Macro key on BTC 53 Series Keyboard?

Flatfire

07 Nov 2016, 00:49

I picked up an old BTC and a Mitsumi that someone was getting ready to toss the other day. The Mitsumi is kinda lame, inverted rubber domes and a membrane the switches touch on. Nothing super exciting, but the BTC is much more interesting. It's a BTC 5339R and down in the bottom left hand corner is a macro key. I'm actually cleaning the keyboard as I write this, since it was pretty gungy. Haven't had a chance to test this thing out yet since I don't have an adapter and don't particularly want to destroy the cable while attempting to solder the PS/2 end to it.

Back to the point, anyone have an idea of what this thing does exactly? From what I've heard, the 53 Series keyboards are fairly common but I have yet to find documentation on the macro key.

anjorno

08 Dec 2016, 04:28

The BTC macro key has a PS/2 scan code of E0 6F. It's not currently supported in Soarer's Converter or TMK. It would be great if it could be added in as a remappable input key.

Looking at the TMK source code, it looks fairly straightforward to enable it as EF in the packed scan codes bit matrix. I don't understand yet how the KEYMAP defines work.

I think it's a neat keyboard, from the early nineties. I currently have mine set up at my secondary station, which is a standing desk with a big screen. The keys can be a bit stiff when you hit them off center (the unstabilized ones, less than two units wide or tall). I have the Backslash key at the bottom right of the main key area remapped as a GUI/Command key, with Backslash and vertical bar moved over to shifts of Pad Slash and Pad Minus. Ideally I'd remap BTC_Macro as Left GUI.

Return to “Keyboards”