Keycaps for Novatouch?

the_marsbar

19 Sep 2016, 20:04

After reading that the Novatouch would be discontinued, I made a quick decision and bought one...

The thing is, I know nothing about Cherry MX keycaps. I own two other keyboard; a black HHKB Pro 2 with Hypersphere's silencing rings installed, and a Type-S. I really like the feel of the HHKB stock keycaps (I only have cheap rubber dome keyboards to compare to). I have a feeling I won't like the keycap set that comes with the Novatouch.

Any recommendations? I have read Muirium's review, and I really like the look of the DSA Dolch keyset, however, I realize that this will be difficult to find. I wouldn't mind blank keys. If the keys have legends, it would be nice with Mac-keys like cmd. I'm mostly interested in PBT caps.

Is the best bet to keep an eye on on Massdrop?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

19 Sep 2016, 20:08

Are you looking for danish keycap sets?

I'm afraid MechSupply just sold out the leftovers of their DSA Royal Navy ...

ANSI-US Keycap sets can be found from various sources, many even stock them. PimpMyKeyboard.com might have a few PBT keycap sets big enough for a TKL in stock!

the_marsbar

19 Sep 2016, 20:09

Sorry for not specifying. I'm mainly after ANSI-US keycap sets.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check them out.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

19 Sep 2016, 20:20

ANSI-US should be rather simple to find.

For the HHKB-lover:
https://www.originativeco.com/products/classic-black

the_marsbar

12 Nov 2016, 18:36

I just finished installing Hypersphere's dampening rings in my NovaTouch. Actually I now like the sound even with the stock ABS keycaps. It's really good.

I still haven't managed to find a decent PBT keyset... :(

zslane

12 Nov 2016, 18:47

What qualities make a PBT set "decent" for you?

the_marsbar

12 Nov 2016, 18:56

I'm actually not that picky. However, I've read that the NovaTouch works best with OEM profile keycaps. I'd also like thick keycaps like the ones Ducky used to sell (I've read good things about those). I was looking for set Ducky set (like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=1322), but it looks like it's not available anywhere.

I don't like keycaps which are front-printed or engraved.

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Nov 2016, 19:05

While laser-etched and not OEM height, these are not half bad (nice colors and legends, thick PBT Cherry profile) for their price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leopold-PBT-Key ... 2072639210

the_marsbar

12 Nov 2016, 19:08

Thanks for the link. Those are dye-sublimated - I would like that.

However, I've heard that Cherry profile keycaps might not be a good match for the NovaTouch. It's not specifically stated that the keyset is Cherry profile. Can anyone confirm?

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Nov 2016, 19:12

I have a set like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PBT-Keycap-Set- ... 1963267732 (but top printed, not front), which is also made by Leopold, and I believe they are the same profile (Ivan Ivanovich said in a GH thread that they are almost Cherry profile, enough not to be visible if you mix and match). I used the set on my Novatouch without problems.

Scarpia

12 Nov 2016, 19:22

I have that Dolch DSA set on my TKL. In fact, with the Dolch set, my RK RC930 Topre-clone looks exactly like Muiriums NovaTouch :D

But as you may know, that set isn't PBT. It's doubleshot ABS, so it may not be what you're looking for.

zslane

12 Nov 2016, 19:32

I have Dolch DSA on my NovaTouch too. It's a lovely combo, though I would like Dolch SA even better (if it existed).

I suspect, however, that the_marsbar doesn't like spherical keycaps and is really searching for cylindrical, mega-thick PBT with a soft, non-glossy texture. I don't think anything from SP would be acceptable to him, to be honest.

the_marsbar

12 Nov 2016, 19:39

I have to admit I've never tried typing high-quality ABS keycaps. I thought I'd go with what I know I like (Topre PBT) at first, then maybe I can try another profile/material later on. Does that sound all whacky?

davkol

12 Nov 2016, 19:58

Vortex PBT doubleshots are very thick OEM profile at reasonable price, and they're doubleshot with a reasonable font. Why not those?

zslane

12 Nov 2016, 20:30

davkol wrote: Vortex PBT doubleshots are very thick OEM profile at reasonable price, and they're doubleshot with a reasonable font. Why not those?
Sounds like we have a winner.

If you want something with a little color and would be willing to try dyesub PBT sphericals, I might suggest SA "Industrial".

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Nov 2016, 21:15

zslane wrote: If you want something with a little color and would be willing to try dyesub PBT sphericals, I might suggest SA "Industrial".
It's a pity that's row-3 only ...

the_marsbar

12 Nov 2016, 21:57

davkol wrote: Vortex PBT doubleshots are very thick OEM profile at reasonable price, and they're doubleshot with a reasonable font. Why not those?
Those are probably fine too. At mechanicalkeyboards.com?

davkol

12 Nov 2016, 22:25

mechanicalkeyboards.com used to have ridiculous shipping to Europe, not sure about the current situation. I see a backlight-compatible version of those caps for about $40 (shipped from Thailand) on eBay (just search for "vortex pbt" from international sellers), though. It has worse contrast than the version with non-translucent legends, but the same quality otherwise.

the_marsbar

12 Nov 2016, 22:27

Thanks. Expensive shipping to Europe is an issue (as well as VAT, import tax, etc.). I'll check those backlight-compatible caps out, and start looking out for some of the other caps mentioned on mechmarket. It seems like the market there is quite busy.

Topre Enthusiast

13 Nov 2016, 01:13

Geekkeys have a very nice thick dye-sub set which I recently put on my NovaTouch. Shipping was cheap but it took quite a while to arrive -- worth the wait though. The only issue is there is no 1.25 'Fn' key, so you can see I just used the 'Menu' key. The other thing is, you need to trim off the additional stems on the spacebar because they block the stabilisers from seating properly. I actually used a large pair of nail-clippers (like these) to do this. Remove the pin that holds the lever on, so the clippers open up wide enough to get around the stem, then use a pair of pliers to clamp them shut -- perfect clean cut and it took less than 2 minutes :)

scottc

13 Nov 2016, 01:16

Nice one OO2, looks pretty classy. That's a great price for the caps too. I'm using DSA granite on my Novatouch right now but Cherry profile PBT would be nice too.

Laser
emacs -nw

13 Nov 2016, 12:39

I think I recently saw a "for sale" thread that has a Vortex PBT set in this very forum. IMHO, the font is not the best, and, if thickness is a desired quality, I'd search for relevant pictures for any considered keyset before buying (because one thing I know, those Leopold keys I previously mentioned are thick) :) OTOH, the Vortex keyset price is hard to beat ...

Laser
emacs -nw

14 Nov 2016, 12:27

zslane wrote:
davkol wrote: If you want something with a little color and would be willing to try dyesub PBT sphericals, I might suggest SA "Industrial".
Taking this up again - @zslane, how do you find the PBT sphericals? Especially "typing-wise", so to speak.

zslane

14 Nov 2016, 19:11

They look and feel identical to SA keysets in double-shot ABS, at least to me. I seriously can't feel any difference, apart from the lack of sculptured row profiles.

One interesting characteristic of the PBT keycaps is that SP put in a kind of "thickening" layer inside them, ostensibly to account for the lack of the extra plastic you get from a double-shot. This makes them pretty much equivalent to their traditional double-shot SA keycaps in terms of thickness and weight.

infodroid

14 Nov 2016, 20:38

I thought you might like to know about this site:
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/keycaps_2/

They are selling pre-orders for ISO Vortex PBT doubleshots. No ANSI sets yet.

I don't know much about the site. But they are in based in Europe. They need to advertise more.

Laser
emacs -nw

14 Nov 2016, 22:03

zslane wrote: They look and feel identical to SA keysets in double-shot ABS, at least to me. I seriously can't feel any difference, apart from the lack of sculptured row profiles.

One interesting characteristic of the PBT keycaps is that SP put in a kind of "thickening" layer inside them, ostensibly to account for the lack of the extra plastic you get from a double-shot. This makes them pretty much equivalent to their traditional double-shot SA keycaps in terms of thickness and weight.
Thanks! I'm kinda tempted ... although with shipping and VAT (I know SA prices are high anyway) ... so I still don't know if isn't better to wait for a customizable SA (ABS) set due to drop at massdrop, (long term, there's also 7bit's group buy and Matt3o's PBT sphericals project). But - thanks again for the info, it gives me something to put in the balance on this side :)

zslane

14 Nov 2016, 22:12

Laser wrote: ... so I still don't know if isn't better to wait for a customizable SA (ABS) set due to drop at massdrop...
I neglected to mention that Industrial SA does not have any ISO support. There are only two kits available: an ANSI TKL kit and an ANSI numpad kit.

As for fully sculptured SA keysets coming out soon, SA Dasher/Dancer will hit MassDrop next month, though its ISO support is limited to an ISO UK kit.

Laser
emacs -nw

14 Nov 2016, 22:30

zslane wrote:
Laser wrote: ... so I still don't know if isn't better to wait for a customizable SA (ABS) set due to drop at massdrop...
I neglected to mention that Industrial SA does not have any ISO support. There are only two kits available: an ANSI TKL kit and an ANSI numpad kit.

As for fully sculptured SA keysets coming out soon, SA Dasher/Dancer will hit MassDrop next month, though its ISO support is limited to an ISO UK kit.
I'm just browsing through your Dasher/Dancer thread! Also, I intend to use the SA set on either an ANSI Novatouch, or (and after Topre->MX stems arrive) on a HHKB, so these are the layouts to cover - easy in the 1st case, not impossible in the 2nd :)

NecromanX

15 Nov 2016, 11:45

infodroid wrote: I thought you might like to know about this site:
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/keycaps_2/

They are selling pre-orders for ISO Vortex PBT doubleshots. No ANSI sets yet.

I don't know much about the site. But they are in based in Europe. They need to advertise more.
Hi. I am the owner of https://mykeyboard.eu.
What kind of advertisement would you suggest? :-)
I will be adding ANSI keycaps this week. VORTEX PBT+POM ANSI sets in Black or in White.

infodroid

15 Nov 2016, 12:45

NecromanX wrote: Hi. I am the owner of https://mykeyboard.eu.
What kind of advertisement would you suggest? :-)
I will be adding ANSI keycaps this week. VORTEX PBT+POM ANSI sets in Black or in White.
Welcome to Deskthority! Making an announcement on the vendor board is probably a good start.

Return to “Keyboards”