Cherry Dyesub PBT keys (yeah, the super rare/expensive ones)

harrison

27 Oct 2011, 07:13

So, I've become obsessed. I need to find some now, even if I can't afford them. Maybe they'll be my Christmas present to myself this year.

How impossible is it going to be for me to find these? What's reasonable versus typical to pay for them when they are found.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Oct 2011, 20:32

It depends on how much you are willing to pay. It seems that 90% of eBay sellers have somehow gotten a hint of whats going on with these. I have not seen a set end under $200 in a long time. I could summon a set or two ANSI US out of thin air if you are willing to pay the usual silly prices.

Ascaii
The Beard

27 Oct 2011, 20:54

Also, are you looking for ANSI or ISO? I do have two iso sets for sale for a slightly less then ridiculous price.

harrison

27 Oct 2011, 22:44

I would be looking for ANSI.

Can either of you tell me how the Cherry PBT key feel compares to the KBC/Ducky PBT keys? I've dropped money in the $200 realm on keyboards more than once now, but dropping that kind of change on a set of keys alone without having touched them is currently based on desire and expectation alone right now. I could use some comparative testimony :)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Oct 2011, 22:45

harrison wrote:I would be looking for ANSI.

Can either of you tell me how the Cherry PBT key feel compares to the KBC/Ducky PBT keys? I've dropped money in the $200 realm on keyboards more than once now, but dropping that kind of change on a set of keys alone without having touched them is currently based on desire and expectation alone right now. I could use some comparative testimony :)
It is pretty hard to explain. Since they are much thicker than the usual PBT keys, they feel different. The keys itself have less texture than the KBC ones and kinda have a silky smooth feel.

Telstar

28 Oct 2011, 02:20

Ascaii wrote:Also, are you looking for ANSI or ISO? I do have two iso sets for sale for a slightly less then ridiculous price.
UK or some other region?
Being sublimation i guess its white keys with black lettering?

cactux

28 Oct 2011, 10:24

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Ascaii
The Beard

28 Oct 2011, 13:07

cactux wrote:What is the boards that has the best Cherry MX keycaps?
mine.

look for SAU letter code

Also /KL is putting together a group buy at GH: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2237 ... ING-ORDERS***

xbb

28 Oct 2011, 13:56

I have one also, I can say PBT dye sub caps are the best imo.

yench

28 Oct 2011, 14:42

pbt caps are the best and i suppose dye sub legends would make them frickin awesome, but 80 euro (sp) or even more (cherry corp.) for caps is just too much for me

fossala
Elite +1

28 Oct 2011, 14:59

That is why I am just going to go with blank ones to save money.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

28 Oct 2011, 17:38

Ascaii wrote: Also /KL is putting together a group buy at GH: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2237 ... ING-ORDERS***
I think the SP ones are not nearly as good as the Cherry ones. Which is of course related to the thickness. I see little reason to get SP ones, when the KBC ones are about 6 times cheaper and of a similar thickness and quality.

ripster

28 Oct 2011, 21:29

You could always try AEKII, SGI Granite, or IBM Model M keys just to see what PBT is like.

Or Topres. Just ignore the ABS spacebar part.

SGI Granites are some of my favs btw.

woody
Count Troller

28 Oct 2011, 21:50

sixty wrote:I think the SP ones are not nearly as good as the Cherry ones. Which is of course related to the thickness. I see little reason to get SP ones, when the KBC ones are about 6 times cheaper and of a similar thickness and quality.
Do KBC have dyesub ones? I remember only lasered.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Oct 2011, 21:52

I think all obsessing over plastic Cherry keycaps is a rather extreme form of faggotry.

ripster

28 Oct 2011, 23:32

I thought it made us all Korean?

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Oct 2011, 23:39

Plastic bits, man. Plastic bits.

intealls

30 Oct 2011, 22:25

webwit wrote:I think all obsessing over plastic Cherry keycaps is a rather extreme form of faggotry.
This is, without a doubt, the best comment posted on this site, ever.

webwit
Wild Duck

31 Oct 2011, 02:19

I was hoping it would have trolled more Cherry fanboys, but only ripster took the bait.

ripster

31 Oct 2011, 02:40

Anyhoo the Germans are the biggest Cherry Corp. fanbois and they all have me on their Ignore List.

intealls

31 Oct 2011, 05:29

webwit wrote:I was hoping it would have trolled more Cherry fanboys, but only ripster took the bait.
I think most of them went, "Shit, he's right." and then decided to not comment any further.

ripster

31 Oct 2011, 07:11

Deutschland Uber Alles. Uber Alles in der Welt! And they are NOT letting the rest of the EU forget it!

mintberryminuscrunch

31 Oct 2011, 08:16

You're kinda ignorant

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Oct 2011, 08:36

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:You're kinda ignorant
My advice - and not only mine:

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... ion#p23642

ripster

31 Oct 2011, 15:59

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:You're kinda ignorant

Nope. Between the All About Keys and the Key Reference Wiki I'd say I'm Number One.

Speaking of which if someone can take a Cherry Corp Dyesub pic like this ( Cherry Corp Brown Cherry RicerCar SPOS) I can add to the wiki.

xbb

31 Oct 2011, 16:26

i need a gray card

ripster

31 Oct 2011, 17:45

Ghetto Gray Card.

Findecanor

31 Oct 2011, 19:21

Off-topic.
ripster wrote:Deutschland Uber Alles. Uber Alles in der Welt!
Originally, those words referred to a unified Germany being more important than each state of its own ... but of course that is kind of far-fetched if you don't know the lyrics' context.
I learned that Germany has pretty much skipped that first part. Now, when it is sung, only the third part is used. It starts with "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit, für das deutsche Vaterland", which is more symphathetic and less prone to be misunderstood out of context. (Unity, justice and freedom in the German home land. For these values, let us all strive, brotherly, with heart and hand)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Oct 2011, 22:44

Findecanor wrote:Off-topic.
ripster wrote:Deutschland Uber Alles. Uber Alles in der Welt!
Originally, those words referred to a unified Germany being more important than each state of its own ... but of course that is kind of far-fetched if you don't know the lyrics' context.
I learned that Germany has pretty much skipped that first part. Now, when it is sung, only the third part is used. It starts with "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit, für das deutsche Vaterland", which is more symphathetic and less prone to be misunderstood out of context. (Unity, justice and freedom in the German home land. For these values, let us all strive, brotherly, with heart and hand)
Right.
"Deutschland über alles" conveyed a meaning somewhat similar to "e pluribus unum", if ripster happens to know what that means. And the third strophe of the song is now the national anthem of Germany: "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit", all notions despised by the Nazis (those people who meant Germans were by nature superior to the rest of the world, like ripster does for Americans).

woody
Count Troller

31 Oct 2011, 23:06

Return to “Keyboards”