Smooth ALPS

Hypersphere

07 Aug 2016, 17:12

@IKSLM: You might wish to consult with lot_lizard, ohalmark or XMIT per this thread:

workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796-630.html

lot_lizard had this to say about lubing the springs and barrels in his FSSK project:

"To your point about Teflon, I will be soaking the springs and barrels in a PTFE bath after cleaning (mainly for smoothness, but also it eliminate any "scratchy" sounds). Was recommended by ohaimark / XMIT in another thread. I tried, it is works quite well."

4sStylZ

25 Aug 2019, 11:03

Hey,

I know it’s a 2 years necro but I want more information. I am not a native English speaker and I have read many post / forum about lubing but I fear to miss interpret and inverse some statement :p

Actually I have a keyboard with white dampened alps linearized. I have removed the leaf for that.
I have buyed two PTFE lube. Actually that’s not one recommanded by the post because I am in Europe and can’t find any of them except at very high price / very small quantity.

My first question is : Is it recomanded to lube linearized white dampened switch or not ?
My second one : After using compressed air, what part of the switch I need to lube exactly ? The two face of the slider ?

Primuds

25 Aug 2019, 13:08

4sStylZ wrote:
Hey,

I know it’s 2 years necro but I want more information. I am not a native English speaker and I have read many posts/forum about lubing but I fear to miss interpret and inverse some statement :p

Actually, I have a keyboard with white dampened alps linearized. I have removed the leaf for that.
I have bought two PTFE lube. Actually, that’s not one recommended by the post because I am in Europe and can’t find any of them except at a very high price / very small quantity.

My first question is: Is it recommended to lube linearized white dampened switch or not?
My second one: After using compressed air, what part of the switch I need to lube exactly? The two face of the slider?
I think you are on the right track. All the best with your lubing adventures!

cli

26 Aug 2019, 13:33

4sStylZ wrote:
My second one : After using compressed air, what part of the switch I need to lube exactly ? The two face of the slider ?
It can reduce the friction of the rubber dampers.
4sStylZ wrote:
I would use the bag method to lube the sliders. Check the wiki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR_64_LChtM

4sStylZ

27 Aug 2019, 14:13

Haven’t seen your post before trying to lube them and this is a little mess.
The first day the switch was better, really good but not perfect, but after one night they seem’s very bad, like scratchy.

I have used 3 in 1 ptfe spray lube on the slider.

I don’t know if this is my way to do wich is bad or the lube. I will look your video when I have time for it and maybe try your way to do.

Thank you.

4sStylZ

30 Aug 2019, 14:25

An interesting Reddit post have provided me some informations :
the switches were a bit stiff because the keyboard was in storage for a long time. i cleaned them and it still has that stiffness until i changed the springs to the ones i harvested from box jades and lubed them. now they feel really good. the rear tactile leaf is apparently is much stronger than the front contact leaf = unbalanced horizontal force in the switches = the somewhat sticky feel, and changing to a stronger spring kinda removes this without much change in the colossal tactility
My spring are probably not in good condition, but a good point for me is I can’t have the horizontale balance simply because mines are linearized and I don’t have the opposite Leaf.

I will make a test by adding the opposite leaf and make them tactil again and propably try the « stronger spring » tips.

Return to “Keyboards”