gainsborough wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 23:58
But then your target audience isn't us, it's the general populous.
It's not even that. The only segment big enough and willing to pay premium for quality products is "by gamers for gamers". With all the quirks and weird trends attached. Would even go so far as to say that the only way to achieve success with new switch or quality clone is to directly target them.

So far it didn't happen, but I bet it will. Sooner or later.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

05 Feb 2019, 00:40

abrahamstechnology wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 00:26
Then it makes sense to go with a class of switches that worked great in the first place.
...r-right - SKCM alps.
Myoth wrote:
Link me some complicated Alps clones and I'll be the first one to be interested in them.
+1

abrahamstechnology

05 Feb 2019, 00:41

Myoth wrote:
But your clone switches aren't the class of switches that worked great in the first place, so why even bother ?

It's NOT the switchplate that makes the keyfeel!

abrahamstechnology

05 Feb 2019, 00:43

//gainsborough wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 00:40
05 Feb 2019, 00:26
Then it makes sense to go with a class of switches that worked great in the first place.
...r-right - SKCM alps.

It was the housing, NOT the SKCM switchplate that made Alps' keyfeel great.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

05 Feb 2019, 00:44

purdobol wrote:
It's not even that. The only segment big enough and willing to pay premium for quality products is "by gamers for gamers". With all the quirks and weird trends attached. Would even go so far as to say that the only way to achieve success with new switch or quality clone is to directly target them.

One could certainly make a [pretty BS] case for gamers, actually!

TRY ALPS NOW!!!! SHORTER TRAVEL THAN GENERAL CHERRY MX SWITCHES! THE .5MM MAKES A DIFFERENCE! BY GAMERS FOR GAMERS!

You can have that one for free, Matias.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

05 Feb 2019, 00:45

Okay now here is where I have to definitively disagree. I definitely think the switchplate contributes to both sound and feel in complicated alps.

edit: and in fact - I think replacing any single major component of the switch will alter the way it both feels and sounds. Switchplate, slider material, click-leaf/tactile-leaf, spring weight, and housing all play a role in my mind.
Last edited by //gainsborough on 05 Feb 2019, 00:49, edited 2 times in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

05 Feb 2019, 00:46

Myoth wrote:

Well you’re right about that! It’s the whole apparatus; the spring, leaf, slider, housing, keycap, etc. Each component complementing the last one perfectly, like pairing a fine wine with a steak.

Actually alps are overrated. #BuckySpringBoi4£if€

abrahamstechnology

05 Feb 2019, 00:47

purdobol wrote:
//gainsborough wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 23:58
But then your target audience isn't us, it's the general populous.

True. And I think it's sad that non-gamer desktop PC users are content on typing on crappy Mac-knockoff chicklet keyboards.

Hypersphere

05 Feb 2019, 00:50

This is one of those discussions that could use some hard data. Of course, it's much more fun to speculate. ;)

Hak Foo

05 Feb 2019, 07:15

Frankly, I think the trick would be to find a way to bake it into the cost of business PCs.

Many people are typing on soggy rubber domes and chicklets because it's what Dell/HP/Lenovo/Acer ships in the box, and the procurement process says "replacements get the standard model keyboard of the day."

If they introduced a new AT101W and sold it stock with every business-class PC, it would be the #1 mechanical board on the market in two months.

Hypersphere

05 Feb 2019, 15:57

How the cool kids respond to the question, "What's your Alps status?"

It's complicated.

purdobol

05 Feb 2019, 16:35

Hypersphere wrote:

It's complicated.
Hahahahahaha :lol:
Spoiler:

Hypersphere

06 Feb 2019, 00:21

purdobol wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:

It's complicated.
Spoiler:
I must say, I rather liked that myself.

We should have tee shirts made with that slogan, perhaps illustrated with an exploded view of an SKCM complicated [blue] Alps switch from the DT wiki. The proceeds could go toward funding Alps resurrection projects. (Now I'm actually being serious).

abrahamstechnology

06 Feb 2019, 03:11

Hypersphere wrote:
purdobol wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:

It's complicated.
Spoiler:

We should have tee shirts made with that slogan, perhaps illustrated with an exploded view of an SKCM complicated [blue] Alps switch from the DT wiki. The proceeds could go toward funding Alps resurrection projects. (Now I'm actually being serious).
Would support that!

Menuhin

06 Feb 2019, 12:23

Hypersphere wrote:
purdobol wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:

It's complicated.
Spoiler:

+1
Both the 'exploding' Alps T-shirt and the real complicated Alps resurrection project (perhaps even make Alps PCB-mountable when resurrected)

ZedTheMan

06 Feb 2019, 16:29

+1 to exploding Alps t-shirt

Hypersphere

07 Feb 2019, 00:17

Anyone willing to take on the job of organizing the Alps tee shirt project?

I regret that I cannot, owing to current work commitments.

Polecat

07 Feb 2019, 04:05

Hypersphere wrote:

It's complicated.
I want the old fishing proverb paraphrased on my T-shirt-- "The worst day typing on Alps is better than the best day typing on anything else."

(That's an opinion, and a rather facetious one at that...which really shouldn't have to be explained...or dumbed down with an emoticon so the idiots will know how to react...)

Muirium
µ

07 Feb 2019, 08:59

“Don’t ask me about my keyboard without an appointment. It’s complicated.”

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

07 Feb 2019, 09:04

Muirium
µ

07 Feb 2019, 09:52

When it comes to Alps, It’s Complicated.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Feb 2019, 13:24

Muirium wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 09:52
When it comes to Alps, It’s Complicated.
Very true, before I found my beloved ALPS KB's I bought a lot of garbage. :cry:

Muirium
µ

07 Feb 2019, 13:31

Speaking of which, I still have that sleek Alps equipped NeXT waiting for you!

seebart

07 Feb 2019, 13:53

Muirium wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 13:31
Speaking of which, I still have that sleek Alps equipped NeXT waiting for you!
:o :oops:

Hypersphere

07 Feb 2019, 14:57

Perhaps we could upgrade the tee shirt to wearable tech, so that the slogan could be easily changed or rotated among several.

seebart

07 Feb 2019, 16:04

Hypersphere wrote:
Perhaps we could upgrade the tee shirt to wearable tech, so that the slogan could be easily changed or rotated among several.
I'd love a tee shirt! Sign me up! :P

Polecat

08 Feb 2019, 03:00

Hypersphere wrote:
Nice, but we'll need to agree on a default slogan that it reverts to when the programming chip fails.

Menuhin

08 Feb 2019, 09:16

Polecat wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:
Nice, but we'll need to agree on a default slogan that it reverts to when the programming chip fails.
A good old normal machine washable and under the sun dry-able and wet T-shirt contest usable T-shirt would be good... if actuate-able then even better.
By the way, I hate bamboo Alps switches and the simplified ones - they should go extinct. Please don't contaminate the design of good key feels - bamboo Alps they have to go.

Hypersphere

08 Feb 2019, 15:14

Menuhin wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 09:16
Polecat wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:
A good old normal machine washable and under the sun dry-able and wet T-shirt contest usable T-shirt would be good... if actuate-able then even better.
By the way, I hate bamboo Alps switches and the simplified ones - they should go extinct. Please don't contaminate the design of good key feels - bamboo Alps they have to go.
What about short switch plates?

Return to “Keyboards”