Cherry appreciation topic

cookie

04 May 2017, 14:31

Am I allowed to brag about Topre and how good they are?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

04 May 2017, 14:34

cookie wrote: Am I allowed to brag about Topre and how good they are?

Khers

04 May 2017, 14:35

Yes, they're good enough for that

cookie

04 May 2017, 16:04

Wodan wrote:
cookie wrote: Am I allowed to brag about Topre and how good they are?
Ohh uhh... okay
Khers wrote: Yes, they're good enough for that
YES!

No but seriously, what I appreciat most about cherry mx switches is the endless selection of caps and custom boards!
If I'd ever put a custom MX board together I'd choose reds or vintage blacks for that, they were really nice from what I remember. I'd also like to try some Zelios to see if they are really that awesome but I guess it will be wasted money since Topre is so damn guuuud! :mrgreen:

Lynx_Carpathica

04 May 2017, 21:04

cookie wrote: YES!

No but seriously, what I appreciat most about cherry mx switches is the endless selection of caps and custom boards!
If I'd ever put a custom MX board together I'd choose reds or vintage blacks for that, they were really nice from what I remember. I'd also like to try some Zelios to see if they are really that awesome but I guess it will be wasted money since Topre is so damn guuuud! :mrgreen:
Well... I'd rather use Vintage MX Blacks with red springs, or blue even. Reds are said to be to light, and blacks to be too heavy. Or gateron blacks, or reds, or even clears. I'm a quite light handed typist. They are said to be extremely smooth. Compareable to vintage MX Blacks. Chyros even said "they feel like they were lubed" or something like that.

Wodan: Perfect :lol:

cookie

04 May 2017, 23:23

Wodan is the man, seriously that picture said it all and totally cracked me up :D

vvp

05 May 2017, 18:40

How it is possible that alps appreciation topic is 26 times bigger than this one?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 May 2017, 18:54

vvp wrote: How it is possible that alps appreciation topic is 26 times bigger than this one?
Cherry isn't as much of a circle jerk ...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 May 2017, 22:03

Wodan wrote:
vvp wrote: How it is possible that alps appreciation topic is 26 times bigger than this one?
Cherry isn't as much of a circle jerk ...
This is exactly the type of reply which sums up why I don't post anymore.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 May 2017, 22:04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by seebart on 06 May 2017, 11:18, edited 2 times in total.

Sankart

05 May 2017, 22:30

At least for me Cherry stuff is really boring. I like their switches for various reasons, but there's nothing rare/mystical about them, as they're still produced. Sure there are some lesser known variations like the Cherry MX Navy, but overall they are the same as the ones that are all over the place.
But Alps isn't producing their keyboard switches anymore. There are some really rare switches like SKCMAT out there and also clean switches are much more important than with Cherry. I see why people are more interested in sharing their Alps finds, that being said, that the Cherry topic is pretty dead surprises me as well.

vvp

06 May 2017, 00:58

Don't Matias switches count as Alps?

Well, cleanness requirement should not be probably discussed under thread with "appreciation" in the title :-)

But I get it. It is more complicated(*) with alps and therefore more discussing.

(*) more alternatives overall; harder to get; less recent pcb / plate / keycap designs

zslane

06 May 2017, 01:09

I've not read the DT version of that thread, but over on GH it's basically been five guys carrying an ongoing conversation amongst themselves for months on end. It's not easy to find five guys obsessed enough with Cherry switches to talk about it for more than a few days.

In fact, these days all the "excitement" in the MX realm comes from the cloners, not Cherry, and so conversation around the proverbial watercooler will center on Zealios and Gaterons and Kailhs and so on. I'd wager you'd see more traffic if this thread had been called "MX appreciation" instead.

Sankart

06 May 2017, 01:42

vvp wrote: Don't Matias switches count as Alps?
And even they just released a new version (reduced wobble).

To come back on topic a little again, my Cherry MX Silent have been sent today and I'm really looking forward to trying them out. I'm normally not a linear kind of guy, but maybe the silenced are better. I like dampened Alps as well.

scottc

06 May 2017, 03:18

zslane wrote: In fact, these days all the "excitement" in the MX realm comes from the cloners, not Cherry, and so conversation around the proverbial watercooler will center on Zealios and Gaterons and Kailhs and so on. I'd wager you'd see more traffic if this thread had been called "MX appreciation" instead.
I, for one, am the most excited about Cherry MX Silent Reds. :)

zslane

06 May 2017, 03:33

I like MX silent reds better than MX reds, but I would like them even better if the sliders were as smooth as Gaterons because the noise of the slider friction is a little annoying.

I most excited about Kailh Coppers.

Lynx_Carpathica

06 May 2017, 13:29

Kailh produced poor quality switches, haven't they? Razer keyboards had quite a few problems as far as I remember. Has the quality improved?

Daniel Beardsmore

06 May 2017, 14:42

[Removed: Idiotic colour names]
Last edited by Daniel Beardsmore on 06 May 2017, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

06 May 2017, 15:00

Actually that second recording was stuffed up. Here's another attempt with just Kailh Copper Bronze then Gold, on the same hard plastic surface:

http://telcontar.net/store/hosted/fora/ ... arison.wav

This is a lot closer to what I actually hear: bronze's copper's click is extremely sharp and very high-pitched. The difference is still more pronounced in reality than on that recording.

[Edit: Idiotic colour names]
Last edited by Daniel Beardsmore on 06 May 2017, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

zslane

06 May 2017, 20:27

The tactile Copper switch doesn't have a click. Their clicky switches are Gold and Thick Gold (some folks have nicknamed it Bronze). I'm not a fan of the sharp, high-pitched click of the Thick Gold at all. I think the softer, more subtle click of Gold is more tolerable, at least to me. But If I'm going to use a switch with a louder click, I'd probably go with the Kailh Box white instead. Really though, I'm not a fan of clicky of any kind except in very special contexts (e.g., a keyboard meant to give the impression of a manual typewriter).

The Copper, on the other hand, feels sublime. Maybe not quite as smooth as a Topre, but possibly the next best thing. However, I don't know how it sounds/feels with a whole board full of them, and so I don't know how bad the bottom-out and upstroke noise is in actual use.

Daniel Beardsmore

06 May 2017, 21:31

Argh. Well that was a complete waste of time then.

The "bronze" one is what I'd call "copper", but the tactile one gets called copper I guess because it's more pink even though it's far too dark. I guess I figured I'd finally got my head around the absurd colour naming but I clearly still haven't. Some colour charts I looked up originally did affirm that the lighter one would be copper, and the darker one bronze, but I decided to stick with the names used on AliExpress just to avoid creating even more confusion. What's more ridiculous though is that only the silver one is metallic, so the naming is totally inconsistent.

You're right though that copper does feel very smooth.

zslane

06 May 2017, 22:21

Well, the names I'm using are the names MassDrop uses. I believe Kailh uses them too, except as I said before they use Thick Gold instead of Bronze. But Bronze seems to be catching on...

Daniel Beardsmore

06 May 2017, 23:12

I already know what Kailh call them, it's me who added the details to the wiki. I just find the names daft and hard to remember, as they don't match the actual colours.

zslane

06 May 2017, 23:28

Oh, I agree completely.

Myoth

03 Mar 2019, 20:02

this definitely deserves a bump, post your Cherry corp. boards !

samuelcable

03 Mar 2019, 20:07

IMG_20190212_140714.jpg
IMG_20190212_140714.jpg (495.39 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
IMG_20190217_210326.jpg
IMG_20190217_210326.jpg (584.18 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
IMG_20190225_233236.jpg
IMG_20190225_233236.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 5519 times

Lbibass

03 Mar 2019, 20:54

Once I am done with some stuff, I will post my Honeywell branded G80-0528. Well, it's not actually a G80-0528, it's a different model number on the PCB. I believe it was G80-0689? I also got a very interested unbranded Model F XT clone board. It's honestly very well built, with OG Cherry Doubleshots, and spring loaded flip out feet. Decently smooth vintage blacks. The unfortunate thing is that the only branding on it is on the cable, and it says R.Wang. I will take some photos soon. There's not a single piece of branding anywhere else. :(

samuelcable

03 Mar 2019, 20:58

Lbibass wrote:
Once I am done with some stuff, I will post my Honeywell branded G80-0528. Well, it's not actually a G80-0528, it's a different model number on the PCB.
IMG_20190228_142914.jpg
IMG_20190228_142914.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 5488 times
I have a NCR branded one with the model number 0427 internally

My board has icon mods only while they usually have vertical text on the mods too

Lbibass

03 Mar 2019, 22:00

samuelcable wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 20:58
Lbibass wrote:
Once I am done with some stuff, I will post my Honeywell branded G80-0528. Well, it's not actually a G80-0528, it's a different model number on the PCB.
IMG_20190228_142914.jpg

I have a NCR branded one with the model number 0427 internally

My board has icon mods only while they usually have vertical text on the mods too
Interesting! Do you have any more pictures?

hansichen

03 Mar 2019, 22:33

Lbibass wrote:
Once I am done with some stuff, I will post my Honeywell branded G80-0528. Well, it's not actually a G80-0528, it's a different model number on the PCB. I believe it was G80-0689? I also got a very interested unbranded Model F XT clone board. It's honestly very well built, with OG Cherry Doubleshots, and spring loaded flip out feet. Decently smooth vintage blacks. The unfortunate thing is that the only branding on it is on the cable, and it says R.Wang. I will take some photos soon. There's not a single piece of branding anywhere else. :(
Back then every version of a keyboard had his own number. So there should be one for each branding and one for each language as well. So there are probably 20+ different "G80-0528" boards with unique product numbers.

Sadly I suck at taking pictures so nothing from my side for now :lol:

Return to “Keyboards”