Does anyone know of any more blank Cherry boards than these?

courtesi

24 Nov 2011, 16:25

DAS 2 - a rebranded black G80-3000 with mx blues; I've heard rumors of it having issues - not quite sure what they were - but I believe they were electronics related (can someone put this rumor to rest?). I've been told this comes in both ANSI and ISO format. I don't know how many were made but I don't see these (ANSI) versions come up very often.

G80-3000 LSCXX-0 : White G80-3000 with mx blues in ISO format. I looked all over the place for a ANSI format one and couldn't find it; which is a damn shame because it looks awesome.

G80-3000LPCXY-2: Black G80-3000 with mx blacks in ANSI format.

G80-3000LPCXX-2: Black G80-3000 with mx blacks in ISO format.

These are all the variants I could find but that doesn't mean more don't exist. It boggles my mind how many different special editions Cherry has put out - primarily in Asia. In a parallel universe where I had deep pockets I'd definitely open up an "Elite Keyboards" like shop and import these in for Cherry/PCB lovers.

I do have 3 additional questions that I hope you can answer for me:

1. I've read multiple reviews of Cherry keyboards and it sounds like blacks would be a terrible choice for the fullsize 3000 due to the yield in the PCB?

2. Would anyone happen to know how WASD's, the average blank PBT keycap set, or the Double Shots group buys on GH would look on a white 3000? The majority of the difficulty in making a white blank/otaku board is that unless they come straight from the manufacturer the second hand key caps never seem to match the case. I like to think long term knowing that I'm a heavy keyboard user and want to have access to replacement keycaps that match.

WASD is coming out with a white base for their keyboard in the next few months and hopefully their caps will match. Still, it's a plate mounted board and I sincerely dig the PCB format and am pissed there aren't more choices. A board with Co-Star stabilizers on a PCB would probably be nirvana.

3. How difficult would it be remove the Cherry logo along with the text by the caps/scroll/numlock keys - just for minimalist sake. I know the material on the 3000 is probably not of the highest quality and would be worried to scratch it.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read my post =)

nathanscribe

24 Nov 2011, 16:57

Filco. Keyboardco.com stock them. Blank keycaps are available in packs.

courtesi

24 Nov 2011, 17:04

Correct, Keyboard Co sells black blank keycaps; they don't sell white keycaps that match the white Filco boards.

Findecanor

24 Nov 2011, 17:42

Cherry's "white" G80 keyboards are really only light grey, and that is what Cherry themselves call them. "Light grey" / "Hellgrau" (in German).
They do not look white in comparison with real "white" keyboards and key sets.

You could paint the keyboard white, but not without sacrificing the texture in the plastic. You can use spray dye on plastics to get red, blue, and other darker colours, but not to get brighter colours.

courtesi

24 Nov 2011, 17:50

Do you think the light grey on the 3000 would match the light grey in here:

Return to “Keyboards”