Costar pulled the Filcos

sixty
Gasbag Guru

16 Feb 2011, 15:09

http://www.costar.com.tw/products01/?p_sid=32

God knows why, but they are no longer being listed on their lineup.

bugfix

16 Feb 2011, 15:40

First elitekeyboards, now them... What's happening?

Minskleip

16 Feb 2011, 15:59

Can Diatec find a new OEM and get the same boards built?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

16 Feb 2011, 16:00

Costar may still be making them and was maybe just forced to remove them from their website or something... who knows. Still very odd though.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

16 Feb 2011, 16:03

Then again... that should not be the case, since Costar owns the rights to the full sized boards... hmm.

itlnstln

16 Feb 2011, 16:07

They seem to still be producing the Rosewills, but the Rosewills have slightly different internals, so they might be updating specs. It might explain some of the lack in supply for Filcos in the market. Was Costar building the Tenkeyless, too, or was that another OEM?

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Feb 2011, 16:10

keyboardco still going strong..

sixty
Gasbag Guru

16 Feb 2011, 16:10

Costar was building the tenkeyless, but Diatec has the exclusive worldwide rights on that. Meaning no other company can OEM order those from Costar.

itlnstln

16 Feb 2011, 16:13

Maybe Newegg is getting the exclusive in the US. I'm sure Newegg has a helluva lot more clout than Diatec (let alone Elitekeyboards). If Costar only lists the 'boards they can OEM for all customers, that means another company could sell their own version of the Das, though I'm not sure why anybody would.

Then again, this is all speculation and assumptions. Maybe one of the Asian sites will get the scoop.

ripster

16 Feb 2011, 17:28

They haven't been listed there for quite some time.

And Filcos are easy to find WW. I'd become the North America distributor if the customers weren't such whiners.

clickykeyboards

22 Feb 2011, 16:15

One of the Taiwanese manufacturers contacted me in 2009 looking to custom build an OEM unit to spec. Good discussions back and forth and they were willing to handle all the mechanical and electrical engineering design once the conceptual design was finalized. I was traveling to Japan on unrelated conference and was invited to meet with them at a trade show in electronics expo in Hong Kong.

Would have been easy to re-use and re-label existing keyboard design.. but no fun in that.

The initial price per unit was reasonable for new keyboard design, choice of key switches, choice of colors.. and while I could confidently handle the MOQ 1,200 - 1,500 (minimum order quantity).. the tooling fees for new design, real-world logistics of 3 month lead time and ocean freight from Taiwan to port of New York, designing packaging and CE/FCC regulatory approvals, transport, brokerage, insurance, US customs (can't exactly mark 1000 keyboards as a "gift" or "sample").

All together, had a decent business plan put together, but couldn't convince loan officers at 3 US commerical banks to finance the risk during the Financial Crisis of 2007-10.

Although.. now that recession is over... anybody have an American Express black card that they can loan me?

ripster

22 Feb 2011, 16:59

Speaking of black......Have you removed Wellington1869 from your black list yet?

Oh wait, maybe that was Brian O'Neill and Majestouch.

ripster

22 Feb 2011, 17:01

Meanwhile at Geekhack, the source of true information not just wildass rumors....

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=297332&postcount=108

And unlike Wikipedia I tend need at least two citations from different sources before I believe anything...

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=299050&postcount=6

Wish there was an EASY way to embed links here.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

22 Feb 2011, 18:15

ripster wrote:Meanwhile at Geekhack, the source of true information not just wildass rumors....

U SO FUNNY

ripster

23 Feb 2011, 00:27

For a dead company Filco sure cranks out nice PCBs.

Damn internet. Between OCN, HardForum, Anandtech and now this forum I have to spend all my time stamping out keyboard myths.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

23 Feb 2011, 00:42

Never said they were dead. Also why the massive change on PCBs. Maybe its not Costar anymore after all?

There, new rumor for you to work out.

laden3

23 Feb 2011, 01:16

The PCB looks so familiar... who is cloning who now? :roll: There were never any clones I guess. :D

itlnstln

23 Feb 2011, 14:43

Lame key caps are lame. I want to check out the new Filcos, but for all the re-design, they didn't appear to make any improvements on the weakest part of the 'board (IMO).

ripster

23 Feb 2011, 17:18

News sure travels slow on this forum.

keyboardlover

23 Feb 2011, 17:56

Fewer Filco fanboiz here.

itlnstln

23 Feb 2011, 18:04

keyboardlover wrote:Fewer Filco fanboiz here.
Sounds like Welly.

keyboardlover

23 Feb 2011, 18:42

Who's that?

ripster

24 Feb 2011, 00:16

Hmmm.....KL - Are you SURE Filco is going under?

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=299982#post299982

microsoft windows

24 Feb 2011, 00:21

I think there was already a thread here on that.

travishax

05 Mar 2011, 22:10

Doesn't costar make the keyboards? Because i remember that the rk-9000 is a costar oem

espritsc

06 Mar 2011, 08:32

Getting less and less places to get a filco. I wish elitekeyboards would restock soon.

Pylon

06 Mar 2011, 22:07

Amazon just started stocking them.

duq

06 Mar 2011, 22:37

Espiritsc, EK would have no reason considering they now stock they're filco replacement leopolds.

Return to “Keyboards”