Just finished Planet 6; My latest ergo board

Kurplop

25 Nov 2016, 18:44

IMG_1319 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_1319 - Version 2.jpg (156.84 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
After a year+ of starts, stops, redesigning, delays, missing fingers, etcetera, I finally finished, what I would call, my CAD friendly ergonomic keyboard. Check out the pictorial chronology here: https://youtu.be/FI37j5bLnKY

Phenix
-p

25 Nov 2016, 18:55

Awesome!
Looks really interesting, i would. Love to try that layout out..

ErgoHack

25 Nov 2016, 22:47

Impressive. Makes me want a milling machine.

I a curious about the weight and your keymappings.

Tangtawan

25 Nov 2016, 23:09

looks really nice

Kurplop

26 Nov 2016, 06:22

Thanks for your questions and kind words.

I hoped the milling action would whet some appetites. It's hypnotic; almost sensual.

Here is an early map I made. It's incomplete and only about 90% accurate but gives you an idea where I'm gong with it. Some of the final keyring assignments will be decided later by trial and error. Most of the 2nd layer key assignments will be on the right half. Well suited for me since an accident in April left me with a few shortened fingers on my left hand.
keymapping.pdf
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 159 times
I weighed it today. It is seven pounds. The bottom walnut and aluminum cover weighs three pounds and the working half the other four. I could have dropped almost 2 pounds from the bottom cover but since it will be mounted to a keyboard tray arm the extra weight won't matter. Considering its fairly small footprint (15" wide), it feels very solid. By comparison, I kept my AlumaPlop down to a pound and a half. Same aluminum body but designed for portability.

The reason I went with such a radical departure from traditional switch and cap design was because of the smaller vertical spacing between keys I wanted. Losing a half inch of distance between five rows of switches makes it much easier to reach the top and bottom rows.

The twelve switches around the trackball will allow most CAD functions to be executed with minimal hand movement.

DrOpBoX

26 Nov 2016, 21:22

wow...no words man, really???? U are a monster! Just wow! I`m feeling so noob XD

WASD_Greg

27 Nov 2016, 00:16

Thank you for sharing this. I enjoyed the video a lot. This is a truly incredible project. Well done.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

27 Nov 2016, 05:12

You are a boss. Looks amazing.

hoggy

27 Nov 2016, 08:05

That's a beautiful board.

I want to say something really nice about the keyboard and I know it cost you a chunk or two out of your hand, but it's clearly the result of a work of love, passion, vision... but every time I re-write it, it sounds like I'm trying to say that it was worth sacrificing your fingers to it, and it's not quite what I have in mind.

Can't wait to see your next project!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

27 Nov 2016, 15:32

Well done video and great looking board! I cant get into ergos personally, but I can definitely appreciate the effort put into this. amazing!

Kurplop

27 Nov 2016, 17:15

I'm sure it sounds redundant to keep saying thanks for all of your kind words, but you should know that I appreciate every encouraging comment. Thanks for taking the time to send them.
hoggy wrote: That's a beautiful board.

I want to say something really nice about the keyboard and I know it cost you a chunk or two out of your hand, but it's clearly the result of a work of love, passion, vision... but every time I re-write it, it sounds like I'm trying to say that it was worth sacrificing your fingers to it, and it's not quite what I have in mind.

Can't wait to see your next project!
I understand what you mean and I would gladly trade the keyboard for my fingers. The accident actually happened while I was building a custom sized table and chair for my granddaughter who has dwarfism. My daughter feels bad when she thinks that I lost my finger tips because of that. I understand her thoughts but I would gladly lose a lot more than my fingers for them.
Attachments
A little girl and her table and chair
A little girl and her table and chair
IMG_1106.JPG (127.39 KiB) Viewed 3381 times

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

27 Nov 2016, 17:40

This really was one of the most impressive ground-up builds I've ever seen. Such craftsmanship went into this, and you clearly are a master of many things.

Return to “Keyboards”