Let me explain the meaning of Tai-Hao...

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 03:16

Image

Tai 太 means utmost/highest/most superior/most eligible you got the idea.
Hao 豪 means lavish/spectacular/galant

So, it's not uncommon this name/brand is adopted by Hotels to show off...and it has a strong flavor of vulgarness.

User avatar
Chyros

18 Dec 2016, 03:39

So basically Tai-Hao is Acme :lol: .

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 03:50

Chyros wrote: So basically Tai-Hao is Acme :lol: .
It always obviously conveys an undertone that some body is or want to be extremely filthy fucking rich. That's why it sounds vulgar :D It's not about the quality or meaning or value, it just implies the mentality " I want everybody to know I have a lot of money and I feel good about it, and that's the only thing I care..." you got what I mean.

I think Tai-Hao was originally founded by a couple of Taiwanese bussinessmen who wanted to make a fortune by making plastic keycaps and cases, while it seems they've succeeded.

User avatar
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

18 Dec 2016, 07:25

It's like naming your casino the Ultra Luxe.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

18 Dec 2016, 08:02

So just one step above TRUMP.

Speaking of which, I really hope Chinese companies abuse the living shit out of his intellectual property. Nothing pisses off a walking brand like taking his name in vain. Well, besides pulling off his hideous wig.

User avatar
Darkshado

18 Dec 2016, 08:14

Muirium wrote: So just one step above TRUMP.

Speaking of which, I really hope Chinese companies abuse the living shit out of his intellectual property. Nothing pisses off a walking brand like taking his name in vain. Well, besides pulling off his hideous wig.
Careful what you wish for, else someone comes on here advertising "Trump" keycaps in a "fake bake orange + washed-off blond" colorway! (oh, and I think the term you're looking for the president-elect's hairdo is "comb-over")

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 09:19

Trump is an epitome of Tu Hao 土豪 . "土" originally means dirt or soil, here it means having no taste, tastless..

Image

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Dec 2016, 10:26

As we all know Tai-Hao is a Taiwanese company. You are from China Mr.Nobody? I'm sure there isn't any dubious undertone involved here that someone who knows the history of the two countries may sense. Just imagine that a European like myself may very well know how many Chinese feel about Taiwan. The fact that you choose a Trump tower for that last picture is interesting in light of recent political developments.

Five things About China-Taiwan Relations:

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2016/12/03 ... relations/

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 11:03

seebart wrote: As we all know Tai-Hao is a Taiwanese company. You are from China Mr.Nobody? I'm sure there isn't any dubious undertone involved here that someone who knows the history of the two countries may sense. Just imagine that a European like myself may very well know how many Chinese feel about Taiwan. The fact that you choose a Trump tower for that last picture is interesting in light of recent political developments.

Five things About China-Taiwan Relations:

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2016/12/03 ... relations/
In fact it's not politically correct to say "two contries" we never admit Taiwan as a sovereign country, it's always Taiwan province, we regard taiwanese as countrymen, Mainlanders and Taiwaneses both deem themselves as Chinese, but indeed some Taiwanese might think themselves are a little bit superior, because for many years ecomomy over there had been better than Mainland's, they just couldn't accept that in recent years Mainland China surpassses them in almost all aspects...

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Dec 2016, 11:12

Mr.Nobody wrote:
seebart wrote: As we all know Tai-Hao is a Taiwanese company. You are from China Mr.Nobody? I'm sure there isn't any dubious undertone involved here that someone who knows the history of the two countries may sense. Just imagine that a European like myself may very well know how many Chinese feel about Taiwan. The fact that you choose a Trump tower for that last picture is interesting in light of recent political developments.

Five things About China-Taiwan Relations:

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2016/12/03 ... relations/
In fact it's not politically correct to say "two contries" we never admit Taiwan as a sovereign country, it's always Taiwan province, we regard taiwanese as countrymen, Mainlanders and Taiwaneses both deem themselves as Chinese, but indeed some Taiwanese might think themselves are a little bit superior, because for many years ecomomy over there had been better than Mainland's, they just couldn't accept that in recent years Mainland China surpassses them in almost all aspects...
I know, is that why you refer to Tai-Hao as "strong flavor of vulgar", "want to be extremely filthy fucking rich", "means having no taste"? If you ask me this whole thread is politically motivated.

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 11:21

seebart wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote:
seebart wrote: As we all know Tai-Hao is a Taiwanese company. You are from China Mr.Nobody? I'm sure there isn't any dubious undertone involved here that someone who knows the history of the two countries may sense. Just imagine that a European like myself may very well know how many Chinese feel about Taiwan. The fact that you choose a Trump tower for that last picture is interesting in light of recent political developments.

Five things About China-Taiwan Relations:

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2016/12/03 ... relations/
In fact it's not politically correct to say "two contries" we never admit Taiwan as a sovereign country, it's always Taiwan province, we regard taiwanese as countrymen, Mainlanders and Taiwaneses both deem themselves as Chinese, but indeed some Taiwanese might think themselves are a little bit superior, because for many years ecomomy over there had been better than Mainland's, they just couldn't accept that in recent years Mainland China surpassses them in almost all aspects...
I know, is that why you refer to Tai-Hao as "strong flavor of vulgar", "want to be extremely filthy fucking rich", "means having no taste"? If you ask me this whole thread is politically motivated.
Not at all, it is what it is, there are vulgar people all over the globe, there are countless hotels and brands in Mainland China have names start or end with "Hao" including the one in the picture, it's just like Trump's gold-coated Jet and probably his parachute as well....ubiquitous. :D
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 18 Dec 2016, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Dec 2016, 11:23

I wonder what what would happen if I called an established Chinese company all these phrases in a chinese online community...although this is not a Taiwanese online community.

I like this BTW:
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 18 Dec 2016, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
:mrgreen:

Others here might get what I mean.

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 11:30

seebart wrote: I wonder what what would happen if I called an established Chinese company all these phrases in a chinese online community...although this is not a Taiwanese online community.

I like this BTW:
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 18 Dec 2016, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
It might be screened out automatically due to keywords cencoring, otherwise your comment might be deleted buy moderator manually for fear of inducing unneccessary trouble to the site. Otherwise you might incite a bitter debate which will degenerate into personal insults against eachother eventually.Hah Hah...All this is completely explainable psychologically. Thank God I have studied psychology and behaviral analysis. It's just human nature...

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 11:32

seebart wrote: I wonder what what would happen if I called an established Chinese company all these phrases in a chinese online community...although this is not a Taiwanese online community.

I like this BTW:
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 18 Dec 2016, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
:mrgreen:

Others here might get what I mean.
Yes I edited for once ,I put "as well" behind "parachute" to make the sentence complete...

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Dec 2016, 11:33

Mr.Nobody wrote:
seebart wrote: I wonder what what would happen if I called an established Chinese company all these phrases in a chinese online community...although this is not a Taiwanese online community.

I like this BTW:
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 18 Dec 2016, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
:mrgreen:

Others here might get what I mean.
Yes I edited for once ,I put "as well" behind "parachute" to make the sentence complete...
No the joke is on me, I edit a lot and used to have a signature: "Last edited by seebart".
Mr.Nobody wrote: Not at all, it is what it is, there are vulgar people all over the globe like Trump...
Yes, I think we can agree on this for sure.
Spoiler:
Donald-Melania-Trump-Manhattan-Penthouse_1.jpg
Donald-Melania-Trump-Manhattan-Penthouse_1.jpg (231.81 KiB) Viewed 2795 times

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Dec 2016, 11:41

Seebart - 100% not breitbart.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Dec 2016, 11:45

Wodan wrote: Seebart - 100% not breitbart.
Ahh very good Wodan. ;)
f2a671a21ab9b20ebc02911ca4709abfb1a1dfc451971fa18fdb779ca984684b.jpg
f2a671a21ab9b20ebc02911ca4709abfb1a1dfc451971fa18fdb779ca984684b.jpg (40.93 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 11:46

the sole purpose of this thread is to tell people the meaning behind a Brand name, just like Uranus sounds like your anus, it's not a good name at all... American people spell pedophile instead of paedophile, if only they knew the root paedo means "child" and the suffix "phile" means "to like" and "ped" means foot,which is the root for words like :pedal and pedestrine etc. they'd never spell it that way, because spell it "pedophile" it will mean someone into "feet" but you mean someone into Children :D :D :D :D

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Dec 2016, 11:50

So do you think that they specifically choose this name in 1962 when they founded Tai Hao? Because if the meaning is so well known what's the point?

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 11:52

Well, to wrap it up, you don 't have to remember my blah blah, but next time you say Tai-Hao just be aware it's a vulgar brand name which has no flavor of hi-tec but strong flavor of vulgarness. :mrgreen:

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Dec 2016, 11:55

Mr.Nobody wrote: Well, to wrap it up, you don 't have to remember my blah blah, but next time you say Tai-Hao just be aware it's a vulgar brand name which has no flavor of hi-tec but strong flavor of vulgarness. :mrgreen:
If I'm around asain people yes of course. If I'm standing next to Donald Trump (which will not happen) I could say...
hey Trump, you're one hell of a Tai Hao!
:lol:
1g6kki.jpg
1g6kki.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Last edited by seebart on 18 Dec 2016, 12:05, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 11:56

seebart wrote: So do you think that they specifically choose this name in 1962 when they founded Tai Hao? Because if the meaning is so well known what's the point?
The point is those people were Donald Trump wannabes, it's their dream and ideal to be newly-rich upstarts(I just forget how to spell this word in French way) So, it's a pretty good name to them at the time, at leat it reflects what they wanted.

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 11:59

seebart wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: Well, to wrap it up, you don 't have to remember my blah blah, but next time you say Tai-Hao just be aware it's a vulgar brand name which has no flavor of hi-tec but strong flavor of vulgarness. :mrgreen:
If I'm around asain people yes of course. If I'm standing next to Donald Trump (which will not happen) I could say...
hey Trump, you're one hell of a Tai Hao!
:lol:
Idiomatically, it should be "Hey Trump you are one hell of Tu Hao(土豪)"

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 12:22

Wipe your ass with your gold-plated million dollar check, you fucking Tu Hao(pronouces like "Too How")

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

18 Dec 2016, 12:30

Deskthority - mechanical keyboards 太豪

User avatar
bloo

18 Dec 2016, 12:48

What does "Ducky" mean?

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 12:56

bloo wrote: What does "Ducky" mean?
It just means duck, but in China it's called 魔力鸭 means "magic duck"

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

18 Dec 2016, 12:57

webwit wrote: Deskthority - mechanical keyboards 太豪
9000+ posts,how long you've been here?

User avatar
chzel

18 Dec 2016, 12:59

Let's say he's seen it all on this forum....

User avatar
Menuhin

18 Dec 2016, 14:21

About 太豪 (Tai-Hao), Mr.Nobody has done a really good job in explaining.
There is a tiny bit of lost in translation here still, not just in the name 太豪.

'Taiwanese' is a term becoming more popular among younger generations in Taiwan during the recent 2 decades.

There is for sure ambiguity about what is meant by a 'country'.
For example, during a civil war, do every sides made up of independent smaller countries already? How about when the civil war reaches a stalemate, say, for 10 days, then do we start to already treat them as smaller nations? On the other hand, there were examples of groups who wrote up their constitutions and declared their 'countries' while never were fully in power.
How about a country being occupied and divided into different areas by foreign forces? And various military bases are still occupying the land and heavy foreign influences on ruling are still present as of today? Do we treat it as a whole 'country'? Or simply another form of colony?
Oh we should think of "international laws" and treaties. But from a political science point of view, relations between countries at the international level can be viewed as an anarchy - i.e. who is bigger rules, who is bigger set the rules of the game, who is bigger has the freedom to choose when not to obey. Think of nuclear disarmament, think of legitimacy of the Gulf War, or even things happening now. So "international laws" are means of bigger players to govern smaller nations in a more civilized diplomatic way, before crushing embargoes with its allies, and before real military actions.
[A higher level of manipulation would be to become a host-controlling self-victimizing parasite of one of these bigger players - they are not nation, or that their nation is not big and not nearby, but such a strategy is highly advantageous.]

Cultural wise, both sides of Taiwan and mainland China will not deny they are part of '中華' culture which means 'Central Flower', essentially Chinese culture, because it is part of the names of both governing bodies of mainland China and Taiwan. Even the Japanese wanted to set up a cultural area of 中華 during WWII (but ruled by them, called 大中華共榮圈). For sure we can distinguish special things in Taiwan just like we can distinguish specialties in some parts of northern or southern Germany. However, the term Chinese has been used mostly culturally and interchangeably with 中華.
These terms can have the same meaning therefore, Shanghai Chinese <-> 'Shanghainese', Taiwan Chinese <-> Taiwanese, etc. Does it mean that I ignore the complexity of the situation in the region and the time and patience required to resolve it and that someone who should never have stepped a foot in Asia and remained there have been waiting for chances to create chaos in Asia like those they created in the ME? No, I didn't ignore these.

P.s. Personally for me, who is capable of conversing in Chinese at a native level and read classics like 易經 and 論語 some time, the name 太豪 intuitively does not sound vulgar and it can be interpreted in some other ways. 太 as uttermost or extreme comes from 太陽 (the sun), 太陰 (the moon in the literature), 太極 (a form of Kung-Fu/ martial art, which can literally means extreme poles) which are quite literal; 豪 is a manner of not caring about minor things or tiny details of etiquette, e.g. during conversation, during helping people or drinking wine. The term 土豪 is a relatively recent term as a short form to combine 老土/土氣 and 富豪 to ridicule those people in some part of China that became quite rich but then they have not yet acquired the supposedly corresponding level of taste and mannerisms of the upper class. To be 豪 is a manner, one doesn't need to be rich to be 豪, it's a bit towards the direction of vulgar but still being appropriate, for example in 豪邁 or 豪傑 etc which is a term appeared in famous poems.
Last edited by Menuhin on 18 Dec 2016, 15:56, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”