IBM Pingmasters are still available on Ebay

just_add_coffee

18 Feb 2017, 19:37

I had been looking on Ebay for while for one of these keyboards, but IBM Pingmaster and ibm 6112884 on Ebay's searches weren't returning anything.

These keyboards are indeed still available. However 6112884 corresponds to the part number for the Japanese-keycapped version, which does seem to be gone from Ebay, and the seller doesn't use Pingmaster in their description.

The Chinese keycapped version (the one that I actually prefer because 我喜欢学习汉语!) is part number 6113442 and, as of this post, 25 are still available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Chinese-Let ... SwPe1UDyRq

BTW, $34.95 USD ... US free shipping, the rest of the world gets gouged.

What the heck am I talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfyOs694lpU

Edit: Corrected the shipping info.
Last edited by just_add_coffee on 18 Feb 2017, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

18 Feb 2017, 20:01

FREE SHIPPING! To the USA.
eBay wrote:Shipping: $77.50 USPS Priority Mail International | See details
See details about international shipping here.

Item location:
Dayton, Ohio, United States

Ships to:
Worldwide See exclusions

Mattr567

18 Feb 2017, 20:04

I have one of these, really neat boards, although I still haven't converted mine :-| The only issue I have with these is the height, it strains my wrist by default.

The unboxing experience is amazing btw.

jellybelly

18 Feb 2017, 20:10

Too bad shipping is 60 bucks :(

just_add_coffee

18 Feb 2017, 20:18

scottc wrote: FREE SHIPPING! To the USA.
eBay wrote:Shipping: $77.50 USPS Priority Mail International | See details
See details about international shipping here.

Item location:
Dayton, Ohio, United States

Ships to:
Worldwide See exclusions
Dammit. I am sorry about that and fixed my post.

Ir0n

18 Feb 2017, 20:22

I wish I picked up one of the Japanese boards.. :< I've heard a lot of good things about these.

just_add_coffee

18 Feb 2017, 20:23

jellybelly wrote: Too bad shipping is 60 bucks :(
I'm looking at the USPS site and ... ummmm ... it's not good.

How do you folks normally get stuff from the US?

jellybelly

18 Feb 2017, 20:38

just_add_coffee wrote:
jellybelly wrote: Too bad shipping is 60 bucks :(
I'm looking at the USPS site and ... ummmm ... it's not good.

How do you folks normally get stuff from the US?
I personally have never bought anything from the US. Most of the time the shipping cost is not worth it for me.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Feb 2017, 21:04

Realize that you can get the same board directly from the supplier for 25 USD plus shipping. If you want to ship overseas contact them directly, they've done this before.

http://meci.com/nib-ibm-chinese-letteri ... 13442.html

just_add_coffee

18 Feb 2017, 21:15

jellybelly wrote: I personally have never bought anything from the US. Most of the time the shipping cost is not worth it for me.
I just checked with UPS (not USPS) and it's even more expensive.

I've bought from UK sellers on /r/mechmarket twice over the last month. The biggest item was a Pok3r, but still. The shipping cost wasn't a complete showstopper like it seems here.

jellybelly

18 Feb 2017, 21:38

XMIT wrote: Realize that you can get the same board directly from the supplier for 25 USD plus shipping. If you want to ship overseas contact them directly, they've done this before.

http://meci.com/nib-ibm-chinese-letteri ... 13442.html
I've messaged them, thank you for the info!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

19 Feb 2017, 02:00

just_add_coffee wrote:
jellybelly wrote: I personally have never bought anything from the US. Most of the time the shipping cost is not worth it for me.
I just checked with UPS (not USPS) and it's even more expensive.

I've bought from UK sellers on /r/mechmarket twice over the last month. The biggest item was a Pok3r, but still. The shipping cost wasn't a complete showstopper like it seems here.
Coming into the US you don't pay customs (at least not currently).

just_add_coffee

19 Feb 2017, 19:37

XMIT wrote: Coming into the US you don't pay customs (at least not currently).
Did not know that. Thank you!

__red__

20 Feb 2017, 00:48

See... this is just screaming for a drop-in F replacement...

Ratfink

20 Feb 2017, 02:13

__red__ wrote: See... this is just screaming for a drop-in F replacement...
What in God's name makes you say that? :o

They're not remotely compatible with a Model F, so you'd just be using the case and nothing else. Not to mention that they're already lovely boards. Better to just leave them alone and appreciate them how they are.

micrex22

20 Feb 2017, 02:19

Ratfink wrote:
__red__ wrote: See... this is just screaming for a drop-in F replacement...
What in God's name makes you say that? :o

They're not remotely compatible with a Model F, so you'd just be using the case and nothing else. Not to mention that they're already lovely boards. Better to just leave them alone and appreciate them how they are.
Well you couldn't even use the case because it's flat and not curved. Unless someone wants to make flat buckling spring assemblies (which, isn't very appealing).

__red__

20 Feb 2017, 02:56

Ratfink wrote: They're not remotely compatible with a Model F, so you'd just be using the case and nothing else. Not to mention that they're already lovely boards. Better to just leave them alone and appreciate them how they are.
Would you recommend this as my first non-buckling-spring board?

codemonkeymike

20 Feb 2017, 03:25

@__red__ It is a linear switch while BS is tactile/clickey so if you are looking for a change of pace then maybe.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

20 Feb 2017, 03:34

I'm still upset I didn't buy the japanese one >_<

just_add_coffee

22 Feb 2017, 08:49

micrex22 wrote: Well you couldn't even use the case because it's flat and not curved. Unless someone wants to make flat buckling spring assemblies (which, isn't very appealing).
A flat board with SA profile caps and Gateron greens, at least in my opinion, is not a bad typing experience. I think a flat (or flat-ish) bucking spring board could be even better, but that's not an opinion based in reality at this moment. :D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Feb 2017, 09:43

Mattr567 wrote: The unboxing experience is amazing btw.
Agreed, well worth the price IMO.

Same seller, same keyboards, this guy must have a large number of these:

keyboards-f2/ibm-part-no-6112884-t11815 ... %206112884

wiki/User:Seebart

__red__

22 Feb 2017, 12:40

You know what seebart, I'll take your recommendation. I'm not even sure I'll like a linear switch but I'll give it a shot.

seebart

22 Feb 2017, 14:00

__red__ wrote: You know what seebart, I'll take your recommendation. I'm not even sure I'll like a linear switch but I'll give it a shot.
They are nice IF you like linear switches. You understand that you will have to convert it right?

__red__

22 Feb 2017, 14:38

seebart wrote: They are nice IF you like linear switches. You understand that you will have to convert it right?
I guess the closest I've come to a linear switch is an MX Black of which I wasn't a fan.

... and yes to the conversion. I just completed three 4704 Model F conversions using TMK and the README for that project included data for the 'alps version' which is what I assumed this was. Thanks for the heads-up thought, I'd rather have the additional warning, especially in a field in which I am unfamiliar (ie, anything not buckling spring).

seebart

22 Feb 2017, 14:44

What obviously makes these asian IBM nice is that they are new in box, which does not show up that often in this form. Sure the linear SKCC's are unspectacular but whole package is quite nice. The seller is OK, he's been selling these for at least three years now.

__red__

22 Feb 2017, 14:48

seebart wrote: What obviously makes these asian IBM nice is that they are new in box, which does not show up that often in this form. Sure the linear SKCC's are unspectacular but whole package is quite nice. The seller is OK, he's been selling these for at least three years now.
This then is likely a thousand thread question... but if you were to recommend an 'end-game' linear switch that's not made of unobtanium, what would you recommend?

seebart

22 Feb 2017, 15:01

__red__ wrote:
seebart wrote: What obviously makes these asian IBM nice is that they are new in box, which does not show up that often in this form. Sure the linear SKCC's are unspectacular but whole package is quite nice. The seller is OK, he's been selling these for at least three years now.
This then is likely a thousand thread question... but if you were to recommend an 'end-game' linear switch that's not made of unobtanium, what would you recommend?
Quite difficult to answer because all the really good ones are either unobtanium or simply quite obscure AND linear is not 100% = linear although that sounds silly. I've heard many here say that Gaterons are really smooth, I have never tried them myself and I don't even know if they are 100% linear? But at least one can buy Gaterons!

keyboards-f2/the-great-switch-debate-t1 ... ns#p357985

Now if you have patience and want to dabble in old-school switches try and get old 1980's black Cherry MX's. At least they're not rare and affordable. Some of the smoothest linears I've tried are Fujitsu Leaf Spring 3rd gen and Oki Gourd Spring but again that's obscure stuff:

keyboards-f2/fujitsu-limited-n860-2505- ... %20T00201A

keyboards-f2/oki-hmb-35957u-22-oki-tact ... 5957U%2022

codemonkeymike

22 Feb 2017, 15:21

@__red__ If you have the mental fortitude for a GeekHack Group Buy then you can check this out https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85438.0

pixelheresy

22 Feb 2017, 15:55

OK. Anyone who has one... the doubles shot caps looks awesome. How big is that stem around? From what I have seen in pics and videos, wondering if you trim the cross supports underneath if they would fit a cherry mount. In that case, I would happily order one just for the parts... My parents live in the States. The last thing I need is stiff linear board, if I wind up not liking it, but them caps...

seebart

22 Feb 2017, 16:19

pixelheresy wrote: From what I have seen in pics and videos, wondering if you trim the cross supports underneath if they would fit a cherry mount.
Nope.

Return to “Keyboards”