Does Salmon/Orange/Cream alps exist in any EU keyboards?

Jimi14

04 Aug 2016, 15:02

I have really wanted to try out some tactile alps switches recently, but since i have been unable to find any (except blacks of course), it makes me wonder, did they even make any EU keyboard with them?
Also, in case they don't, should i try my luck with blacks or are they really as bad as everybody says?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Aug 2016, 15:09

Your best bet are Apple keyboards, although the AEK 1 is rarer in Europe. Alps SKCM feel lousy when heavily used and dirty.

wiki/Apple_Standard_Keyboard

wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard

wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_series

Chyros

04 Aug 2016, 15:31

There's plenty of EU keyboards with salmon and orange keyboards! Like Seebart said, easily the most forthcoming source is Apple keyboards, but old Wangs (:P) and Alps-made AT101s also have them.

Black don't feel lousy really, but they're generally regarded as the worst compared to other Alps switches. The best thing is that you can either click-mod them or linear-mod them, both of which make them better IMO. I made videos about both if you're interested ;) .

seebart

04 Aug 2016, 15:50

The Dell AT101 is a good cheap source for black Alps SKCM.

wiki/Dell_AT101

Jimi14

04 Aug 2016, 16:20

The primary reason i wanted this is to find an alternative to my blue alps board (my roomate has been complaining alot recently about The noice) and i dont like cherries, nor do i want linears.

You are saying though, that outside of modding, black is The only way for a PAL board?

seebart

04 Aug 2016, 17:25

Jimi14 wrote: The primary reason i wanted this is to find an alternative to my blue alps board (my roomate has been complaining alot recently about The noice) and i dont like cherries, nor do i want linears.
Yes blue Alps are quite noisy, your roommate has a point. ;)
Jimi14 wrote: You are saying though, that outside of modding, black is The only way for a PAL board?
Errr...no?!? You should be able to find an ISO keyboard with black Alps, not sure if you can get an PAL keyboard. :mrgreen:
pattern_palref.png
pattern_palref.png (21.28 KiB) Viewed 2521 times

seebart

04 Aug 2016, 17:36

Yes blue Alps are quite noisy, your roommate has a point. ;) Errr...no?!? You should be able to find an ISO keyboard with black Alps, not sure if you can get an PAL keyboard. :mrgreen:

This might be of interest to you, or it may not: ;)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tastatur-DELL-26 ... SwaB5XjQhE
Last edited by seebart on 04 Aug 2016, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

04 Aug 2016, 17:45

All of you seeing this funky page view? Houston, we have a (slight) problem. :o Webwit, go to yellow alert. :lol:
Spoiler:
Unbenannt2.JPG
Unbenannt2.JPG (62.38 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
It's getting better by the minute:
Unbenannt3.JPG
Unbenannt3.JPG (76.58 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
This is the Alps vortex. Everyone be very careful now. :lol:

scottc

04 Aug 2016, 17:53

seebart wrote: All of you seeing this funky page view? Houston, we have a (slight) problem. :o Webwit, go to yellow alert. :lol:
Spoiler:
Unbenannt2.JPG
It's getting better by the minute:
Unbenannt3.JPG
This is the Alps vortex. Everyone be very careful now. :lol:
OH NOOOOOOOOO

scottc

04 Aug 2016, 17:54

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 17.53.25.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 17.53.25.png (150.14 KiB) Viewed 2460 times

Jimi14

04 Aug 2016, 18:06

seebart wrote:
Jimi14 wrote: The primary reason i wanted this is to find an alternative to my blue alps board (my roomate has been complaining alot recently about The noice) and i dont like cherries, nor do i want linears.
Jimi14 wrote: You are saying though, that outside of modding, black is The only way for a PAL board?
Errr...no?!? You should be able to find an ISO keyboard with black Alps, not sure if you can get an PAL keyboard. :mrgreen:
pattern_palref.png
Oops, might have gotten my acronyms messed up. :? What i meant is a keyboard with 102 keys. (which is ISO right?)

Also, yea i can get a black easily, it was the other 3 i was curious about.

seebart

04 Aug 2016, 18:11

I know what you meant Jimi14, this thread of yours is being sucked in the Alps vortex. Don't worry about it that's just a DT internal joke.

chzel

04 Aug 2016, 18:20

This particular page is all over the place! Not getting any better either! Alps vortex indeed...
Last edited by chzel on 04 Aug 2016, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.

Chyros

04 Aug 2016, 18:53

seebart wrote:
Rubbish, the noise is glorious, he has no reason to complain! Punish him for his insolence! Image

y11971alex

04 Aug 2016, 19:07

seebart, you might want to move the end quote tag out of the spoiler field. This seems like a common syntax issue in most bboard sites.
Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote:
Rubbish, the noise is glorious, he has no reason to complain! Punish him for his insolence! Image
Blue Alps aren't noisy ;)

When I (attempt) to use it, there's peace and quiet in my house for days.

OleVoip

04 Aug 2016, 19:22

seebart wrote: All of you seeing this funky page view? Houston, we have a (slight) problem. :o Webwit, go to yellow alert. :lol:
You need to edit the posting before, seebart. Your [quotes] and [spoilers] don't pair.

Or leave it as it is for something different.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Aug 2016, 19:34

It's the old problem of trying to use regular expressions to handle a SGML.

seebart

04 Aug 2016, 19:51

Fixed! Indeed those pesky little tags, thanks for the tip OleVoip & webwit. Of course I now know how to reproduce this. :evilgeek:

chzel

04 Aug 2016, 20:00

Damn...such a small mistake fucks up the page! I reproduced it too. The knowledge shall be kept secret (although I guess it's common knowledge among you filthy software guys!)

Findecanor

04 Aug 2016, 20:19

If noise is the issue then Cream Alps might be the best.

Matias does make some keyboards with his Quiet Click switches (Alps Cream clones) in Nordic layout.

If you do get hold of a AEKII, then Hasu has written adapter firmware from ADB to USB as part of his tmk keyboard firmware suite. The vintage Apple keyboards to have locking Caps Lock switches that may need extra config or modding.
You could also transplant the sliders and/or tactile leaves to any other Alps board: Alps can be opened from the top without desoldering. (I have done that into a Dell AT101W)

Besides the AEKII I don't know of any other vintage keyboard with them either than the SGI bigfoot/"Granite" keyboards, but those are rare and especially in ISO and with PS/2 support.

Jimi14

04 Aug 2016, 20:43

Findecanor wrote:
If noise is the issue then Cream Alps might be the best.

Matias does make some keyboards with his Quiet Click switches (Alps Cream clones) in Nordic layout.

If you do get hold of a AEKII, then Hasu has written adapter firmware from ADB to USB as part of his tmk keyboard firmware suite. The vintage Apple keyboards to have locking Caps Lock switches that may need extra config or modding.
You could also transplant the sliders and/or tactile leaves to any other Alps board: Alps can be opened from the top without desoldering. (I have done that into a Dell AT101W)

Besides the AEKII I don't know of any other vintage keyboard with them either than the SGI bigfoot/"Granite" keyboards, but those are rare and especially in ISO and with PS/2 support.
Ok, thanks, think i´m going to try a black alps board after all or maybe try out one of those dampened cream/white ones if i can find one.

Return to “Keyboards”