Secret Santa 2016! Pairings sent! Shipping early November, e.g. NOW!

Alkhar

31 Oct 2016, 21:43

Well seems that with the national holiday we are going to have the pairing wednesday.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

31 Oct 2016, 21:56

Maybe not packing, but certainly early enough to start thinking about how you're going to get this shipped within about a week of getting your pairing!

chuckdee

31 Oct 2016, 23:05

Hmmm... maybe I've been looking at this wrong, but I'd planned to see the pairing, see what they put down, then try to figure out what to get them- something personalized rather than generic. Is that not the way that this one is supposed to go?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

01 Nov 2016, 04:05

chuckdee wrote: Hmmm... maybe I've been looking at this wrong, but I'd planned to see the pairing, see what they put down, then try to figure out what to get them- something personalized rather than generic. Is that not the way that this one is supposed to go?
This can work. This is ideal, in fact. But finding something, receiving it, and sending it back out can each take a week. If this is what you want to do, and are worried that you might not make a deadline as a result, it's probably fine, but best to check with me first!

I'll start working on the pairings soon. All but one person responded to yesterday's ping so far.

shrubbry

02 Nov 2016, 01:53

Too late to sign up?

Unfortunately, last year I had two problems: (a) I was an idiot and weighed my (international) package wrong, so it was returned to me (though fortunately I scored a last-minute save when a mechmarket post showed up local to my giftee!) - and (b) I never received anything! Didn't make a fuss, since 'tis better to give, etc., but wouldn't mind receiving this year... :p

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Nov 2016, 02:14

Yes, sorry, too late to sign up.

Also - unless they speak up soon (meaning in like two hours) I'm removing vsev from the rotation. They've failed to respond to two PMs at this point. I was pretty clear about the consequences of not responding.

vsev: if you want out, or can't participate, please PM me. The consequence is the same, but sending me a PM is the difference between being in good standing and not!

shrubbry

02 Nov 2016, 03:05

How about I just take vsev's place? :)

//edit: Also - and not that I have any standing to complain - but if gift partners are 1:1, doesn't that remove the "secret" part of Secret Santa?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Nov 2016, 04:01

Gift partners are not 1:1.

I don't like making exceptions but (a) you are a club member and (b) you did beg like I said. So, go find the (now closed) sign up form and send me a PM with all the information on there. I'll see if I can work you into the rotation.

I know I told participants that the pairings would go out soon. This is still true. I'm also trying to get the Hall effect group buy started, and, it's still 1.5 months to Festivus. Starting early is good but being a day or two late isn't a big deal. Yet.

vsev

02 Nov 2016, 07:35

Hi there, sorry for being a bit late on 72h delay response, wasn't home and not online so on.. just did and hope that's fine !
I'm ready for the event also to ship something within next week if needed.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Nov 2016, 15:44

vsev is spared flaming! Sorry kbdfr, I know you were looking forward to expressing some vitriol. You may have your chance yet. :roll:

shrubbry is in (pending a response to my last PM). But, now, Secret Santa signups are really and truly closed. No taking someone else's spot. You can drop out, but, we'll heckle you a little bit if you do (and really flame you if you do so without response).

I'm working on the pairings soon. You'll get your partner's username, contact info, and their answers to my silly questions. It is up to you to forum-stalk them and figure out what they might want!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Nov 2016, 16:23

XMIT wrote: vsev is spared flaming! Sorry kbdfr, I know you were looking forward to expressing some vitriol. You may have your chance yet. :roll:
No worries XMIT, flaming is fun of course, but Secret Santa is even more fun :lol:

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

02 Nov 2016, 18:07

Fuck! how did I miss this?! I guess I was expecting to have this in DT Talk or Offtopic. Damn, and this year I had some stuff ready for this :(
Have fun guys !

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Nov 2016, 18:37

Sorry DanielT. :cry:

If there are many folks in the same situation speak up, maybe I'll run another later round. I'm not planning to do that at the moment.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

02 Nov 2016, 19:09

No problem, I wasn't very active lately so there's no wonder I missed this.

Wingpad

02 Nov 2016, 23:38

DanielT wrote: No problem, I wasn't very active lately so there's no wonder I missed this.
Yeah I'm in the same boat here, haha. I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to pop in here all that often :lol:

Deadlines! Deadlines! Oh the deadlines!

mecano

03 Nov 2016, 11:47

Don't you love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Nov 2016, 15:23

Secret Santa pairings are almost done!

Don't forget, these are binding, so no whining!

I balanced quite a lot of factors and constraints in determining these pairings. They are decidedly not random.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

04 Nov 2016, 15:29

Cant wait! Hopefully whoever I'm paired with doesn't already have my gift -_-

alh84001
v.001

04 Nov 2016, 15:30

Oh yeah, it's happening! BTW should we wait until Christmas (or Festivus) to open them up? :)

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

04 Nov 2016, 15:33

alh84001 wrote: Oh yeah, it's happening! BTW should we wait until Christmas (or Festivus) to open them up? :)
I think that was the plan, it'll be hard to wait though!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Nov 2016, 15:53

You must wait until Festivus to post photos.

I can't control when you open the packages. I'll know that things have been delivered (since you'll all ship tracked and send me your tracking numbers) but nothing more. I plan on waiting. You can open yours, but you have to keep it secret until Festivus.

One reason for this is that, sometimes, Customs can make you open the package, ruining the surprise.

By "Festivus" I mean 2016-12-23, 00:00 (or 12:00am) local time, with respect to the mailing address. So, yes, folks in Eastern Europe will be able to post before folks in California. And, if you're from California but happen to be visiting Europe with your package - you still need to wait until Festivus, California time!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Nov 2016, 16:15

XMIT wrote: And, if you're from California but happen to be visiting Europe with your package - you still need to wait until Festivus, California time!
:lol:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Nov 2016, 18:55

The Secret Santa pairings have been sent!

:o :D :lol: 8-) :roll: :? Image

You've got two weeks to ship your packages! Also, you should respond to the PMs I sent as soon as possible.

Ho ho ho!

andrewjoy

04 Nov 2016, 19:22

XMIT wrote: The Secret Santa pairings have been sent!

:o :D :lol: 8-) :roll: :? Image

You've got two weeks to ship your packages! Also, you should respond to the PMs I sent as soon as possible.

Ho ho ho!

2 weeks !

Well thats my present ruined then

I was going to get my one a stripper for Christmas day but she wont survive inside a package for that long

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Nov 2016, 19:56

andrewjoy wrote: 2 weeks !

Well thats my present ruined then

I was going to get my one a stripper for Christmas day but she wont survive inside a package for that long
I think that should be fine.

Wire Strippers

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 Nov 2016, 18:52

Nuum brought up the very good point that the time frame in which I require participants to send photos - being Dec 23 through 26 - can be difficult due to family commitments.

So I propose this: any time after receiving your gift, you can send me a PM with photos and a description of your Secret Santa item, and I can post it for you in this time frame!

Nuum

05 Nov 2016, 21:32

Thanks for acknowledging that problem. However, I think your solution would kinda defeat the Santa part in Secret Santa, since you should open the gift at or after Christmas Eve.
Why not just leave the timeframe open a bit longer? Maybe until the 6th of January, on which Holiday Season ends in most of Germany. ;)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 Nov 2016, 23:01

I mean, opening gifts on Dec 23rd already defeats the point of celebrating any holiday other than Festivus.

In your case, you let me know there could be an issue posting photos, so I'll only flame you a little bit if you don't post them by the 26th (and a lot if you don't post them by the 6th). As long as you communicate these sorts of things it should be okay.

You could always have /someone else/ open the package, take some photos, send them to me, and re-close the package. ;-)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Nov 2016, 14:31

Don't forget to ship your packages! A couple of tracking numbers are trickling in.

Thumper
knock knock

11 Nov 2016, 16:19

Getting all my stuff Monday/Tuesday. Will ship then asap ;)

Return to “Keyboards”