GMK Interview is going to happen next month/collecting questions

Orson

21 Aug 2016, 19:41

Hello folks,

being German myself MassDrop has asked me to have an interview with GMK.

I'm going to ask for questions that people might have at the known places until the end of this month and then it should finally happen. The interview itself is going to be published at Massdrop some time later.

Questions that occured so far:

History and misc:
  • How the Cherry molds ended up in their hands?

Some highlights from previous custom jobs they did like the Skidata keyboards. Maybe something we're not aware of yet

How big is the staff involved in the mk division?

How many keycaps are produced during a month/year?
Uniqey mks:
  • Are we going to see more than fullsize, plans for tkl, 1800, 60%, 65%, maybe a modular mk someday, a numpad ...

What do they think about the Gateron "Hype"?

Any plans for plate mount QMX Clips? Maybe as a replacement switch top?

Plans for programability, at least dip switches for more freedom of users?
Keycaps:
  • Considerations regarding their MOQ and policy for creation of new molds?

Maybe getting a full list of all the molds they have.

Color formulation - Recent keycap releases and a few to be released have been noted to use a color reformulation. Can GMK talk to any of this? Specifically whether they are using a new formula or have plans to expand the color selection for custom keycaps?

Keycap profiles - Does GMK have plans for sculpted or other profiles like the popular SA? Could Topre profiles be in the future?

People that use Topre boards would like to know if they may offer support for Topre mounted key caps?

Double-shot and Pad Printing - Some clarity in why GMK chooses double shot or pad printing when running a production set would help new designers stepping in to create new cap designs. What key legends support both? What key legends require one vs the other?

Legend Modifiers - Some enthusiasts appreciate legends as their preference to text modifiers while some prefer novelty graphics. What influence will we have on GMK to make legend modifiers available in the future?

Quality Management - Some in the community have noted scratched key caps, light bleed, and legend rub out from pad printing as a few of the issues that come from key cap production. What influence has this feedback had in GMK's production runs? What are the critical quality checks GMK puts into the production process to manage against these issues?

Production Schedules - Some vendors provide a view into schedule for production which helps customers understand delivery schedules. Being able to see this information would significantly help group buys and drop participants to know when a order was received and when it is scheduled for production.

What is the general estimate for a MOQ set from manufacture to shipment for key caps from GMK? Would GMK offer a way for customers to see a schedule for key cap production runs?

How did the horrible Triumph Adler Massdrop clamshell debacle happen and what will they do to ensure it never happens again? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... _packaged/?

I'd like to know if they could ever make sets that are compatible with alps/mathias switches. Keycaps are the factor that is holding me back from getting a board with alps stem switches and I love me some thick, cherry profile keycaps.

PBT dyesubs.or doubleshots?

Ttriple shot feasibility for sets like upcoming Cyrillic?

Aftermarket possiblity, if they have any leftover keys, and or sets and how one would obtain them? (I know they have replaced defective keys on certain group buys, including hyperfuse, so I assume they make more than just the ordered amount)

Do you have plans to offer (some of) the Uniquey keycap options as readily available sets?

Are you working on other layouts (ISO-UK, US International, ...)? Mac legends?

Plans to define some golden standard sets: WOB, BOW, beige. These sets could be sold on their webshop, and replacements too.

When will they sell uniqey in uk layout, maybe in only a couple of available colours for the set.
If you have any other question, just let me know, i'm going to ask.

Ty for reading and have a nice day!
Last edited by Orson on 22 Aug 2016, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Aug 2016, 19:45

Awesome, really happy they picked you :)

But I have nothing else to add!

Orson

21 Aug 2016, 19:51

Ty mate :D

we'll see if the folks at the other places happen to come up with something.

Rimrul

21 Aug 2016, 21:21

That list seems good, but the question "uniqey" is fairly broad. Some questions I have about uniqey are:
  • What keyboard sizes apart from Fullsize do you plan to offer(TKL, 1800, ...)?
  • Do you have plans to offer (some of) the Uniquey keycap options as readily available sets?
  • Are you working on other layouts (ISO-UK, US International, ...)?
  • Mac legends?
  • Any plans for plate mount QMX Clips? Maybe as a replacement switch top?

Orson

21 Aug 2016, 21:52

I'm going to add your questions, i'll update the list once, maybe twice a day.
Most of the questions are from an older MD Thread and therefore a little bit outdated ;)
Uniqey didn't "exist" back than like today.

czarek

22 Aug 2016, 11:18

How about FN placement? Can we have it moved to where Menu key is, so we can have 2 ALTs and 2 WIN/CMD keys?

mick

08 Sep 2016, 12:53

Please ask them:
-why they dont sell directly on their websites.
-If they will make keycaps with Mac OS legends.
-That they should give some love to people with non ANSI keyboards (DE ISO user here).

Looking forward to reading this, as the other questions are cool too :-)

Geroximo

08 Sep 2016, 13:43

I'd like to know if they are planning to help out German customers in some way.
It's driving German keyboard enthusiasts crazy, that we have to pay international shipping twice + additional taxes for a product, which is actually made in our own country.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Sep 2016, 13:51

Geroximo wrote: I'd like to know if they are planning to help out German customers in some way.
It's driving German keyboard enthusiasts crazy, that we have to pay international shipping twice + additional taxes for a product, which is actually produced in our own country.
I can probably answer that question partially. The only drawback for German customers is the shipping - bulk shipping abroad and then individual shipping back to Germany.

The "taxes"/customs charges you pay as a German customer are actually LOWER than what GMK would have to charge if selling these items DIRECTLY within the EU. When shipping a bulk GB order to Malaysia, they don't need to collect the 19% MWSt because that is only required for business within the EU. When you pay customs/taxes for the items you receive from Malaysia then, they actually only apply 17.5% (afaik!) taxes/charges/customs.

Imagine the difficulties for them for handling domestic orders individually. Not only would they charge you for the extra handling of the domestic orders, they'd also have to create a separate invoice with the 19% MWSt. and the GB runner had to make sure you pay those 19% to GMK.

The only option I see here is a community driven solution where a German/EU proxy agrees to order and process the EU items while all other orders are processed by the original GB runner. This way GMK has two orders, two invoices and two bulk deliveries.

Return to “Keyboards”