Getting a Topre for gaming. Need help choosing.

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 18:32

So about a year ago I asked for a gaming keyboard. I was about to get a filco majestouch 2. Soon after deciding, I was accidentally bought a Logitech G710+ with brown switches. I felt kinda depressed but the keyboard was fine. Even with O rings it makes springy noises but the brown switches don't feel too heave and maybe feel to light as I bottom out almost always. Now I have decided to switch (get it? :D) right to the king of all. I have a huge indecision problem and I can't decide between RF U87 55g, 45g, (both uniform) or HHKB. This will be primarily for gaming and as I have heard any switch is personal taste for gaming, I REALLY WANT A TOPRE. So what do you guys think would be best for my. I am not worried about the HHKB layout as people say in time, it becomes better than the standard one. that seems true to me since the ctrl (crouch) key will be closer to me. I play games like Chivalry Medieval Warfare, CSGO, Overwatch, Planetside 2, Dirtybomb (FPS) and occasionally LOTRO (MMO) ESO (MMO) and Age of Empires 2 (RTS). IN planetside 2 you do use the vehicle keys to switch seats but that isn't that urgent. I can use an extra second to switch vehicle seats most of the time.

Phenix
-p

07 May 2016, 18:51

in terms of switch weight I would go for 55g. I tried both last week, way nicer (at least for me).
HHKB benefits are its size (mouse nearer to board). Realforce is normal TKL.

You can also look into the Novatouch /http://www.amazon.com/Storm-NovaTouch-T ... B00MY3S288).
Basically Topre, but Cherry mx-keycap compatible.

personally I would either take the HHKB or the Novatouch

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 19:15

Why not the 55g since you say great things about it. Remember I play a lot so weight might be...

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 19:17

The novatouch has bad quality reviews so I dont want that :(

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 May 2016, 19:20

Just get the best of both worlds:

wiki/Leopold_FC_660C

Phenix
-p

07 May 2016, 19:23

I tried the Novatouch (with installed dampening rings + lubed stabs and it was really quite. The Realforce is fine - but I compared those side by side, and the Novatouch was more silent and the stabs didn't rattled that much. And the Novatouch cheaper)

FC660 - that's ANSI, so not for me

seebart

07 May 2016, 19:25

This is not your thread Phenix! I'm giving advice to bobafetish!

Phenix
-p

07 May 2016, 19:33

I know! I just named that's ANSI. Just wanted to help, but anyway you are more advanced

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 19:36

Ok, so its set in stone, realforce 55g, 45g, or hhkb. Which ONE is the best out of those :D. If we bring CM and leopold into the mix, I will get a headache.

seebart

07 May 2016, 19:41

It's OK Phenix, yes it is ANSI and of course you can respond anyway you like, sorry. Regarding Topre, I do not considder myself an "expert" by any means. I own two Topre boards and do not use them very often. We have quite a few other users here at DT that have a much stronger Topre affinity and way more Topre experience than me.

bobafetish, have a look at the Leopold FC660C if you have not done so, it's an interesting option.
bobafetish wrote: Ok, so its set in stone, realforce 55g, 45g, or hhkb. Which ONE is the best out of those :D. If we bring CM and leopold into the mix, I will get a headache.
Trust me, there is no "best". As you know one is a 60% the other is a TKL. Slight difference to beginn with! I'd go for a 55g Realforce, but you will get many different opinions here.

Check out our Realforce wiki page if you like (but don't get a headache):

wiki/Topre_Realforce

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 20:22

I have small hands, which you could connect with weak hands. Is there a chance that I may get fatigued over long gaming periods. (We are talking 10+ hours here :D)

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 20:23

To clarify, I mean with 55g.

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 20:24

Also, can someone with an HHKB tell me how hard is it to adjust to the new ctrl key, and fn keys while gaming.

Phenix
-p

07 May 2016, 20:27

For the FN keys you might try Touchcursor
http://martin-stone.github.io/touchcursor/

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 20:51

I meant f keys like f1-f12

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 20:55

I feel like im looking for a reason not to get the HHKB. The only thing realforce has for it is more topre sound and has keys. It probably will hurt my hands though and HHKB has other ways to get keys. You guys think the right call is HHKB. I love the size factor and will probably get used to the messed up layout.

Khers

07 May 2016, 21:00

The layout isn't messed up. It's perfection.

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 21:01

ok, how is the "perfect" layout in terms of gaming,

seebart

07 May 2016, 21:02

Of course you can fatigue over a period of ten hours! You need to take breaks then.

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 21:05

Yeah, I take breaks but yeah, like some people have insane complains of fatigue even only with a couple of hours. Is that for typing or something?

Khers

07 May 2016, 21:07

bobafetish wrote: ok, how is the "perfect" layout in terms of gaming,
I have no idea as I don't game. Having said that, I assume it depends on what game/s you're playing and what keys you need for those. If you need quick access to Fx-keys, get a TKL. If you need a numpad, get a full size or an external numpad. Simple really. Having one hand on the mouse and activating F1 on an HHKB is going to be tough, unless you are a sasquatch, but then the keyboard may be unusable for other reasons.

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 21:10

Impossible tough? How tough? I need to use f keys to switch vehicles in planetside. I usually dont have hours to do that but an extra second or 2 to look down at the keyboard is fine.

Khers

07 May 2016, 21:26

Well, you get F1 by pressing Fn together with 1. Fn is right of the right shift and 1 is where 1 usually is. That's quite a stretch so will not be possible one-handed. Trying this, I can do F6 through 12 one handed, with the other requiring both hands.

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 21:28

oh, Thanks! This works for me as I can easily bring my mouse hand right of shift for a split second. Also, what do you guys think of the new control key. I will have to get used to crouching with a different key in every game ever.

TuxKey
LLAP

07 May 2016, 21:30

Hi there,

Wanted to give you my opinion on the matter..

I tried all cherry switches out there and settled on Topre myself.
i got the Leopold FC660C 45g Topre.

I briefly tried the CM NovaTouch also 45g Topre i was in a store and can't say i felt good about it..
But last week i went to keyboard meet we had here in The Netherland and tried a NovaTouch that had the dental band mod and lubed the modifiers and had the "carbon sa keycap set" on.

And my view of this board changed i did a u turn on this one.. hahahha
The problem with the NovaTouch is that it needs sum TLC but after that it has the potential to be F..ing Awsome..
i'm going to try to get a barebone model to save a couple of pennies and do a complete overhaul of the board..

in my opinion its the only offering if you want a TKL Topre with detachable cable slimmer case..
But the reason why it felt so good and sounded great was a number of mods done well.
The ideal keycap + correct lubing + rubberbands all that hard work gives you a good NovaTouch in the end you won't save any $ doing this so that's not the reason to do this..

I also tried the HHKB and well to tell you the truth i was not that impressed. I missed my arrow cluster to tell you the truth.
But if i was going to get a HHKB i would definitely get the model S .. :mrgreen:

Just do a search on the HHKB2 model S on youtube and hear that awesome sound of silenced Topre switches.

If Realforce would sell a white model S that was uniform i would buy it hahahah ...

i tried a 55g Realforce at the keyboard meetup and i noticed that the tactile feel of topre was more noticeable that on 45g
But that's just because i was trying it out standing..

Now that i'm typing on a 45g Topre board al day i rather prefer it that a 55g..
Lots of people have said that the Leopold FC660C feels more like a 50g than a 45g and i agree with that assessment.

i also have a FC660M with mx-clears really like that board but after typing on my 45g topre the mx-clears feel to heavy for me. But the tactile feel is way way better than mx-browns..

The optimal cherry switch would be a mx-clear with mx-brown spring in it..But that's only possible if you make it your self..

you already said you don't mind the layout ..And you don't like the light browns so i would grab a HHKB and if you can get your hands on a model S .. :mrgreen: i would really go for it..

On the matter of 45g vs 55g that one is difficult. 002 once gave me good advice by telling me this. (approximation)

if you type for longer session example for more than 8 hours i would grab the 45g if your more of a short period user i would go for the more tactile feel..

Topre for gaming .. :ugeek: now that's what i call class
i just got my Ducky Secret mouse nice PBT feeling agh never going back to regular plastic hahahah

Carpe momento

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 22:52

I dont think I can afford the extra $100+ model S. Also, since you have tried the 55g and 45g and HHKB. Which one would you use for gaming. Also, I am fine with the browns, but maybe would like something a bit more tactile. Which one would you get? I am reading so many reviews I am so confused. :(

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 22:54

@Muirium I remember you as a topre fanboy so could you give me some advice?

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 22:56

TuxKey wrote: Hi there,

Wanted to give you my opinion on the matter..

I tried all cherry switches out there and settled on Topre myself.
i got the Leopold FC660C 45g Topre.

I briefly tried the CM NovaTouch also 45g Topre i was in a store and can't say i felt good about it..
But last week i went to keyboard meet we had here in The Netherland and tried a NovaTouch that had the dental band mod and lubed the modifiers and had the "carbon sa keycap set" on.

And my view of this board changed i did a u turn on this one.. hahahha
The problem with the NovaTouch is that it needs sum TLC but after that it has the potential to be F..ing Awsome..
i'm going to try to get a barebone model to save a couple of pennies and do a complete overhaul of the board..

in my opinion its the only offering if you want a TKL Topre with detachable cable slimmer case..
But the reason why it felt so good and sounded great was a number of mods done well.
The ideal keycap + correct lubing + rubberbands all that hard work gives you a good NovaTouch in the end you won't save any $ doing this so that's not the reason to do this..

I also tried the HHKB and well to tell you the truth i was not that impressed. I missed my arrow cluster to tell you the truth.
But if i was going to get a HHKB i would definitely get the model S .. :mrgreen:

Just do a search on the HHKB2 model S on youtube and hear that awesome sound of silenced Topre switches.

If Realforce would sell a white model S that was uniform i would buy it hahahah ...

i tried a 55g Realforce at the keyboard meetup and i noticed that the tactile feel of topre was more noticeable that on 45g
But that's just because i was trying it out standing..

Now that i'm typing on a 45g Topre board al day i rather prefer it that a 55g..
Lots of people have said that the Leopold FC660C feels more like a 50g than a 45g and i agree with that assessment.

i also have a FC660M with mx-clears really like that board but after typing on my 45g topre the mx-clears feel to heavy for me. But the tactile feel is way way better than mx-browns..

The optimal cherry switch would be a mx-clear with mx-brown spring in it..But that's only possible if you make it your self..

you already said you don't mind the layout ..And you don't like the light browns so i would grab a HHKB and if you can get your hands on a model S .. :mrgreen: i would really go for it..

On the matter of 45g vs 55g that one is difficult. 002 once gave me good advice by telling me this. (approximation)

if you type for longer session example for more than 8 hours i would grab the 45g if your more of a short period user i would go for the more tactile feel..

Topre for gaming .. :ugeek: now that's what i call class
i just got my Ducky Secret mouse nice PBT feeling agh never going back to regular plastic hahahah

Carpe momento
You confused me even more. Sometimes I game for 1 hour, 3 hours, 5 hours, 10 hours, everything. I really don't know. But I game for at least 1 hour minimum I think.

seebart

07 May 2016, 22:58

Maybe you should try Topre before you buy Topre, get it? Because as you know they're not exactly cheap. Depending in where you are you might not be able to even get one for a while. Have you ever tried Topre? It's nothing like Cherry MX.

bobafetish

07 May 2016, 23:08

I can get an HHKB at my door in 3 days from amazon. I haven't tried topre but I have played a piano. I am told its like piano keys. I know its a bad comparison. :D.

Return to “Keyboards”