Are black switches crap on a fullsize PCB?

courtesi

24 Nov 2011, 22:47

Can you confirm or deny this? As I understand it, the PCB will flex a bit much under blacks - but I don't have one to confirm.

I see a lot of love for reds and blues on the 3000 but not much for blacks.

maoiste

24 Nov 2011, 22:58

if you have the habit of pressing that hard on your keys, then no matter what the switch you make that PCB bend.
On my black g80 3000 i don't encounter problems with bending the PCB even if i bottom out while typing fast.

I think reds just are loved more, as ppl seem to favor low resistance with linear switches, for less fatigue while gaming.

And maybe there is some kind of psychological factor because of reds beeing more expensive due to beeing harder accessible. So in contrast your ordinary blacks might seem quite boring ?

courtesi

24 Nov 2011, 23:07

After spending a couple weeks on Ghetto Reds I'm heading back to Fry's tomorrow to try the Steel Series 6v2 again. The last time I tried blacks I thought the forum was all mad; yes stiffer but not terribly so. After living the easy life on 45g I'll see if my mind has changed.

nathanscribe

24 Nov 2011, 23:54

I've had a PCB-mounted-blacks G80-1000 for years, and it's fine.

JBert

25 Nov 2011, 19:41

Seriously, it might be not as firm as plate-mounted but the PCB doesn't flex THAT much. I'm typing on a G80-3k with clears (which are even heavier than the blacks) and it's just fine.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Nov 2011, 20:06

After years of typing on a G80-2100 with PCB mounted blacks, I switched to a Tipro keyboard with plate-mounted blacks some time ago. No real difference.

grasshopper

26 Nov 2011, 15:08

I have to say my experiences lead me to a different conclusion.

I own an old Cherry keyboard (probably a G80-1000 but I'm not 100% sure) fitted with PCB mounted black switches. I recently had the chance to compare it with a Steelseries 6v2 and a Filco fitted with blacks. There was really no comparison. The Cherry feels significantly less pleasant to type on than the two plate mounted boards. The plate mounted keyboards just felt crisper and more solidly build.

I think the problem is not just the PCB mounted switches but the flimsy Cherry case which makes the keyboard feel cheap.

JBert

27 Nov 2011, 11:10

grasshopper wrote:I think the problem is not just the PCB mounted switches but the flimsy Cherry case which makes the keyboard feel cheap.
Now this is more likely to be the culprit... The new Cherry cases are very light and can easily flex when held at the sides.

Still, I wouldn't think that necessarily makes the keyboard type like crap, at least not compared to the 99% of keyboards out there. On the other hand, if your budget goes up to $150, it would be silly to buy a cheap Cherry if you want a really solid keyboard...

Return to “Keyboards”