Secret Santa 2016! Pairings sent! Shipping early November, e.g. NOW!

Ratfink

23 Dec 2016, 22:30

Thisishowilurk wrote: My gift arrived quite early and since people at my work are used to opening my packages... someone opened it quite early too.

But I did resist really looking for quite a while!

Box came with a cool stencil

Whati s this, a stealthy Belkin?

Ctrl key shortcuts are pretty important to me

Now this is an interesting keyboard!

The Alps SKCM Black switches feel pretty awesome. I always felt alps / matias had really great tactility. They are pretty awesome switches.

Thank you so much Santa for this gift. This is actually my first "older" keyboard. Going to clean this baby up and start using it!
You're certainly welcome; I'm glad you like it! I did clean the caps and case before sending it, but I'll admit the plate is a bit rusty and the caps are shined. The inner box was what the board came to me in, and I thought it had enough comedic value to pass it on to you.

And by the way, that DT logo on the box was just sloppily hand-drawn with a Sharpie. :)

Thumper
knock knock

23 Dec 2016, 22:40

While it arrived more than a month ago, i just opened it.

A wonderful WASD 87 v2 with blanks (MX-Brown - same switch as my second mech ever. It's pretty nice, although it needs lube), a nice christmas card (looks like Topre Cows) and one of those fancy DT stickers (still unsure if i should stick it on my car or not).

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Dec 2016, 23:11

A Secret Santa who lives (relatively) near me
Sent a mysterious package to the land of Shining Seas
It arrived quite early; I had to wait to see
What it held for a month, thought it felt like three.

What, I wondered, could it be?

By jove, a Model F AT!

Thank you, Santa! Now I'll have an OG F in addition to all the new Model Fs that are inbound. :D

Halvar

23 Dec 2016, 23:21

My big Secret Santa parcel came from France and had way too much amazing stuff in it for one christmas. Huge thanks to vsev, this really blew me away! :)
Card
Card
Santa01.jpg (460.15 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Upper Layer!
Upper Layer!
Santa02.jpg (463.43 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Wait, that's my avatar! And a whole set of Model M caps!
Wait, that's my avatar! And a whole set of Model M caps!
Santa03.jpg (401.13 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Hard case, soft core, just like me :) And Shakespeare!
Hard case, soft core, just like me :) And Shakespeare!
Santa04.jpg (458.53 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Oh, I hoped for some French food when I saw the parcel. This does not disappoint!
Oh, I hoped for some French food when I saw the parcel. This does not disappoint!
Santa05.jpg (405.76 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
You cannot make a revolution with standard caps!
You cannot make a revolution with standard caps!
Santa06.jpg (320.68 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Layer 2
Layer 2
Santa07.jpg (458.81 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Nav and RGB caps
Nav and RGB caps
Santa08.jpg (377.54 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
All kinds of orange ... What is the sense of these? Clearly "Build a Game pad"!
All kinds of orange ... What is the sense of these? Clearly "Build a Game pad"!
Santa09.jpg (393.9 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Wait, what's this?
Wait, what's this?
Santa10.jpg (357.33 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
How can you possibly know me that well? That's not even possible!
How can you possibly know me that well? That's not even possible!
Santa11.jpg (414.42 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
"BUILD A GAME PAD!" MX brown, too. One of the best gamer switches.
"BUILD A GAME PAD!" MX brown, too. One of the best gamer switches.
Santa12.jpg (417.58 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
OK, wait, this is becoming way too much now...
OK, wait, this is becoming way too much now...
Santa13.jpg (330.65 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
A NIB number pad with MX Black and super-thick caps. THANKS again vsev!
A NIB number pad with MX Black and super-thick caps. THANKS again vsev!
Santa15.jpg (389.87 KiB) Viewed 4946 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

23 Dec 2016, 23:23

ohaimark, you've been very good indeed. What a gift! Also your Secret Santa puts my packing to shame. :lol:

Speaking of that naughty list - in a few says some folks might find themselves on it if they don't post photos! Some people may want to wait for the 25th and that's fine I guess.

alh84001
v.001

24 Dec 2016, 00:08

OK, the time has finally come!

Box is kinda small, less wide than an SSK, and light, too. So I guess no KB for me :(

Shows, what I know! :oops: :lol: My first 75%, and Alps at that :o

NIB SKCM White clicky goodness :!: So fresh and so clean :!: And all adapters included, so it's ready out of the box, too :!:

Typing on it right now :P

Thank you my Secret Santa. It's indeed a White Festivus ;)

P.S. Sweets will remain unopened until Christmas Day

HzFaq

24 Dec 2016, 00:18

Here's mine, no idea who it is other than a fellow Brit. Thanks though, very much apreciated. I'll get the blacks cleaned up and used for whatever my next projecte turns out to be...I'm a big fan of the biscuits as well (I've got a massive box at work for elevensises), had one with the cup of tea you can see in some of the shots. I also transcribed the note as it was pretty funny and I wasn't sure if it would show up from the pictures. The mouse will come to work with me for when I want to use a real mouse instead of my trackball.

Spoiler:
Greetings from Neptune, home of Robot Santa.

You have all been very naughty! Very naughty indeed! Except you, HzFaq. This is all for you.

Robot Santa encourages you to be good next year or I'm gonna shove coal so far up your stocking you'll be coughing up
diamonds.

Robot Santa reminds you that the little black switch things are old and could be considered...."vintage" so look after
them, you should clean them too, or Santa will get you!

Robot Santa also reminds you that the prehistoric pointing device you puny humans use to interact with your primitive
binary computers has protective plastic on the feet and they should be removed before use.

ps
In conclusion, vintage blacks on a wyse 50 PCB, they are vintage but dirty and will need to be de-soldered, disassembled
and cleaned.

Mouse is a decent good value high DPI mouse, use the drivers from the CD not from the website as the ones on the website
don't work. Remove the plastic feet or it will drag.

Few random caps that could come in useful out of my MX "that could be handy one day" box. They are double shot, not bad.

Few of my favourite dunking in tea biscuits for you to have with your morning xmas cup of tea.
In summary, Secret (Robot) Santa did good, I'm happy :).

lot_lizard

24 Dec 2016, 00:26

This thread has been making me happy all day :). So fun to see what everyone did for each other. Just wanted to thank XMIT for orchestrating

gcardinal

24 Dec 2016, 11:25

Big secret box from Germany!
Big secret box from Germany!
IMG_0241.jpg (465.99 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Such a wonderful letter - I'm just speechless!
Such a wonderful letter - I'm just speechless!
IMG_0248.jpg (388.58 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
PS: PING is indeed mighty!
Spekulatius! (english: Speculaas)
Spekulatius! (english: Speculaas)
IMG_0250.jpg (540.26 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Apple M0110 !!! !!! !!!
Apple M0110 !!! !!! !!!
IMG_0252.jpg (478.46 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Nürnberger Lebkuchen are so delicious!
Nürnberger Lebkuchen are so delicious!
IMG_0253.jpg (590.65 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Tea time <3
Tea time <3
IMG_0271.jpg (552.43 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
ALPS SKCC
ALPS SKCC
IMG_0265.jpg (436.18 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Apple
Apple
IMG_0273.jpg (532.56 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
The board
The board
IMG_0275.jpg (491.79 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Secret Santa, thank you so much! This is an trully amazing gift in a best Christmas spirit!
This is my first compact board without arrow keys and Im so exited that it is the original M0110. Will get to ordering / making adapter right away! I will be getting new macbook pro on my new job where I begin 1. of february - I think it will be quite a combination! Patina / aging is so even it looks sharp in a real life and suits the board really well.

Also a specially note for the sweets - they are amazing! It is quite an experience to wake up to a nice cup of tea, with Lebkuchen and such an exiting gift! Thank you!

PS: I dint send any sweets my self, as I was afraid package will be stopped by the customs - but looks like there is no reason to worry about that.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

24 Dec 2016, 18:33

The calendar I got:

http://m.imgur.com/a/sjdaI

Nuum

24 Dec 2016, 19:56

Can't post pictures right now, but my gift arrived safe and sound as well. I actually opened it a few days ago, since I couldn't take it with me to my family, hence also no pictures for now. Mine contained a XMIT Hall Effect board which gives you an indication from whom it is. Also in there was a very nice note written on a typewriter and some awesome sweets and beef jerky from Texas.

Thank you very much, XMIT, it was a wonderful Christmas present! I'll try to post pictures and further feedback on the board ASAP.

alh84001
v.001

24 Dec 2016, 20:08

Nuum wrote: Mine contained a XMIT Hall Effect board which gives you an indication from whom it is.
Unless they just wanted you to think that :lol:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Dec 2016, 20:50

alh84001 wrote:
Nuum wrote: Mine contained a XMIT Hall Effect board which gives you an indication from whom it is.
Unless they just wanted you to think that :lol:
SantaMIT works in strange ways. Strange, but also extremely straightforward.

Glad it arrived safely! Looking forward to seeing some photos! :D

Alkhar

24 Dec 2016, 23:47

Hello, we just finished openning our present here, thank you secret santa, here a few picture of what was in the package :

Last edited by Alkhar on 29 Dec 2016, 13:53, edited 4 times in total.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Dec 2016, 03:24

Such exciting gifts! I'm looking forward to seeing photos from the remaining six recipients! :D

chzel

25 Dec 2016, 21:25

Quick photo from me, a lovely KPT84 with korean(?) sublegends and mighty clickyness!
There were a few sweets included, which were promptly eaten and much appreciated!
D72_5522.jpg
D72_5522.jpg (623.95 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
Better pics to follow!
Thank you Santa!! :mrgreen:

alh84001
v.001

26 Dec 2016, 00:04

Alkhar wrote: Din - Ps/2 - something else commutator box
That's ADB (white connector on top).

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

26 Dec 2016, 10:34

Alkhar wrote:
In the box was :

Leftover stickers
Leftover switch stickers
Leftover led
A pen
5 dental tab
Test pcb plate
2 Logitech 3 buttons mouse with 9 pin connectors
Din - Ps/2 adaptator
Din - Ps/2 - something else commutator box
A few Din cord
A few Ps/2 cord
A packet of sweets
Leftover keycaps (1 BS spacebar 1 Cherry 6u ? few leftover keycaps from a triumph or Gabrielle ?)
Something like 20 Green Alps switch, maybe i can make a numpad out of them, half of them have broken or bend feet

Merry Christmas
Hi Alkhar I think I have to apologize. I know my presents was a bit bad. After seeing what others got (+ myself, thanks santa) I am a bit ashamed about what I have gifted to you. I was current packaging a bit grogy because my reddit secret santa (r/mk) scammed me and said he had no money to buy me something to christmas, also last year I got a keyboard where I posted the link self in the great interest thread (which was won in a auction for 1€, maybe I am wrong but I think it was), but thats of course no excuse. I wanted send you first a bag of green gaterons and some of the keycaps I got at the mechameetup and some orings, but that I got you as giftie was a bit unexpected (because I know you don't like greens and have already the metioned keycaps and use orings on your keyboard).
No longer drama, I will send you second package.
PS: you dont mentioned the modified pro micro in the package, I hope you did not throwed it away, because he was packed in the bubble wrap.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

26 Dec 2016, 13:16

I'm not sure a response from the organizer is warranted here but I'll chime in:

Alkhar did reach out to me saying what he received in his package, right around the time of his post above. He never said he was unhappy but perhaps implied that he was disappointed. I'm not sure.

As the organizer I try to make sure that everyone will in fact send out a package, and that everyone will receive something. That's about it, and, I've done so to the best of my ability (from a keyboard in Texas). A lot of people send and receive full sized keyboards over international borders but that is by no means mandatory. If you sent one you are generous; if you received one be grateful.

The best way to prevent any unhappiness is to over-communicate. If you're not sure what to give or what to send - ping the organizer. I know folks pretty well from reading the forums too much. Also, perhaps next year I will leave more time for finding and sending gifts. Nearly everyone received gifts a month early this time.

Alkhar, I saw a Code key and a multi-input converter in there, those are pretty neat!

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

26 Dec 2016, 16:28

XMIT wrote: I'm not sure a response from the organizer is warranted here but I'll chime in:

Alkhar did reach out to me saying what he received in his package, right around the time of his post above. He never said he was unhappy but perhaps implied that he was disappointed. I'm not sure.

As the organizer I try to make sure that everyone will in fact send out a package, and that everyone will receive something. That's about it, and, I've done so to the best of my ability (from a keyboard in Texas). A lot of people send and receive full sized keyboards over international borders but that is by no means mandatory. If you sent one you are generous; if you received one be grateful.

The best way to prevent any unhappiness is to over-communicate. If you're not sure what to give or what to send - ping the organizer. I know folks pretty well from reading the forums too much. Also, perhaps next year I will leave more time for finding and sending gifts. Nearly everyone received gifts a month early this time.

Alkhar, I saw a Code key and a multi-input converter in there, those are pretty neat!
I got already a PM from him, so I think anything is ok, yeah next time I PM directly him.

Thisishowilurk

26 Dec 2016, 20:27

Ratfink wrote:
You're certainly welcome; I'm glad you like it! I did clean the caps and case before sending it, but I'll admit the plate is a bit rusty and the caps are shined. The inner box was what the board came to me in, and I thought it had enough comedic value to pass it on to you.

And by the way, that DT logo on the box was just sloppily hand-drawn with a Sharpie. :)
Ah dude, I meant the spots of rust! The keycaps and keyboard is super clean.

I seriously thought the box was a stencil - it's well done. I'm gonna cut it off the box and keep it too.

Thank you again for the awesome keyboard.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Dec 2016, 11:26

Sorry for being so late! I opened my present and took the pics on the 26th but haven't shared them yet!

First, I realized that my own shipment was massively underdressed! The one I got was really beautifully wrapped:
With a handwritten letter that could pass as a piece of art: (the good kind of art, not that abstract stuff ...)
Inside the wrapping, there was another very cute box:
Inside the box I found this Acer 6083 compact keyboard with Alps low profile switches! Very neat and unique board, truely something that was still missing in my collection. And in great condition too:
Obligatory closeup of the switch and keycap:
And a sweet little money shot for the full glory of this amazing Secret Santa present:

Thanks very much Secret Santa for this great present and all the effort you put into the packaging and the letter. Really heartwarming :)

Scarpia

28 Dec 2016, 20:35

Glad you liked it @Wodan -- this year's Secret Santa present became a bit of a family project: that lovely handwriting is the work of my better half, and the cutesy heart sticker on the front is the work of her six year old daughter :)

chuckdee

29 Dec 2016, 06:06

XMIT wrote: I'm not sure a response from the organizer is warranted here but I'll chime in:

It's inevitable that some that participate will not get in the spirit of it, and will ruin it for others... perhaps for years to come. I find it's easier to get past that bit by getting into it to give, not to receive. That way, what you receive will be bonus, no matter what it is (even nothing), as you will have received what you expected from the gifting.

At least, that's how I approach it.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Dec 2016, 13:48

Time to post photos if you have not already! I'll start sending PMs today to anyone who has not shared their gifts!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Dec 2016, 14:10

chuckdee wrote: It's inevitable that some that participate will not get in the spirit of it, and will ruin it for others... perhaps for years to come. I find it's easier to get past that bit by getting into it to give, not to receive. That way, what you receive will be bonus, no matter what it is (even nothing), as you will have received what you expected from the gifting.

At least, that's how I approach it.
We had a few newcomers to Secret Santa this year. If I organize this again perhaps I can do a better job of managing expectations early on! Indeed, Secret Santa is more about what you give than what you receive. Indeed, since your outbound gift is the item over which you have the most control, best to focus one's efforts there.

It is natural to feel disappointed if you believe that you gave more than you received! Something that helps me here is to focus on how your gift will delight the recipient.

All things considered this was a very successful Secret Santa year, I'm glad we did this! I'm still excited to see the remaining gifts posted here. 8-)

Nuum

30 Dec 2016, 13:06

I took a few quick-and-dirty photos of my Secret Santa present, so here we go:
First an overview about the content: An early sample of XMIT's Hall Effect keyboards, some sweets, beef jerky and some Mexican candies, all of which I have yet to try
DSCN4212 900kb.jpg
DSCN4212 900kb.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 4318 times
A closeup of the keyboard, as soon as I have the time to use it further I will post more thoughts about it. I'll probably put my HADapter kit on it with some nice Cherry doubleshots which I have yet to source.
DSCN4217 900kb.jpg
DSCN4217 900kb.jpg (889.01 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
The sweets
DSCN4213 900kb.jpg
DSCN4213 900kb.jpg (897.23 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
DSCN4215 900kb.jpg
DSCN4215 900kb.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 4318 times
The mexican candies
DSCN4216 900kb.jpg
DSCN4216 900kb.jpg (899.57 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
The beef jerky
DSCN4214 900kb.jpg
DSCN4214 900kb.jpg (889.88 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
Thank you very much again, XMIT!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

30 Dec 2016, 13:26

Scarpia wrote: Glad you liked it @Wodan -- this year's Secret Santa present became a bit of a family project: that lovely handwriting is the work of my better half, and the cutesy heart sticker on the front is the work of her six year old daughter :)
Oh damn sorry I only just realized it was you all the time :)
Thanks so much, your better half really did an incredible job on the letter.
I'll do a USB conversion on the lil' Alpsy soon .. hopefully soon hehehe

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Jan 2017, 16:59

kbdfr wrote: My Secret Santa beautifully fulfilled his (admittedly difficult) task :lol:
Thanks a lot!

[…]

See the whole story here:

http://i.imgur.com/N5IfD4a.jpg
Now that's a nice surprise!
Amidst all these sweets contained in the box with the splendid numeric keypad my Santa sent,
I just found a tiny little bag containing these three doubleshot keycaps:
Santa - delayed discovery ,-).JPG
Santa - delayed discovery ,-).JPG (516.08 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Thanks again, Santa! :mrgreen:

scottc

05 Jan 2017, 17:03

Very nice indeed! Lucky you didn't accidentally take a bite of one of those!

Return to “Keyboards”