Realforce - type s?

ShivaYash

28 Nov 2016, 23:46

Hello,

I did not know Realforce offers a type-s variant on its keyboards. Am I missing something? Is this a new thing? I can't seem to find any of their type-s boards online to purchase.

With best,

SY

Topre Enthusiast

28 Nov 2016, 23:56

There are definitely "silenced" Realforces, but they are not called 'Type-S' (this is a HHKB brand). They use the same foam washer method of damping as a HHKB Pro Type-S.

EliteKeyboards sell a silenced version of the bog standard variable weight 104U these days.

ShivaYash

29 Nov 2016, 00:00

Thanks! So the only difference is the addition of a foam washer... i.e. I could 'silence' my 87u, to a 'factory spec' without too much fuss. Perhaps with @hypersphere rings?

zslane

29 Nov 2016, 00:04

I've read reports (here) that Hypersphere's silencing rings produce superior results to Topre's "factory" silencing. YMMV of course.

czarek

06 Dec 2016, 14:21

I've got both Factory silenced RF and one with Hypersphere's rings. They're pretty close to each other. Wouldn't say one is better than the other. Even having them both on my desk it's hard to tell the difference.

face

06 Dec 2016, 16:53

They shouldn't be close though. I though type-s felt more or less exactly like the normal HHKB? I have a clear loss of tactility with the hypersphere rings (although that's good since the HHKB was too heavy for my RSI).

zslane

06 Dec 2016, 18:46

How can silencing rings interfere with tactility?

Tactility on a Topre switch comes from the collapse of the rubber dome, which silencing rings do not interfere with in any way. There isn't even enough key travel reduction to deform the dome when the key is in its rest position. The only thing a silencing ring does is prevent plastic-on-plastic contact (and the resultant noise) when the slider returns to its rest position on the upstroke cycle.

face

06 Dec 2016, 20:06

Of course it interferes with the collapsing of the dome!! It takes away 0.5mm of travel - that means it depresses the domes at 0.5mm and hereby you are taking away necessary actuation force. Take a look at the force-travel-curve of topre: if the dome is pre-depressed 0.5mm, there is waaay less bump before the actuation point.
The purple stems are a little bit longer for this reason.

This is true for the hypersphere rings. The type-s ones are apparently 0.2mm thin and wont interfere with tactility that much - that's what I heard at least. Therefore my question.

czarek

07 Dec 2016, 14:40

It's not 0.5mm, more like 0.2-0.3 mm travel difference. If you can feel that little difference, I'm really impressed.
There is no difference in tactility, only sound, which is much nicer with silencing (no upstroke clacking).

face

07 Dec 2016, 17:00

It is 0.5mm. Ask Hypersphere. And yes, I can definitely feel it. The tactile bump on my HHKB is nearly gone and barely noticeable.

czarek

08 Dec 2016, 09:43

Well just think about tactile bump of the Topre switch. Whole travel is a bump, that's why some people compare it to linear switches. When pressing the key slowly it's almost impossible to tell where it activates (like in linear switches), but when typing at full speed you definitely feel the domes popping giving you reasuring tactility. Almost impossible not to bottom out though. And really, even if it's 0.5mm travel reduction, it's not a big deal :) The keyboard feels way more premium without the upstroke clack.

face

08 Dec 2016, 18:07

Yeah, it's better with the rings. That's for sure. However I could clearly feel the bump initially.

Take a look at the force curve. 0.5mm takes away the most of the bump since the beginning is the steepest part of the curve.

Return to “Keyboards”