Alps Appreciation

ohaimark
Kingpin

14 Feb 2016, 04:40

Oh Alps, your price high
Your colors, shapes unending
Like namesake mountains

(Thread started due to Chyros' "DO ITTTTTT.")

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Feb 2016, 05:48

IMG_7866.JPG
IMG_7866.JPG (244.69 KiB) Viewed 123794 times
Alps are so aesthetically pleasing. 8-)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 Feb 2016, 06:04

Hey I was supposed to start this thread! No matter, because I'm now the owner of this beauty!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Feb 2016, 06:14

What switches on that AEKII Blaise?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 Feb 2016, 06:17

Couldn't get info from seller but probably White Damped based on other listings I've seen in Japan.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Feb 2016, 06:18

Think I have a board with the same switches. Sure are quieter than most alps switches.

ohaimark
Kingpin

14 Feb 2016, 06:39

Blaise170 wrote: Hey I was supposed to start this thread! No matter, because I'm now the owner of this beauty...
Sorry for threadjacking... I was impatient -- couldn't resist when I had the haiku idea.

Chyros

14 Feb 2016, 13:59

Redmaus wrote:
IMG_7866.JPG
Alps are so aesthetically pleasing. 8-)
Oh my god that is beautiful =o.

They really are photogenic little bastards aren't they? :D

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 Feb 2016, 14:16

Haha I didn't realize they were Yellows since I have fl.ux activated on my phone and laptop.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Feb 2016, 14:50

Random Alps love...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Feb 2016, 14:54

Well I guess I can't ignore this thread then. You did not specify Alps SKCL/SKCM BTW ohaimark. ;)
IMGP1038.JPG
IMGP1038.JPG (962.44 KiB) Viewed 123518 times
Apple_M0110_Alps_SKCC.jpg
Apple_M0110_Alps_SKCC.jpg (975.11 KiB) Viewed 123511 times
Last edited by seebart on 14 Feb 2016, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

14 Feb 2016, 14:56

I also need to try out Alps plate spring at some point. Apparently they're not bad :) .

seebart

14 Feb 2016, 15:01

Chyros wrote: I also need to try out Alps plate spring at some point. Apparently they're not bad :) .
But there's no dome of any sorts involved Chyros. :evilgeek:

That SEGA board is sick webwit, I managed to ban it out of my brain because I know I'll never own one and now this flashback... :x :cry:

ohaimark
Kingpin

14 Feb 2016, 15:09

seebart wrote: Well I guess I can't ignore this thread then. You did not specify Alps SKCL/SKCM BTW ohaimark. ;)
The lack of specification was intentional. No reason to exclude any of the Alps family.

amospalla
let's go

14 Feb 2016, 15:12

I've been afraid for months Topre being an end on the game of keyboards for me, but yesterday I fetched my Matias Quiet which was collecting dust, after I decided it was not for me long time ago.

I'm currently enjoying it like a kid, such crisp and harsh feel that contrasts so much with the Topre one which is kind and has an attenuated tactility (but a king in his area).

I've got a salmon Alps which I only bought for its caps and has no use for me. Tested it a bit yesterday and it is nicely tactile, but I am under the impression that Matias did a good job with its tactile and quiet switch, more sharp while still more quiet.

Are there better tactile and quiet Alps out there? Do these exist? My only experience has been Matias, Acer clones and salmon Alps, experience that I guess is not wide enough for sure on these switches.
Last edited by amospalla on 14 Feb 2016, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.

ohaimark
Kingpin

14 Feb 2016, 15:14

You could look into all of the Damped Alps lineup on our wiki... As for tactiles, I've heard that Browns are delectable.

ReleaseCandidate

14 Feb 2016, 15:22

amospalla wrote: I've got a salmon Alps which I only bought for its caps and has no use for me. Tested it a bit yesterday and it is nicely tactile, but I am under the impression that Matias did a good job with its tactile and quiet switch, more sharp while still more quiet.
Matias QC feel the same as damped cream to me. Maybe a bit 'sharper', but my Matias are new and the creams not.

seebart

14 Feb 2016, 15:22

This NTC KB-6151 cannot be absent here:
IMGP6565.JPG
IMGP6565.JPG (941.03 KiB) Viewed 123477 times
Last edited by seebart on 14 Feb 2016, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Hypersphere

14 Feb 2016, 15:36

I have an IBM 5140 that is in my project "to do" list. The brown Alps and dye-sub PBT caps are wonderful. I haven't decided yet which way to go with this -- either convert it to USB and build a case for it or harvest the switches and caps for a custom 60% Alps board.

seaworthy

14 Feb 2016, 16:26

amospalla wrote:
Are there better tactile and quiet Alps out there? Do these exist? My only experience has been Matias, Acer clones and salmon Alps, experience that I guess is not wide enough for sure on these switches.
White damped Alps (occasionally found in the AEK II) have a great feel if you like a tactile, damped Alps switch. I have a Matias Laptop Pro. I loved it for a few years. But the Matias quiet switches are inferior to a white damped or even a cream damped Alps. To me they have become somewhat mushy feeling. I’ve got a set of PBT caps on them and it helps marginally, but they just lack a crispness that I prefer.

I find the salmon Alps to be very nice. They are just tiny bit more crunchy than orange Alps. My favorite feeling Alps is the Monterey Blue clone. They’re a little lighter and have a wonderful quiet(ish) click. But as I learned, the Monterey switches have a pinout different from standard Alps and don’t fit in many boards. I have found they work well in the Apple IIgs keyboard where I’m transplanting some.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 Feb 2016, 16:35

These two need to be here too (for the old folks):

More pics here: photos-f62/alps-akb-3420-vintage-keyboard-t12200.html

More pics here: http://vintagecomputer.ca/vintage-alps-keyboard/

Chyros

14 Feb 2016, 17:11

Ah, that's the Alps SKCC saver Seebart wants, right? How about we coin the term "Alpsaver"? 8) I've always liked the nicknames certain keyboards and switches have gotten over the years, we should do it more often.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Feb 2016, 18:01

Mmm mmm mmm. Tasty thread.

seebart

14 Feb 2016, 18:01

Chyros wrote: Ah, that's the Alps SKCC saver Seebart wants, right? How about we coin the term "Alpsaver"? 8) I've always liked the nicknames certain keyboards and switches have gotten over the years, we should do it more often.
That's right, and of course it's super rare, even in Japan. "Alpsaver" sounds cool.

Hypersphere

14 Feb 2016, 18:10

Or "Alpsavor". Yum.

Chyros

14 Feb 2016, 19:25

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: I also need to try out Alps plate spring at some point. Apparently they're not bad :) .
But there's no dome of any sorts involved Chyros. :evilgeek:
Heheheh, yeah it's been very domey the last two weeks! :lol: Truth be told I'm running out of keyboards, I need that Zenith to arrive!

But you'll be eating those words when you see what I'll be posting next week! :evilgeek:

seebart

14 Feb 2016, 20:51

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote: But you'll be eating those words when you see what I'll be posting next week! :evilgeek:
:shock: OK well you got me curious. Not like you need to promote your reviews here. ( •_•)

Chyros

14 Feb 2016, 21:16

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote: But you'll be eating those words when you see what I'll be posting next week! :evilgeek:
:shock: OK well you got me curious. Not like you need to promote your reviews here. ( •_•)
Haha no I just meant it won't exactly be domes next weekend ;) .

terrycherry

15 Feb 2016, 04:16

seebart wrote: Well I guess I can't ignore this thread then. You did not specify Alps SKCL/SKCM BTW ohaimark. ;)
Apple_M0110_Alps_SKCC.jpg
I love that black SKCC. What is that keyboard?

jacobolus

15 Feb 2016, 04:42

Chyros wrote: Truth be told I'm running out of keyboards,
If you come to the SF bay area, you can visit HaaTa’s apartment for about a year’s worth of new review material.

Return to “Keyboards”