Does the Model M satisfy you?

Lynx_Carpathica

19 Dec 2016, 18:43

It does... in typing feel.
But the sound... it's not quite there. it sound very like bottoming out, and doesn't sound like the what I've heard from youtube. Is it worth buying a Model F? What should I pay for it? Preferably Model F AT. Don't have a soaris (or wtf) converter.

Hking0036

19 Dec 2016, 18:45

If you like the M, supposedly the F is just a directly better version of the M (Assuming you can wrap your head around the AT/XT layout) in terms of feel, sound, and also having NKRO since it's capacitive. You missed out on the M/F buy or else you could have converted your M. You're going to need a Soarer's because no matter what F you get I don't think any come with PS/2.

I like my M okay, but stuff like RShift tends to wear out my fingers over prolonged usage so I don't use it quite as much.
Last edited by Hking0036 on 19 Dec 2016, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

ohaimark
Kingpin

19 Dec 2016, 18:46

Model Fs are worth it, yes. With import costs? That depends on how big your wallet is.

Lynx_Carpathica

19 Dec 2016, 18:52

ohaimark wrote: Model Fs are worth it, yes. With import costs? That depends on how big your wallet is.
As small as possible, lol
I didn't eben buy a proper IPS display, I bought an Eizo Flexscan F730 instead.. xD
I have a surface pro 3 though. xD
I'm cheap as hell :DDD
I wouldn't mind terminal keyboards, if they cost Less. If I have to convert it anyway. I do have an AT to PS2 converter, and PS2 ports on my PC. Gonna sell my Model M for an F.

No I was kidding. It's in sutch good condition, I can't sell it. I MUST keep it.. xD

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Dec 2016, 19:33

The AT version speaks PC and only requires an AT-to-PC adapter. The others require hardware converters.

If you have the space, the 122-key terminal can be modified to something very close to a standard layout.

Lynx_Carpathica

19 Dec 2016, 19:47

Well... I do have a big desk... But the cost. How mutch is it? xD

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2016, 19:55

Dude, srsly, Kish is the only way to go.

photos-f62/kishsaver-photothread-t7483.html

You did say you were richer than god and were prepared to use it, right?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 Dec 2016, 20:55

Lynx_Carpathica wrote: Is it worth buying a Model F?

YES! Get the AT if you can unless you don't mind the XT layout which is moddable. If you follow Muirium's advice you need to have $400-500 and a LOT of patience! Just get an XT. ;)

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2016, 20:58

What he said!

The Kishy is unobtainium. I was lucky to get mine. ATs and especially XTs are abundant in comparison and well with trying out for the Model F feel. Which is gorgeous compared to Model M.

BeeSawd

19 Dec 2016, 22:46

Ellipse's new F62 and F77s look very promising, and it ticks all the boxes. I can hardly wait for mine since i'm on the same boat right now, i love my F122 but i just don't have the desk space and 60% looks fun. To answer the original question yes, the Model F is a HUGE step up from the M.

Also, if you can stand doing a bit of modding and have some time the FSSKs may be worth a look, you can add them to your existing Model M and use Model F buckling springs with NKRO inside, also a really neat project.

wobbled

20 Dec 2016, 00:52

Muirium wrote: What he said!

The Kishy is unobtainium. I was lucky to get mine. ATs and especially XTs are abundant in comparison and well with trying out for the Model F feel. Which is gorgeous compared to Model M.
Let me know if ever you decide to sell it... Ridiculous amounts will be offered :)

emdude
Model M Apologist

20 Dec 2016, 01:24

Yes, I can also attest to there being an improvement going from membrane (Model M) to capacitive (Model F) buckling springs. That said, I actually enjoy the feel and clacky sound of a Model M. Some people also find the pinginess of Model Fs to be annoying.

Also, there might be there a difference in feel and sound between Model F keyboards.. I love my Model F 122; it is perfectly weighted and has a lovely musical ping to it. I also have an XT.. that I don't like so much. Its ping is much more metallic and does not sing like the F 122. This might be due to how the inner assembly is tensioned, and I recall there being a short discussion about it a few days ago.

---

Biggest issues are layout and price. The most common Model F is the XT, but you'll have to deal with the horrible layout and the task of modding it, at least to make it usable.

The Model F AT and 122 have much more convenient layouts, but they go for a decent amount more (and the 122 will need a Soarer's converter to be usable as well).

If you are willing to pay even more money, then Ellipse's 4704 reproductions are your best option right now, as lot_lizard's MF group buy has just ended.

Mr.Nobody

27 Dec 2016, 06:59

Yes definitely, even after using Model F AT for almost a week, I still think Model M is satisfying enough...the only way to find out is to buy both an AT and an M, like what I just did.

Lynx_Carpathica

01 Jan 2017, 13:08

I don't have that mutch money, max 50€ xD
Sooo let's forget it :D

micrex22

01 Jan 2017, 15:49

emdude wrote: Yes, I can also attest to there being an improvement going from membrane (Model M) to capacitive (Model F) buckling springs. That said, I actually enjoy the feel and clacky sound of a Model M. Some people also find the pinginess of Model Fs to be annoying.

Also, there might be there a difference in feel and sound between Model F keyboards.. I love my Model F 122; it is perfectly weighted and has a lovely musical ping to it. I also have an XT.. that I don't like so much. Its ping is much more metallic and does not sing like the F 122. This might be due to how the inner assembly is tensioned, and I recall there being a short discussion about it a few days ago.

---

Biggest issues are layout and price. The most common Model F is the XT, but you'll have to deal with the horrible layout and the task of modding it, at least to make it usable.

The Model F AT and 122 have much more convenient layouts, but they go for a decent amount more (and the 122 will need a Soarer's converter to be usable as well).

If you are willing to pay even more money, then Ellipse's 4704 reproductions are your best option right now, as lot_lizard's MF group buy has just ended.
I have some specific Model Ms that I love to type on, it also helps prevent fatigue from typing on the same keyboard indefinitely. While I like Model F switches, I still like my Model Ms.

The 122 Model Fs have more ring to them due to the massive size of the barrel plate; causing more 'singing' than in any other buckling spring assembly. If your XT Model F has decaying foam it will feel awful, mine used to feel amazing until the foam turned to mush.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

01 Jan 2017, 17:24

Its fun to come back to a model M every so often, but as a daily driver board it gets a bit annoying. I really dont like the sound that a model M makes and much prefer the sound of a model F. However I got my SSK out yesterday and am really enjoying typing on it. I guess its just a balance. When the model MF kit I ordered arrives however I will have no reason left to use Membrane BS due to capacitive BS being superior in every way.

alh84001
v.001

01 Jan 2017, 18:47

My M122 (early, F122-like model) actually feels better than the rest of the Ms, and is closer to F in feel.You can get them for cheap, but they have KRO issues (someone else will know more about it) and you need Soarer's.

Entropia

01 Jan 2017, 19:20

I've had a Model M for many years and I finally sold it. It's a fantastic keyboard and, as regards performance, it's unbeatable, but I wanted something more pleasurable to type on. I find Cherry switches more refined and less crude, both in how the feel and how they sound. I'd really like to try a brand new Model M or Unicomp. Maybe they are better.

Chyros

01 Jan 2017, 19:43

alh84001 wrote: My M122 (early, F122-like model) actually feels better than the rest of the Ms, and is closer to F in feel.You can get them for cheap, but they have KRO issues (someone else will know more about it) and you need Soarer's.
Hahaha I've always found those to be such a tease - looks like an F122, but isn't :lol: .

micrex22

02 Jan 2017, 00:17

Chyros wrote: Hahaha I've always found those to be such a tease - looks like an F122, but isn't :lol: .
They make me sad with the omission of the longer legs, I love propping them up their fullest height.

Coincidentally, IBM kept the 'two-piece' leg design up until their very last keyboard they made, although not nearly as impressive--it's still funny to see how product legacy sticks within their DNA:

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Jan 2017, 00:23

When you say "kept" — which Model M keyboards have this feature?

elecplus

02 Jan 2017, 00:28

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: When you say "kept" — which Model M keyboards have this feature?
1390832 is one, I believe. M122 with F feet.

HuBandiT

02 Jan 2017, 00:37

Anyone got a 122 key one they want to get rid of and donate (or sell cheap) for a DIY project (so it does not have to be 100%), with reasonable shipping costs (see my location in profile), holler! ISO preferred (if such a thing exists).

elecplus

02 Jan 2017, 00:51

HuBandiT wrote: Anyone got a 122 key one they want to get rid of and donate (or sell cheap) for a DIY project (so it does not have to be 100%), with reasonable shipping costs (see my location in profile), holler! ISO preferred (if such a thing exists).
I have over 100 of them, but shipping would kill it...

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Jan 2017, 01:04

HuBandiT wrote:

ISO preferred (if such a thing exists).

All IBM 122-key terminals are ISO-like layout unless you modify them.

HuBandiT

02 Jan 2017, 01:28

fohat wrote: All IBM 122-key terminals are ISO-like layout unless you modify them.
Apologies, you seem to be right! I kept getting distracted by the extra two rows of keys on top, the 5-way arrow group, and the 2x5 key block on the left, so I never actually looked at the enter area. But I see now. Thank you!

Mr.Nobody

02 Jan 2017, 02:01

Entropia wrote: I've had a Model M for many years and I finally sold it. It's a fantastic keyboard and, as regards performance, it's unbeatable, but I wanted something more pleasurable to type on. I find Cherry switches more refined and less crude, both in how the feel and how they sound. I'd really like to try a brand new Model M or Unicomp. Maybe they are better.
I love Ms exactly for their crude masculine tactility and sound, comparatively Cherry switches are more refined and feminine...I think the reason there are so many switches out there is to make everyone can get what s/he wants.
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 09 Jan 2017, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

PollandAkuma

02 Jan 2017, 21:12

Mr.Nobody wrote:
Entropia wrote: I've had a Model M for many years and I finally sold it. It's a fantastic keyboard and, as regards performance, it's unbeatable, but I wanted something more pleasurable to type on. I find Cherry switches more refined and less crude, both in how the feel and how they sound. I'd really like to try a brand new Model M or Unicomp. Maybe they are better.
I love Ms exactly for their crude masculine feel and sound, comparatively Cherry switches are more refined and feminine...I think the reason there are so many switches out there is to make everyone can get what s/he wants.
My thoughts:
Topre = ultimate sexy lad(d)y
Model M = loud drinker at a pub(?)

HA.

keycap

03 Jan 2017, 14:57

I'd be better off if my Model M actually worked. The membrane connector is broken yet everything else is in perfect shape. Only two broken rivets and they're the least important ones on the entire board.

It's almost as if it's aware, like it's taunting me on purpose.

Lynx_Carpathica

03 Jan 2017, 20:16

keycap wrote: I'd be better off if my Model M actually worked. The membrane connector is broken yet everything else is in perfect shape. Only two broken rivets and they're the least important ones on the entire board.

It's almost as if it's aware, like it's taunting me on purpose.
it might be doing exactly that xd Fix it :D

Return to “Keyboards”