Chinese USB Hall Effect Keyboard - Review and Impressions

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

11 Sep 2016, 17:55

XMIT wrote: One constraint: it looks like, at the moment, the ABS keyboard bodies are (a) only available in the 87-key form factor, and (b) only compatible with mini USB for detachable cables.

So, if I offer the 104-key or 61-key options, only the ABS and the acrylic body types will be available for now. Using glue we might be able to bond the two top layers together so that the screws are hidden.
This was a little confusing to me. Did you mean to say bamboo and acrylic in the second paragraph?

I'd be okay with acrylic, but I don't really want it to glow excessively with the LEDs activated. Is there an acrylic that's more opaque instead of translucent?

As for the bamboo, if that's the option I'd prefer the raw wood, so I could sand and varnish it myself.

Finally, I don't need a detachable cable, especially if mini USB is the only choice. Yuck.

zslane

11 Sep 2016, 18:01

I'm disappointed, naturally, but I understand.

I do, however, worry that this will wither and die in much the same way the NovaTouch did, being so dependent on the success of the TKL format to justify any further development. This vendor may have smaller thresholds for success than CM did, but they are also targetting a niche of a niche, and I'm unconvinced that hitching their wagon to the TKL horse will ultimately prove to be a winning move.

Only time will tell, I guess.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Sep 2016, 20:43

I mean, this is a really small vendor, and these switches are relatively new. Don't give up all hope yet.

So far the focus from their end have been the bamboo and acrylic body types. Those are available in a 104-key form factor today. If you think about it from a manufacturing perspective this makes sense: these materials are easy to source, easy to laser or CNC cut in a small volumes, and lend themselves nicely to customization. ABS requires a huge investment (cutting the mold).

Also, from their end, the glow through the acrylic body is a feature, a selling point. Perhaps our aesthetic preferences differ.

Yes, I meant "bamboo and acrylic" earlier, not "ABS and acrylic".

This manufacturer makes a bunch of different products including a different non-Hall effect switch based on the same switch sliders and housings. The Hall boards are their "high end" option.

One option - somewhat far fetched but easily doable - is to sell a "kit" containing just the PCB, a cable (or a connector), and all the switches, magnets, and springs. If you want to CNC your own aluminum body - or if I get around to designing and building them - they could easily go together. In fact, I may do exactly this for a later edition of the board. But CNC aluminum cases always command a high price. Would you pay $200+ for a bare bones version of this board with an aluminum body? Granted, it would be amazing.

Wilkie

11 Sep 2016, 21:01

Can they get ABS cases from a vendor already making them?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Sep 2016, 21:08

Wilkie wrote: Can they get ABS cases from a vendor already making them?
Perhaps, but, these switches use a different cutout pattern than Cherry or Alps or anything else so it is still a custom part. I've asked specifically about whether or not we can see an ABS case option for the other sizes in the future.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Sep 2016, 00:02

XMIT wrote: Also, from their end, the glow through the acrylic body is a feature, a selling point. Perhaps our aesthetic preferences differ.
Pretty sure that's the case here, no pun intended. My wife likes LEDs so she can see the legends in dim light, but I know she doesn't want her keyboard glowing and flashing like a toddler's toy. I touch type, so I have no need for LEDs at all, though I don't mind them if they can be switched off and remember that preference.

It has to be tough for a manufacturer. We enthusiasts have tremendous knowledge and know what we want, but we may not be where the "real" money is. I'm glad this is more of a boutique manufacturer, so they won't have to target the gamer market with a lot of gimmicks to try and sell huge volumes.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Sep 2016, 01:37

Many of my thoughts have been covered by other reviewers. It's time for me to chime in, though.

1) Once you replace the caps it looks 1,000,000 times better. That's OG Cherry, not HADapter. Pardon the phone photos.

2) The springs would benefit from a floss mod. They are quite pingy, likely due to thin metal used in wide spirals. Using thicker metal with fewer spirals might reduce the ping while keeping the lower 55g weight in reach.

3) Some of the sliders hang up slightly when pushed to the left or right while at the bottom of a keystroke.

4) The green LED for caps lock is tacky. Same goes for # lock.

5) The stabilizers aren't stable -- they popped out of the 'board when I swapped caps. It was a pain.

6) I like the CLACK. It sounds much more refined with Cherry doubleshots atop the switch stems.

Overall, I think this keyboard has a lot of potential. XMIT is working with the manufacturer to get a polished product on the market -- a worthwhile endeavor.

zslane

12 Sep 2016, 01:50

XMIT wrote: I mean, this is a really small vendor, and these switches are relatively new. Don't give up all hope yet.
I haven't lost all hope, but my expectations are, I think, realistically low.

My next thought was to propose trying to persuade a real keyboard integrator, like Varmilo, to source these switches and create a product line around them, but it then occurred to me that they probably wouldn't be interested given how heavily invested they are in MX switches.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Sep 2016, 02:15

Thanks ohaimark! I'm glad to see my key caps being put to a good use. :-D

The 50g springs are way more ping-y than the 70g springs. We'll see what we can do about that.

The stabilizer issue is something we're aware of and working to fix.

andrewjoy

12 Sep 2016, 13:04

XMIT wrote:
For detachable cables: we're exploring USB C as an option here.

Hell YEH!

Leave all the crap behind lets get on a modern connection.

Lets face it , all USB connections apart form full sized A B and C all suck arse, as do most modern connectors, don't even get me started on HDMI ( also known as the i am too cheap to use DVI-D connector), RCA being used over over vastly superior BNC and so on , ok i will stop now.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Sep 2016, 13:35

The manufacturer confirmed that the 87-key TKL mold is the only mold they have. Getting 61 or 104 key boards in ABS will require cutting a new mold, which is expensive. That certainly won't happen for this group buy, sorry.

Yes, other materials have their downsides, but a strong upside is that they are much more friendly to low production runs. If these boards are successful there is always a chance of ABS cases later. (Aluminum too.)

As mentioned earlier, mini USB or an attached cable are the only options offered on the ABS bodies due again to retooling costs. The other materials - bamboo and acrylic - can offer micro USB or USB C. There may be a minimum order for these options.

One exciting development is that they do plan to offer a numeric keypad in bamboo or acrylic.

Later this week I'm hoping to have enough information together to move forward with some sort of group buy. This takes time, there is a lot to get right!

andrewjoy

12 Sep 2016, 14:02

Bamboo , hall effect , barebones , USBC.

SOLD!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Sep 2016, 14:07

The only benefit in USB-C connectors is having a third cable laying around on my desk.

andrewjoy

12 Sep 2016, 14:08

And its you know harder to break that both micro and even mini.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Sep 2016, 14:13

Broke zero USB jacks/cables so far so that's just a hypothetical advantage for me.

Just saying ... unless you have a good reason to change to a different standard, the smart thing is keeping the current standard. USB-C is still a pretty niche and I don't feel like it had a big breakthrough yet.

citrojohn

12 Sep 2016, 14:21

Wodan wrote: ... unless you have a good reason to change to a different standard, the smart thing is keeping the current standard.
Very true, but none of the manufacturers seem to think that. Just try finding a keyboard with a full-size USB B socket, for example... ;)

davkol

12 Sep 2016, 15:10

XMIT wrote: One exciting development is that they do plan to offer a numeric keypad in bamboo or acrylic.
I don't need yet another tenkeyless or even full-size keyboard, but a keypad sounds very appealing, esp. if it's programmable (reflashable open-source firmware or something like Kinesis Advantage 2).

andrewjoy

12 Sep 2016, 17:07

citrojohn wrote:
Wodan wrote: ... unless you have a good reason to change to a different standard, the smart thing is keeping the current standard.
Very true, but none of the manufacturers seem to think that. Just try finding a keyboard with a full-size USB B socket, for example... ;)
I would take full sized b as well , micro and mini are shit sorry but i don't think i will ever stop having a go at them.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Sep 2016, 02:24

I was able to get my hands on a tung oil coated board as well. The smell is ... really quite strong. I won't offer this option unless someone goes out of their way to ask for it. Though, I am really curious to see how this dissipates over time.

I'm getting things together for a group buy. For now, to make things super simple, there will be one option, just one. It comes in any color you want, so long as it is black:

Body: Black ABS plastic
Key caps: PBT+POM double shot, black
Backlighting: Yes
Cable: Detachable, USB, using mini USB connection.
Stabilizers: Cherry MX mount
Weight: 50g

I know this isn't everyone's favorite choice but it is the least common denominator. Sticking with just one option really makes things quite a lot easier. If this group buy is a success maybe we'll open up choices later on.

So to those who don't like the lights: please turn them off. For those who don't like the key caps: please remove them using the enclosed key puller. For those who want heavier springs: perhaps I'll offer a spare set of springs if there is sufficient interest. For those who want 60% or full size boards: please wait for the next group buy.

If you multiply all of the available options there are well over 500 choices!

Manufacturing is all about compromise and growing sustainably. Again, if this round goes well, there will likely be another!

andrewjoy

15 Sep 2016, 11:40

Its a shame that there is no bamboo :(

I may still pick one up.

Nuum

15 Sep 2016, 11:55

How about ISO for the group buy?

andrewjoy

15 Sep 2016, 12:04

Also is there any chance we can convince them to make the font less shit.

citrojohn

15 Sep 2016, 13:32

andrewjoy wrote: Its a shame that there is no bamboo :(
Seconded. I guess it could be possible to get some sandwich pieces cut ourselves... if someone kind will provide dimensions, and instructions for removing the ABS case. :twisted:

Virtureal

15 Sep 2016, 13:41

I would have preferred 60%, but at the same time I don't want it if the firmware is not improved or fully programmable so I would still be in for a tenkeyless.
Is there a large difference in loudness between abs and bamboo cases?

JeroenR

15 Sep 2016, 15:59

XMIT wrote: I'm getting things together for a group buy. For now, to make things super simple, there will be one option, just one. It comes in any color you want, so long as it is black:

Body: Black ABS plastic
Key caps: PBT+POM double shot, black
Backlighting: Yes
Cable: Detachable, USB, using mini USB connection.
Stabilizers: Cherry MX mount
Weight: 50g

I know this isn't everyone's favorite choice but it is the least common denominator. Sticking with just one option really makes things quite a lot easier. If this group buy is a success maybe we'll open up choices later on.
Not perfect, but -depending on cost- the Hall effect switches make it sufficiently interesting.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Sep 2016, 18:23

I'm not quite going to be able to pull the trigger with this configuration, but I'll keep watching for further developments, especially in the tactile switch area.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Sep 2016, 18:39

andrewjoy wrote: Also is there any chance we can convince them to make the font less shit.
Almost certainly not, but, with Cherry stabilizers and pretty good key cap compatibility a swap will be pretty easy to do.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Sep 2016, 18:42

citrojohn wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: Its a shame that there is no bamboo :(
Seconded. I guess it could be possible to get some sandwich pieces cut ourselves... if someone kind will provide dimensions, and instructions for removing the ABS case. :twisted:
Sure. With time I hope to offer some DXF files or similar if you want to go cut your own plates. That would be straightforward to do. We're still working on some tweaks to the paths, though.

Taking the board apart is simple enough. Remove four screws in the back, then use a flat head screwdriver covered with a piece of tape (or a heavy nylon stick) to pry the two halves of the case apart. There are about ten little tabs that need to be opened. The photos in the original post show some of this and I can work to get better photos later. (I suggest lubricating the tabs to make further disassembly simpler.)

But, changing to another body also requires pulling all the key caps and switches and springs. Budget a couple of hours for this.

davkol

15 Sep 2016, 19:21

Hmm, I wonder… is the board/case compatible with Filco MJ? (Can it be used in a Filco/Vortex/… case or the other way around—say, Phantom in its case?)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Sep 2016, 20:03

davkol wrote: Hmm, I wonder… is the board/case compatible with Filco MJ? (Can it be used in a Filco/Vortex/… case or the other way around—say, Phantom in its case?)
I really doubt it, but, I can work on getting some better dimensions to help you decide.

Return to “Keyboards”