Genius idea of the day

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Nov 2016, 11:30

Laser wrote: Beautiful! :) (*)

* For the record, I don't claim that ideas in this thread were not already thought of, implemented etc. Even more, the fact that some others "already did it" shows that great minds think alike (and that those people also have a savoir-faire) :P
I totally agree with you and should have added that I did not in the least intend to minimize your ideas.
Your design just reminded me of Minskleip's post.

By the way, CeeSA has also implemented an impressive split keyboard with two 12x8 Tipro units.

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Nov 2016, 11:51

:)

It seems like this solution is quite fit for Tipro units, since they check all the marks: ortho layout, programmable, and can be combined.

EDIT: Following your remark, I found this (in a very ... relaxing thread, CeeSA's):

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Nov 2016, 19:15

Ok, another one ...

Hook up a 16x2 LCD display to your teensy/arduino-powered custom keyboard, and use it:

1. in place of Caps Lock/Function Layer LEDs, to display keyboard state information
2. to take keyboard ... INTERNAL NOTES, using something like the most minimal ex (line oriented) editor commands (those familiar with ed, or ex and/or vi(m) know what I'm talking about) and some form of storage (ideas?).

Hking0036

01 Dec 2016, 05:00

drevyek wrote:
kbdfr wrote: There exists quite a wealth of different relegendable keycaps for MX switches:
Jarltech:
Spoiler:
Idea: just like BS caps, produce the relegendable bases for MX, Alps, etc, and make mount-generic, non-see-through caps to fit over, so you could have a single keyset for multiple stem types.

It'd let you go from Alps to MX in a second, easily.
This is a genius idea! Except for profiles, you would have to have a base set of every profile you'd want. I don't know how well the 2-part assembly would work with shorter stuff like gmk cherry profile or DSA also. It's a neat idea though.

Phenix
-p

01 Dec 2016, 14:28

Maybe the keys could somewhat be sticked together with magnets?

paecific.jr

08 Dec 2016, 21:22

A keyboard with over 200 keys, that way there is no need for layers. I am thinking something like 2 keyboards. 2 home row positions.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Dec 2016, 07:48

paecific.jr wrote: A keyboard with over 200 keys, that way there is no need for layers. […]
My obvious answer:
248 keys, each of them programmable on 4 layers should the need arise :lol: :

Laser
emacs -nw

16 Dec 2016, 20:20

Adapt a (more solid) two-pieces, wood-made, foldable chess table to make a keyboard case out of it.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Dec 2016, 16:36

I'd like something which I can slide over a laptop keyboard and provides a stable stand for my HHKB. A piece of wood, or something 3d printed, or maybe a frame, ideally something which can be folded or slided into something smaller for transportation without sacrificing on stability. Maybe with stops or holes to keep the HHKB feet in place.

I've made a sophisticated 3D CAD design:
Spoiler:

Laser
emacs -nw

17 Dec 2016, 17:39

I need to learn to use that CAD program :D

Of course it all depends on the laptop size, but on my old Toshiba Satellite, the HHKB fits perfectly, in that I simply put it on the laptop keyboard without problems - I can use it, and it's pretty stable as is. If the laptop isn't larger than the HHKB, two strips of narrow rubber stuck to the margins of the HHKB's bottom could also help with more taller laptop keycaps.

Phenix
-p

19 Dec 2016, 18:32

I used an sheet of foam with my Novatouch resting on it (15" laptop)

works, but sometimes triggers laptop keys

easiest would be deactivate Laptop keyboard

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Jan 2017, 12:20

A spacebar where the stems (for the switch and the stabilizers) could be lower parts sliding along an upper part to remain in any desired position:
spacebar-1.jpg
spacebar-1.jpg (20.07 KiB) Viewed 6562 times
for example this way:
spacebar-2.jpg
spacebar-2.jpg (14.66 KiB) Viewed 6562 times

Laser
emacs -nw

16 Jan 2017, 13:01

That's great! For a programmable keyboard, this could (depending on spacebar length) replace a number of 1 unit switches with, well, the spacebar, by re-using the most distant two switches positions (both probably modded with very light springs).

Code: Select all

/-- [x][x][x][x][x]    (switches)
|
\->[[x]=========[x]]    (spacebar)

Laser
emacs -nw

31 May 2018, 22:45

So I recently managed to put my hands on a FC660C (thanks to Wazazaby). Great keyboard! More silent than the HHKB, somehow more tactile and heavier domes (although rated at 45g), sturdier due to the plate, arrows ... :D - and, soon, fully programmable too. After this memorable thread necromancy just to show off, let's get to the great idea of the day.

There are no aluminum cases for the FC660C - I know there's one in the works (Norbauer), I bet it will cost a big buck. But the top case - the top case of the Leopold is one piece of plastic, not much material, and fixed to the bottom with a screw and four plastic tabs (image borrowed from GH):

I wonder, wouldn't be this top case a great candidate for a cheaper aluminum replacement? The top case covers the edges anyway, going right to the bottom, so it covers the keyboard pretty effectively. It's just one piece, so easier to make, not too much material, needs to support just one screw and four notches. In any case, *much* easier to make than a HHKB replacement top case. And with that remark, I rest my case :P

P.S. Aluminum ... or wood

depletedvespene

01 Jun 2018, 16:37

Laser wrote: I suggest to start a new thread (this one!), in order to collect the eventual occurrences of keyboard-related GENIAL, ORIGINAL (or SILLY/FUNNY, or both) ideas that members of Deskthority may feel lurking in their heads, waiting to be formulated, and pestering their owners if they don't.
Weeeeeeeeeeell... now that you mention it... every now and then I design a joke layout (like the "monitor keyboard", which was supposed to have exactly 132 keys), and then some of my ideas are part joke, part serious. Lately, I've been researching ortholinear keyboards, and I've noticed that they are small — discounting proper keypads, ortholinear keyboards come in simple monogrids, sized from 12×4 to 16×6. And I thought... why not do clusters? Why not do an ortholinear keyboard with a recognizable nav cluster, a separate F-row and whatnot? So I designed an ortholinear TKL layout (the numpad can be easily tacked on later)... now I wonder if it would be a good idea to actually build it (I WILL do a SKB60 ortholinear first, because I really need to test if I can actually use non-staggered keyboards).

Meanwhile, check this out:
A proposal for an ortholinear TKL.
A proposal for an ortholinear TKL.
orthoTKL.png (20.4 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
The main alphanum block is 14×5; it's accompanied by an Esc+F-keys row, and a traditional nav cluster. I DO wonder if I should make the main block 15×5, make both LShift and LCtrl 2U wide and then enjoy three extra keys.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Jun 2018, 17:04

Why is Alt and Ctrl so large? Why is left Ctrl so small?

depletedvespene

01 Jun 2018, 17:30

Because I wanted to and that's that! :mrgreen:

Because in my design I wanted all keys to be 1U or 2U and I wanted the mods to keep their position relative to the rest of the keys as closely as possible to a regular staggered keyboard. This meant that Alt, AltGr and Ctrl had to be rounded UP from 1.5U to 2U (note that RShift is reduced from 2.25U to 2U); OTOS, (ISO) LShift being rounded down to 1U isn't too bad, and LCtrl rounded down from 1.5U to 1U isn't that painful of a compromise because it stays in its "natural" position on the lower left corner. This allowed me to reduce the initial width of the main alphanum block from 15U to 14U, as well... something that I now wonder if it's truly necessary. I could make it be 15×5 again, make LShift and LCtrl 2U wide (for "consistency"), and then add three keys on the remaining space.

What to do with those three extra keys? The middle one could be Shift-Tab. Or programmable macro keys. Or Fn keys. Or I could add another 2U Enter key ("West Latin Enter") and make the top left corner key be an extra Backspace "for symmetry" (or Del, for that matter).

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Jun 2018, 17:44

depletedvespene wrote: Because I wanted to and that's that! :mrgreen:
Soooo... latin keyboard? :lol:

depletedvespene

01 Jun 2018, 17:50

Blaise170 wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: Because I wanted to and that's that! :mrgreen:
Soooo... latin keyboard? :lol:
ONLY if you give me 150.000 euros. Or 150.000 dollars, if you prefer so.

Heck, give me 15.000 euros (90% discount! CALL NOW!) and I'll give this design whatever name you may want it to have.

Laser
emacs -nw

29 Jan 2019, 15:19

If your USB keyboard supports the PS2 protocol (with a passive PS2toUSB adapter), you can make it fully programmable using Hasu's PS2toUSB converter, much cheaper than buying/making (also Hasu's) USBtoUSB adapter. In the end, your keyboard still hooks using USB, but it's now fully programmable, and a PS2toUSB adapter made with a Pro Micro costs under 5$ :)

Anyone care to practically test this soon?

Reference thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14 ... msg2716010
hasu.png
hasu.png (178.55 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
See also: https://superuser.com/a/189475/292962
Last edited by Laser on 30 Jan 2019, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Myoth

29 Jan 2019, 15:31

This may be unrelated but I recently swapped a ps/2 cable for an AT one to use my soarer converter on it, works great !

Muirium
µ

29 Jan 2019, 15:40

@Laser: that’s what I mean to do with my Filco MJ2 so I can use it with the iPad without simultaneously going insane. Sure there’s the Pegasus Hoof, but I’ve Teensies to spare and would like to socket the cable anyway.

I’ve also gotten quite used to Hasu’s Unimap for programming now; and would like to add some of my HHKB tricks to the TKL.

Laser
emacs -nw

29 Jan 2019, 15:45

@Myoth - Yes, a bit unrelated, if I remember well the AT cable has a DIN5 jack, which has actually the same pins as a PS/2 jack (same pins, same protocol, different jack). The idea in the post above is to avoid using attaching a "USB host shield" to a Pro Micro and rely on the internal keyboard PS/2 capabilities instead, even if the keyboard normally uses USB :) So, using just a Pro Micro, instead of the more expensive/complicated "USB host shield"+"Pro Micro" :)

@Muirium - the nice thing is, with Hasu's converter, one could also enhance the keyboard by adding extra buttons, and even a small thumb-joystick as mouse :)

Muirium
µ

29 Jan 2019, 15:49

Indeed! My HHKB serves as an occasional lazy mouse now, too, which I’m finding more handy than I really should…

Have you done all that usb host shield stuff yourself? I looked into it a little when I first thought of Bluetoothing my Realforce, which is usb only. Host shields seem to be bigger than teensies!

Laser
emacs -nw

29 Jan 2019, 15:51

Muirium wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 15:49

Have you done all that usb host shield stuff yourself? I looked into it a little when I first thought of Bluetoothing my Realforce, which is usb only. Host shields seem to be bigger than teensies!
Nope, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid :)

Muirium
µ

29 Jan 2019, 16:01

Yeah, I’d love to know how Hasu does it in those wee USB-USB converters of his. Or even better, I’d love him to make a Bluetooth version so we can all get aboard!

Laser
emacs -nw

29 Jan 2019, 16:18

Muirium wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 16:01
Yeah, I’d love to know how Hasu does it in those wee USB-USB converters of his. Or even better, I’d love him to make a Bluetooth version so we can all get aboard!
Well, he says it in his USB2USB converter thread: "You need USB host controller chip MAX3421e and AVR chip ATMega32U4." So he made his own PCB on which he placed directly the essential chips, instead of how we have to do it - buying a big USB host shield and a Pro Micro and hooking them up :)

purdobol

30 Jan 2019, 16:59

Putting rotary encoder made from old HDD motor (so smooth).
Putting display (especially VFD).

Problem is, don't see real practical application for those. I mean encoder can be good for audio editing (which nowadays I never do), or volume, rewind type purposes. But hey keys work well for that as well, and it's not something you do often.
Display also seems like good idea except every keyboard in use has usually huge screen in front of a user called monitor :lol: . So what exactly small keyboard screen can display that's useful...

mcmaxmcmc

01 Feb 2019, 10:40

Keycaps with interchangeable stems... why is this not a thing yet?

depletedvespene

01 Feb 2019, 11:51

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 10:40
Keycaps with interchangeable stems... why is this not a thing yet?
Getting them hand-aligned with the required submillimetrical position (so as they wouldn't look "crooked") would be a pain in the ass for most people (and downright impossible for gits with thick, clumsy fingers, like myself).

Return to “Keyboards”