As an academic exercise, what can you do with 58 keys?

__red__

23 Feb 2017, 17:52

I have 58 beamspring modules... as an academic exercise, what would your ideal layout look like for such a thing?

Here's my first stab:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 57e29a788e

codemonkeymike

23 Feb 2017, 18:11

Not sure if you have seen this resource but its pretty damn good https://www.massdrop.com/talk/947/keybo ... group_open

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Feb 2017, 18:11

Your missing a couple of switches for this but I would go along the lines of the original:
IBM_3277_Beam_Spring-_keyboard_profile.jpg
IBM_3277_Beam_Spring-_keyboard_profile.jpg (163.09 KiB) Viewed 4049 times

alh84001
v.001

23 Feb 2017, 18:23

IBM 5140 keyboard has exactly 58 SKCM Browns, so you may take that as a starting point.

__red__

23 Feb 2017, 18:26

Thanks for the resources and feedback thus far, enjoying reading the links...

ideus

23 Feb 2017, 18:33

alh84001
v.001

23 Feb 2017, 18:39

That one has 59 keys :)

emdude
Model M Apologist

23 Feb 2017, 18:52

Heh, if you are willing to part with the split Right Shift it's 58 keys again. ;)

You do lose the function key of course, but one could perhaps remap it to what the Alt Gr key would be.

Sigmoid

23 Feb 2017, 21:45

In your place I'd go for a 40% layout, and save a few switches for spares.

With 58 you can make a kinda bad 60%, in my opinion unworthy of the awesome beam springs, but it'd be more than enough for an epic 40%.

zslane

23 Feb 2017, 22:05

This is easy: a standard ANSI-61 minus the three rightmost bottom row modifier keys. I never use 'em anyway.

davkol

23 Feb 2017, 23:02

alphas: 2 (hands) × 3 (rows) × 5 (columns) = 30 keys
digits: 2 (hands) × 5 (columns) = 10 keys
modifiers: [shift, control, alt, super, alt-graph, function] × 2 (hands) = 12 keys
spacebar = 1 key
control characters: escape, return, delete, backspace, tabulator = 5 keys

symmetrical row-staggered or columnar layout with a bunch of thumb keys, optional hand separation

Like this, minus a pair of keys:

Chyros

23 Feb 2017, 23:09

Keep saving switches until you get 101.

Sigmoid

24 Feb 2017, 01:21

zslane wrote: This is easy: a standard ANSI-61 minus the three rightmost bottom row modifier keys. I never use 'em anyway.
davkol wrote: Like this, minus a pair of keys
Well "minus a pair of keys" can make or break a layout. I wouldn't mess with the modifiers. They might seem useless for certain tasks, but their lack can really hurt when eg. you need to type on an opt layer on Mac OS, or are using a European layout with AltGr. Also, a 60% really needs an fn key not only for function keys, but for arrows.

Of course you don't need ALL the bottom row keys, like I've never seen anyone use the Menu key for anything. I'd say it's safe to have Alt and Cmd (or "Gui") on both sides (ie. two modifiers on both ends of the Space bar), and Ctrl in place of Caps Lock. As for Caps Lock, I'd just put it on an Fn layer. I have it redefined as Cmd on my MBP and I haven't felt the need to re-enable it over more than a year.

A 40% can be fitted with a "num lock" key that allows you to enter numbers in a numpad-like manner over [iopkl;,./], to make it more comfortable for numeric entry. Besides, it's really portable, and a beamspring 40% would be absolutely hipsterlicious. :D

__red__

24 Feb 2017, 01:39

Sigmoid wrote: a beamspring 40% would be absolutely hipsterlicious. :D
... this is the most compelling argument I've heard thus far :lol:

y11971alex

24 Feb 2017, 05:10

Chyros wrote: Keep saving switches until you get 101.
That would be rather wasteful because most beam spring keyboards have fewer than 101 keys. In fact, the only model that I know to have that many is the Japanese typing system.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 Feb 2017, 10:29

y11971alex wrote:
That would be rather wasteful because most beam spring keyboards have fewer than 101 keys. In fact, the only model that I know to have that many is the Japanese typing system.
It might also take years...

davkol

24 Feb 2017, 10:47

Sigmoid wrote: Well "minus a pair of keys" can make or break a layout. I wouldn't mess with the modifiers. They might seem useless for certain tasks, but their lack can really hurt when eg. you need to type on an opt layer on Mac OS, or are using a European layout with AltGr. Also, a 60% really needs an fn key not only for function keys, but for arrows.
Well…
davkol wrote: modifiers: [shift, control, alt, super, alt-graph, function] × 2 (hands) = 12 keys
That's effectively more than on a typical keyboard.

The pictured layout has only a pair of extra symbol modifiers for typing "special" symbols from the missing "standard" keys or without reaching for the number row, but those could be accessed via alt-graph (many national layouts do that, after all).

There's also the option of using dual-role keys (e.g., hold spacebar for alt-graph, or tap control for escape).

Furthermore, some of the present special keys like backspace, tabulator or even return aren't necessary, thanks to classic control characters on *nix systems/terminals (e.g., control-h for backspace or ctrl-j for return). See the original HHKB layout, after all. (And no, arrows aren't strictly necessary either under those circumstances.)

czarek

24 Feb 2017, 14:19

Pretty easy actually. If there was an apocalypse and I only had 58 switches to build a keyboard, I'd probably go with layout like this:
58keys.png
58keys.png (15.6 KiB) Viewed 3871 times

Chyros

24 Feb 2017, 14:26

y11971alex wrote:
It was really more of a troll post than anything else :P .

drevyek

24 Feb 2017, 15:00

czarek wrote: Pretty easy actually. If there was an apocalypse and I only had 58 switches to build a keyboard, I'd probably go with layout like this:
58keys.png
Basically what I already have for my 60% (different mod assignment, but same keys). Looks great, is great.

58 switches all you need for a rad 60%.

subcat

24 Feb 2017, 15:11

HHKB layout minus right alt and meta.

czarek

24 Feb 2017, 15:45

drevyek wrote:
czarek wrote: Pretty easy actually. If there was an apocalypse and I only had 58 switches to build a keyboard, I'd probably go with layout like this:
58keys.png
Basically what I already have for my 60% (different mod assignment, but same keys). Looks great, is great.

58 switches all you need for a rad 60%.
Not to mention it's super easy to accomplish with readily available GH60 and virtually any keycaps set you can get.

belowgeek

01 Mar 2017, 18:09

codemonkeymike wrote: Not sure if you have seen this resource but its pretty damn good https://www.massdrop.com/talk/947/keybo ... group_open
This keyboard layout is actually looking pretty nice.

Return to “Keyboards”