Plum Nano75 Electrastatic Capacitive Bluetooth RGB Keyboard

zslane

10 Mar 2017, 01:27

vivalarevolución wrote:
zslane wrote: The search for a 60% board with TMX switches leads us down this road.
Just chop up one of those new Realforce RGB keyboards! Nothing like buying a $250 keyboard and chopping it up.
The only irreversible thing I'm willing to do to a keyboard is paint its case. And that's only mostly irreversible.

Menuhin

11 Mar 2017, 19:21

Someone likes the 55g dome swap modded PLUM keyboard a lot:
https://imgur.com/gallery/83twV

(Original post in /r/mk)

I would have kept mine if there is an easy way to convert it to a HHKB layout: a split backspace (1u + 1u) and a 1.75u R_Shift; or that I didn't decide to switch to the HHKB layout.

mech greenhand

15 Mar 2017, 16:50

The restock of plum nano75 keyboard is in another 1 week time. This time, it comes still in 35g and 45g RGB versions. Possibly the non-backlit version starts from next production batch...

zslane

15 Mar 2017, 18:06

I'm ready to buy a 45cN one. It's nice to know that a 55cN dome swap is an option if the 45cN domes don't provide any tactility.

Menuhin

15 Mar 2017, 18:27

zslane wrote: I'm ready to buy a 45cN one. It's nice to know that a 55cN dome swap is an option if the 45cN domes don't provide any tactility.
To swap the TKL 55cN dome sheet in the PLUM 87 is straightforward, the case of PLUM 84 was a bit tricky because that required some creative trimming of the sheet. For Nano75, I can see that only the top row will need some mod.

Why did I convert myself to the SUN Type-5c layout...

zslane

24 Mar 2017, 01:27

mech greenhand wrote: The restock of plum nano75 keyboard is in another 1 week time. This time, it comes still in 35g and 45g RGB versions. Possibly the non-backlit version starts from next production batch...
Did this ever happen?

fruitalgorithm

24 Mar 2017, 11:47

I've had an issue with my Plum 75 now for second time. The battery was already a little lower. When I pressed the ; and ' keys they printed : and ". With shift is was reversed. Switching the layout switches and turning it off and on didn't help. After recharging the battery I reset it pressing esc, l ctrl, r ctrl, del the keys worked correctly again. The first time this happened it went away after a while. I suspect low battery voltage may be related to this as it happened the second time when the battery indicator was already flashing.

shreebles
Finally 60%

24 Mar 2017, 21:19

Hm, I suspect some different firmware bug.
The same thing happened to me on the same characters, but the keyboard was plugged in, not on battery power.
(Only difference, in my keyboard layout it was Ö Ä. But that is the same physical key as ; ' on ANSI)

zslane

30 Mar 2017, 02:27

Can we buy these from mech greenhand now or what? I'm getting impatient...

mech greenhand

30 Mar 2017, 16:29

fruitalgorithm wrote: I've had an issue with my Plum 75 now for second time. The battery was already a little lower. When I pressed the ; and ' keys they printed : and ". With shift is was reversed. Switching the layout switches and turning it off and on didn't help. After recharging the battery I reset it pressing esc, l ctrl, r ctrl, del the keys worked correctly again. The first time this happened it went away after a while. I suspect low battery voltage may be related to this as it happened the second time when the battery indicator was already flashing.

Is your keyboard BT4.0 version ? Try Fn+ L Shift key. This is the changeover for those symbols output. New firmware has changed this type of design...

mech greenhand

30 Mar 2017, 16:33

zslane wrote: Can we buy these from mech greenhand now or what? I'm getting impatient...
Hello, the RGB versions are back in stock already. Orders are welcome. Pls visit my shop on aliexpress.( name your DT name in the order. we will offer a small gift ) . plum nano75

zslane

30 Mar 2017, 19:05

snoopy_dance2.gif
snoopy_dance2.gif (99.51 KiB) Viewed 7003 times

THATGUY69

31 Mar 2017, 02:46

Nice looking board for someone on the go. I've Never typed on a Plum before, how do they compare to the topre switch? I've been looking into topre but I just can't make that $200 leap of faith for a keyboard i'm not sure i'm going to like.

hexpyws

02 Apr 2017, 20:53

Just bought one. Excited. Been waiting for these particular Plums as I want as narrow of a keyboard as possible to keep the mouse in close.

fruitalgorithm

02 Apr 2017, 21:05

mech greenhand wrote: Is your keyboard BT4.0 version ? Try Fn+ L Shift key. This is the changeover for those symbols output. New firmware has changed this type of design...
Yes, I have the Bluetooth 4.0 version. Fn + left shift does change it! Why is that even built into the firmware without being mentioned in the manual? I have no idea how this could be useful.

OPIV

03 Apr 2017, 19:08

I wish a 60% version of this existed, really enjoying my plum 75 and 87 but a 60% would be just perfect.

fruitalgorithm

04 Apr 2017, 14:22

Prices are now less than 120 on aliexpress.

shreebles
Finally 60%

04 Apr 2017, 16:57

fruitalgorithm wrote: Prices are now less than 120 on aliexpress.
Ah, you mean Euro. Default currency is still $$ for me.

I just ordered a 35g one, the only one sold from this batch :)

It appears everyone is buying solely the 45g version, which is understandable for those looking for something close to Topre or at least with moderately strong tactility. Personally, I was looking for something else, though.

On that note:
THATGUY69 wrote: Nice looking board for someone on the go. I've Never typed on a Plum before, how do they compare to the topre switch? I've been looking into topre but I just can't make that $200 leap of faith for a keyboard i'm not sure i'm going to like.
Having typed on a Novatouch, a Realforce and the 45g Plum Nano 75, I would say it's well within the range of a Topre keyboard, but not all Topre keyboards.

If you are interested in any of the features of the Nano 75, such as dampening, bluetooth, or programmability, it beats most Topre boards out of the box.

If you are solely looking for the best Topre-like typing quality, and features are less important to you, only real Topre will satisfy you.

I say give it a go because it is a solid mechanical keyboard and comes at a really good price for the features.
If you like the feel of the 45g, you can still jump to a Realforce or Leopold later, but know that that rabbit hole (and the hole in your wallet) will go much deeper.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

18 Apr 2017, 14:36

@greehand:
Could you provide us with updates on the firmware for this keyboard?
Who knows, maybe there is a new mindblowing software available.

drakche

24 Apr 2017, 15:11

Hi guys.
Is there a website where it's possible to check for firmware updates for Plum keyboards??

Thanks for your help. :)

drakche

24 Apr 2017, 15:13

Menuhin wrote: Someone likes the 55g dome swap modded PLUM keyboard a lot:
https://imgur.com/gallery/83twV

(Original post in /r/mk)

I would have kept mine if there is an easy way to convert it to a HHKB layout: a split backspace (1u + 1u) and a 1.75u R_Shift; or that I didn't decide to switch to the HHKB layout.

That was me :)

And currently typing on them.
And after couple of months using them. I like them even better. :D

zslane

24 Apr 2017, 18:45

I imagine the 55g dome sheet needs to be all chopped up in order to make the F-row fit properly, yes?

I'm really hoping I'll like the 45g domes that come with it so I don't have to do that swap; it sounds like a real PITA. At least I won't have to install my own silencing rings.

Still waiting for mine to arrive; it appears to be on the literal (not proverbial) slow boat from China...

shreebles
Finally 60%

24 Apr 2017, 20:02

Same for mine zslane, I ordered about two weeks ago, but I'm not worried, it was normal (and cheap!) shipping.

zslane

25 Apr 2017, 05:32

So I received my Plum today. But I don't quite understand something.

The user manual that I found online says that there is a battery power switch on the back of the keyboard. I have a switch that is labeled Office, Media, and Pro, and another thing that looks like a switch but doesn't move, so it can't really be called a switch. What's going on?

Never mind, I found the switch. It's the tiny black one right under the cable exit point.

zslane

25 Apr 2017, 07:36

Okay, so I've replaced the keycaps on my Plum with Industrial SA and have been doing some typing tests to see if I like the feel and sound of the switches. The tactility is pretty subtle, but better than my Noppoo. I would say it is lighter than stock NovaTouch or RealForce switches; it feel fairly similar to 45g Topre switches with Hypersphere rings installed. Not all the switches have the same degree of tactility, but variance between switches is to be expected.

I am going to reserve final judgment until after I've spent a lot more time with it. But so far it is really quite nice. And it looks really great with Industrial SA keycaps on it. It will look even better after I've painted the case tan.

Oh, and I have to remap FN+IJKL to be the arrow keys, and remap Caps Lock to be another FN key. I downloaded the softwre and installed it, but I have not yet connected up the keyboard to my PC to try the remapping process.

But I will say that so far it is working out pretty nicely, and may very well replace my Pok3r as my iPad keyboard. The Bluetooth connectivity seems pretty solid so far, which is a huge plus since I don't have Bluetooth capability with the Pok3r.

drakche

25 Apr 2017, 08:57

Pics man. You can not tell us that and not give us pics!!!!

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

zslane

26 Apr 2017, 05:31

You'll have to use your imagination as to what it will look like after I've painted the case tan:
plum_industrial_75.jpg
plum_industrial_75.jpg (457.89 KiB) Viewed 6631 times

drakche

26 Apr 2017, 10:21

Noice!!
This makes me want my Ashen set even more. :(

mech greenhand

26 Apr 2017, 15:37

[quote="t!ng" post_id=367711]@greehand:
Could you provide us with updates on the firmware for this keyboard?
Who knows, maybe there is a new mindblowing software available

Yeap, there's updated firmware for the BT4.0 version keyboard. Is your keyboard 4.0 version ? Only small changes, no big difference. Also it is important no interruptions during the update procedure, otherwise may make the keyboard no response and has to send it back to plum for reactivation,..

zslane

26 Apr 2017, 19:08

drakche wrote: Noice!!
This makes me want my Ashen set even more. :(
I am tempted to get another one and put Round 4 SPH keycaps on it. But it looks like I'll have to wait another six months for the 45g model to be back in stock again. :roll:

Return to “Keyboards”