When clicks really shine

czarek

27 Jan 2017, 13:24

I use couple keyboards as my daily drivers. That includes silent Realforce, GH60 with 62G zealios, ErgoDox with 62G vintage blacks, silenced HHKB and Filco with MX Blues.

I'm a developer by trade and while I often work in local IDE (Visual Studio, XCode or just simply beefed up Vim), I also work on backends quite a lot. That obviously happens through tmux and Vim and as servers are scattered around the globe the lag is sometimes quite noticable.

And here's where linear switches don't really cut it. Because characters in terminal don't really show up instantly when keys register (like for example typing here in a browser) your subconsciousness requires some feedback, otherwise you basically slow down and it hurts productivity.

For those situations I feel like I need serious feedback. And yes, Realforce here is still pretty good, but can't really beat serious clickers, like BS or MX Blues. Even with headphones on and music playing at medium levels I can still hear the clicks and it really helps. Even if I get to extreme laggy situation I know exactly what I typed.

Sadly I'm too lazy to mod my AT Model F to proper ANSI, and Model M is a bit too heavy for me nowadays so I'm using my Filco with MX Blues mostly nowadays, but this changes a lot every day. Keyboards I used the least recently are HHBK and Zealio GH60. I feel like I switch between my Filcos (MX Blue and MX Red) most often now.

Both are really far from perfect (the closest to perfection keyboard I have is the Realforce I just sold). MX Blues do feel a bit weird compared to my favourite MX Blue board (older filco, but sadly so worn I don't want to use it any more), and MX Reds are just plain boring not so smooth Reds everyone knows :)
I still enjoy those 2 and if I had to I could leave with only those as my daily drivers. Well maybe with ErgoDox just in case my fingers start hurting again.

Return to “Keyboards”