IBM Model-F-like keyboard designs

RickCHodgin

21 Mar 2017, 16:14

just_add_coffee wrote:
RickCHodgin wrote: The downside is you'd have these big dual rectangle box-like things in front of your monitor, so your monitor would have to be up higher.
That, and the user potentially not liking the keys being obstructed...
The one I was envisioning would be pretty good sized (probably 8" free space inside). So, you would still have a good line-of-sight to all keys. I could install little lights in there to illuminate it. Also, possibly cameras on the opposite sides which send their video signal out so it can be displayed on a monitor so the hand and key positions can be seen, allowing for a smaller form factor. But, that's just getting ridiculous! LOL! :-)

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

RickCHodgin

24 Mar 2017, 00:11

I received the 3' x 4' poster today. The D1 is amazing. I want one. :-) I think I will target that keyboard as my first model for manufacturing.

http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/ ... esigns.png

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
Last edited by RickCHodgin on 05 Jul 2017, 04:14, edited 2 times in total.

Chyros

24 Mar 2017, 00:28

I agree it is definitely the model that stands out most. Definitely consider me interested for that model :D .

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

24 Mar 2017, 00:30

I'll be following this project with interest!

Wingklip

29 Mar 2017, 04:28

I'm thinking you should probs make it cherry compatible and very very clicky/loud tactile :)

RickCHodgin

01 Apr 2017, 14:05

Official names:

Model D (developers, content creators):
D1 Illuminator, three independent TrackPoints, allowing for three-way multi-axis/3D navigation
D2 Publisher, three independent TrackPoints, allowing for three-way multi-axis/3D navigation
D3 Beacon, three independent TrackPoints, allowing for three-way multi-axis/3D navigation

Model G (general use):
G1 PureLight, enhanced basic keyboard, one TrackPoint
G2 UltraLight, basic keyboard, one TrackPoint

Model E (expansion):
Model-E Amplifier, add-on independent multi-key expansion keyboards (71 and fewer keys each, right-hand and left-hand models), each with additional independent TrackPoint allowing for additional N-way multi-access/3D navigation.

Poster and additional files:
http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/ ... m/keyboard

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
Last edited by RickCHodgin on 05 Jul 2017, 04:15, edited 4 times in total.

RickCHodgin

01 Apr 2017, 18:33

Three-key Spacebar
You may note above, I've gone with a three-key spacebar. This is for developers and foreign languages which can enable additional key assignments when clicked.

In addition, for some computer programming languages I'm developing, I've allowed for variable names to have spaces within them. To do this now I have encode the space character using Shift+space, but with this new keyboard I would be able to set it up to allow left-space or right-space for the space character in variable names, with middle-space being the normal space character.

Contextual Key Assignments by App and Control
I intend to make the keyboard driver aware of not only which application has focus, but also which control, so that they key assignments are changing continually contextually. In applications which do not signal they're are aware of the left-space, middle-space, and right-space existence, pressing any one will return a simple spacebar keystroke. And if an application is recognized then all three spacebar keys can be assigned to macros or any other key, allowing them to send or activate whatever is required.

Flexible Design and GUI for Keyboard Driver
I plan an extremely flexible keyboard driver and setup API. I also plan the hardware and GUI to allow custom expansion and assemblies beyond what King Machines will manufacture and sell. A person could, for example, buy additional components and expand the left-side, or right-side, or top-side function keys, to go out further as each of them have male and female connect ports to allow expansion. In addition, the relative placement of Model-E keyboards can be identified, so the GUI mimics the desktop space.

Each additional add-on identifies itself as a new pad to the keyboard driver, and the type of keyboard panel that's plugged in is automatically conveyed and can be seen visually in a GUI which looks exactly like the keyboard. This then allows easy drag-and-drop substitution for key assignments and commands, or to press a key, have it be the "active key" and then be able to assign things to that key (so you don't have to drag-and-drop).

Printable Cheat Sheets
The keyboard driver's GUI will also allow the creation of various types of keyboard "cheat sheets" which identify the application and assigned keystrokes. These can be printed out and taped to the keyboard or monitor.

Custom Key Printing
And to make keys easy to identify, I intend to also allow custom key printing with a 128x128 pixel image to be ordered for low cost, with one-, two-, three-, or four-color options. The target is $3.00 or less per key, with up to four 128x128 layers indicating the text to produce for each key per layer (white, black, blue, green, red/orange, yellow, cyan atop keys made with planned physical colors white, creme, blue, red, cyan, green, yellow (as indicated in the image), as well as black, fuchsia/purple, depending on product color availability).

The keyboard driver will have the ability to edit these layers directly for printing on the cheat sheets (which can be printed out on a transparency and "glued" down if you so desire), but will also integrate to allow orders to be made directly with King Machines.

Fully Open Source Software
I will also work with individuals and companies to produce custom drivers setup from the factory which allow for special things. The software for the keyboard driver will be completely open source and anyone would be able to expand it on their own as well.

Fully Open Source Design and Hardware
I want other people to manufacture these keyboards as well. I don't want to hoard the design or the revenue. I will release all software and hardware designs, photo masks for board layouts, machine designs for manufacturing and assembly, everything. I want others to be able to literally replicate the manufacturing facility I intend to produce. I am one person, and I desire to help people as best I can. And I ask for only one thing in return: fairness, both to me and others. Do your best for people, give them the ability to be more productive, more creative, more expressive, and make a decent living on it. Don't get rich, don't pursue avarice, but help people while also helping yourself.

-----
We're still a long ways from products and sales, but I can honestly say for the first time in all of my project history, everyone around me is on board with this one. The D1 Illuminator is like a dream come true for many people. :-)

My goals on this project are not to get rich. I have a lot of software and hardware design ideas, and I want to be able to devote my day hours to those projects (as presently I have a day job which relegates me doing all of this extra work to evenings, weekends, holidays, and personal days). I've been doing this since July, 2012, and it's getting exhausting. I need to change things around, and this is my goal ... to manufacture these keyboards and make enough money to cover my bills with my family and staff manufacturing the keyboards for me, so I can devote full-time to software and hardware development.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Wingklip

01 Apr 2017, 22:50

That would solve the issue of homing however. Just set and forget

RickCHodgin

10 Apr 2017, 17:11

I am making arrangements to get the TIG welder I'll need to build some of the manufacturing machines. I have the stainless steel materials, and am finishing up the designs over the next two or three weeks (Lord willing).

I should have some physical keyboards manufactured this summer.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

RickCHodgin

11 Apr 2017, 00:19

I've solidified a key model for manufacturing. The design I've uploaded today has Model-D developer keyboards with 312, 246, and 215 keys. Model-G general purpose keyboards come with 149 and 115 keys. The underlying model is modular. Each keyboard panel contains ports which interconnect to other panels, and each panel self-identifies itself during startup so they can be configured in any orientation based on their plug-ins, allowing for single keyboard designs which contain more keys than even Illuminator.

The underlying keyboard frame designs will be limited in production manufacturing to the five keyboard models shown. Enthusiasts, however, will be able to purchase keyboard panels as separate parts and arrange them in any orientation to create completely custom keyboard arrangements per their needs, including not even having a main QWERTY keyboard component.

I plan to have non-functional (mechanical manufacturing run only) full-size Illuminator keyboard prototypes by the end of June, 2017. I plan to have the electronics prototyped by the end of September, with full shipping and sales possible by the end of this year.

I'm creating a new key design which is my own design from the ground-up. It is a type of silent (or at least very quiet) buckling spring. I'm working on altering my 3D design in Blender to meet the mechanics of manufacturing on a relatively simple and straight-forward production line. The manufacturing machines I intend to custom create should not be complex, but relatively easy to duplicate for anyone wanting to build their own manufacturing production lines.

All of my focus is going into this project at the present time. My family and friends are on board with the idea. It is the first project they've seen me tackle that they actually think I can finish. :-) I keep telling them, "We'll see. Lots left to do still."

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Chyros

11 Apr 2017, 08:47

Damn, this is looking great :D .

RickCHodgin

14 Apr 2017, 21:02

I have a design in progress for physical manufacturing of key mechanisms and keycaps. I will be writing software for it through into June.

I plan to support up to four separate colors (for text only, not arbitrary graphics) per key, with keys coming from the factory with two colors. I eventually plan to support arbitrary graphics and custom 3D keycap contouring.

My target price will be $3.00 per keycap with up to four ink colors, $5.00 for arbitrary color keycaps (available later), and $5.00 for custom 3D keycap contouring. I will create add-ons to my keyboard driver which allows keycap color text and 3D contouring designs to be constructed using a minimum of 128 x 128 pixel grid per keycap, with wider keys allowing more horizontal pixels.

An example of what I'm talking about. It will be similar to the three keys on the right, with 128 x 128 3D pixels with a depth of about 4mm, with about a .1mm height resolution, and it will have a "smoothing" algorithm to make it flow and not be blocky:

I may also offer a "glue on" add-on option where a slot is cut into a keycap, allowing for custom shapes like the ones on the left are able to be manufactured separately and then glued on to the keycap.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Apr 2017, 21:25

So, the D1 has 208 nonstandard additional keys. If someone wanted the most basic $3 custom text on all of them, that would be $624. Do you expect the keys on the add-on modules to be blank by default or have some kind of stock text? And do you think you'll offer a quantity discount for someone who needs a LOT of custom keys?

Finally, will the keys be dye sublimated PBT, or something else?

Thanks for posting updates. It's really interesting.

RickCHodgin

14 Apr 2017, 23:12

Techno Trousers wrote: So, the D1 has 208 nonstandard additional keys. If someone wanted the most basic $3 custom text on all of them, that would be $624. Do you expect the keys on the add-on modules to be blank by default or have some kind of stock text?
Every key has logical groupings of keys that will be identified by a single letter. We all know function keys use F1..F36. Similarly, there will be keys for the left side groups, right side groups, top row, and other area groupings. So the keys from the factory, for example, will be labeled L1, L2, ..., and R1, R2, ... and T1, T2, ... with other letters for other groups, etc.
And do you think you'll offer a quantity discount for someone who needs a LOT of custom keys?
I will offer a discount. For all orders over 5 keys I'll give the key count for a percent discount. Order 10 keys, 10% discount. Order 50 keys, 50% discount. Order 100 keys, and they're free! Just kidding. :-) Actually, I'll probably cap it at 70%, so any order of 70 keys or more will enjoy a 70% discount. 208 custom keys would cost you $187.20, or $0.90 each.

And, this is all preliminary. I may be able to make them for less, in which case I'll sell them for less.

The custom color print keys and contoured keys will not be reduced. But, I don't expect people to order a whole panel's worth of those, but only a few keys here or there for decoration of emphasis.
Finally, will the keys be dye sublimated PBT, or something else?
The key text will be physically machined into the surface (based on the pixel pattern that's conveyed converted through a smoothing algorithm as it is intended for use with text) to a depth of about 0.6 mm, with a type of colorized polymer epoxy that will fill into the etched area leaving the key surface essentially flat when it dries (under a relatively quick curing in UV light). This etched design also allows for keys to be repaired similarly as it begins to wear over time.
Thanks for posting updates. It's really interesting.
You're welcome. I'm really enjoying the project. I'm looking forward to getting the software completed and published so people can start using it, and possibly even adapting it to their own keyboard projects.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

RickCHodgin

15 Apr 2017, 15:27

I am thinking of something like this for the keyboard design tool. If text is added to the D,E,F areas, then views will be available which show the appropriate side's profile. Additional key widths will be available for selection.

Online Button
The "Online" button will be available to allow access to content that's been published to the community. It will contain pre-designed or stock keys which can be viewed and loaded into the local library. Once keys are in the library, keys can be positioned onto panels so that cheat sheets can be printed out, and online orders are made to have the keys physically manufactured.

Pixel Editor
A raw pixel editor (not shown above) will also be available on a larger key image, with 128 x 128 pixels for standard keys, with wider keys using more horizontal pixels. Generic pixel areas will also be available for the D,E,F positions, allowing for custom shapes not present in system fonts.

3D Manufacturing Preview
A 3D simulation of the actual product will be available, as the tool used to create the keys will not match the font text exactly, and some smoothing will take place in places. There is also a minimum stroke size for a line. As a result, the 3D simulation will create a virtual key that can be examined from all directions and zooms in/out, showing the depth of cut, actual appearance from the manufacturing process, some fairly photo-realistic texturing and coloring, etc.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
Last edited by RickCHodgin on 05 Jul 2017, 04:17, edited 3 times in total.

RickCHodgin

16 Apr 2017, 01:18

I came across this set of key cap colors tonight. I'd really like to offer a wide range like this at some point, along with more colors for text including orange. But for now I'll stick with the nine keycap colors, and seven ink colors plus just machining.

I think there should be a darker beige available too. And I'd probably drop olive drab, mint, pink, graphite and charcoal.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Chyros

16 Apr 2017, 01:43

DAMN nice Oo .

Wingklip

16 Apr 2017, 01:57

Bruh show us the mechanism lol. Also I prefer white and sky blue :)

I think this would do as a pretty cool font http://kinobrand.com/product/nixin-regular/

RickCHodgin

16 Apr 2017, 02:35

Wingklip wrote: Bruh show us the mechanism lol.
I'm still designing it. I have to tweak my original design to work with a manufacturing and assembly line process. I have it close, but I don't think what I have will work without extra stages in manufacturing. So, I'm trying to simplify the design a little bit so I'll only have maybe three stages in manufacturing. But, I will publish the design as soon as it's finalized. I'm also planning on creating and sending out some non-functional 4x4 grid keyboards to people who are interested so they can give me feedback on the mechanisms, key styles, colors, etc.

I want to provide keycaps that are very much like IBM's style. I'd actually like to create a keycap that was 100% compatible with IBM Model-M/F style keycaps so the custom keycaps I offer can be used on traditional keyboards as well.
Also I prefer white and sky blue :) I think this would do as a pretty cool font http://kinobrand.com/product/nixin-regular/
What I'm developing is basically a pixel-based engine. So, what it will do is use whatever pixel data happens to be there. In the case of typewritten text (probably the most common), it will derive the pixel data from the font style and size that's chosen draw the font shape into the image. In that way, any font can be used, or any custom hand-drawn images (128 x 128 pixels for standard keycap sizes, and larger for others) can be used. After the font is used to lay down the initial pixels, that layer can be converted to a graphical color layer whereby it's converted into a bitmap, allowing it to be manually tweaked further using some basic pixel editing tools in the interface.

I'm working on the UI software right now. The GUI is being written in Java so it will run essentially the same on any machine.
A thin OS-specific driver to interface with the keyboard will be written in C++. That driver will be able to take a file generated from the GUI to populate macros and key assignments for various operations. So on an actual implementation, the GUI won't be required, but only the driver and the user-specific settings.

http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/ ... ard_driver

I think by default I'm going to use the Ubuntu Medium font because it has a nice depth, thickness, and sans serif appearance. But, that font can be overridden and any font can be used (even different fonts on different parts of the same key).

I think it's going to be quite nice when completed. The software can also be re-used by others so they can incorporate something similar for custom keycap orders (and even general purpose orders) into their products. It should be a win-win for everybody.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
Last edited by RickCHodgin on 05 Jul 2017, 04:15, edited 2 times in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

16 Apr 2017, 03:47

I'd volunteer to test, when you get to that point. I'm very interested to see if you can replicate that Model F feel.

Earlier I thought you said you weren't going to be using barrels, so how would original IBM caps be interchangeable with yours? Or do you mean just the top of the 2-piece caps are interchangeable?

RickCHodgin

16 Apr 2017, 03:52

Techno Trousers wrote: ...how would original IBM caps be interchangeable with yours? Or do you mean just the top of the 2-piece caps are interchangeable?
Yes. I'm thinking the keycaps would snap on to the undermount in the same way.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

16 Apr 2017, 03:56

Okay, that makes sense. Unfortunately, it's only the 1u keys that will be cross-compatible then, since the other sizes are all one piece. But it would definitely be nice to have the option for custom made legends.

Have you thought about offering front printing, as well? That would be really nice.

RickCHodgin

16 Apr 2017, 04:08

Techno Trousers wrote: Have you thought about offering front printing, as well? That would be really nice.
Do you mean the D position on the above sample screen? Like this:

I plan to allow front-, right-, and left-side printing. Embossed printing will only be available for top printing.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

16 Apr 2017, 04:10

Yes, that's what I meant. That can be great for media controls and other secondary symbols. I don't think infill is needed on the front or sides anyway.

RickCHodgin

20 Apr 2017, 08:54

I have the 122-key IBM Model-F mentioned in the first post that is currently not working. I'm going to use that to develop my hardware and software drivers. I should be able to get a retro-fit board working with my driver's macro support.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Wingklip

20 Apr 2017, 13:30

You sir, are the pinnacle of skill

RickCHodgin

20 Apr 2017, 14:09

Wingklip wrote: You sir, are the pinnacle of skill
I still have to do it. Once it works, then I'll have credibility. Until then I'm just a potential troll (but I'm not a troll I assure you ... of course, what would a troll say LOL). :-)

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

20 Apr 2017, 15:29

I have to admit that your project is so ambitious, I thought maybe it was an elaborate April Fool's Day prank!

RickCHodgin

20 Apr 2017, 16:16

Techno Trousers wrote: I have to admit that your project is so ambitious, I thought maybe it was an elaborate April Fool's Day prank!
Nope.

I'm trying to achieve the ability to create an environment where I can use these skills I possess for people. I am hindered right now because I have to have a regular day job which consumes my hours.

In this keyboard manufacturing, I intend to automate much of the manufacturing so I can spend less time on my day job and more time on software and hardware development eventually.

On my key design, I've come up with a "sealed" barrel that should be quieter, yet still provide the buckling spring feel. Still working out the details.

I've also developed a tiered macro ability. Physical keys on any keyboard (including multikey combinations, like F9+F10) can be mapped logically to any key on D1 Illuminator, or E1 expansion, with macros then applying to those virtual keys. This will allow key combos to act as single macros, enabling lesser keyboards to still do more.

The driver for my Model-F 122 will support this two-layer macro ability.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

RickCHodgin

22 Apr 2017, 22:29

For my custom board designs, I'm creating one of these with an 18" x 18" capacity. I should be able to produce a whole D1 Illuminator PCB in about 10 minutes, with some post-etching to remove parasitic residue. A final processing to screen and solder mask, and an automated router to separate the boards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIIwU29H3E8

I love it when a plan starts coming together. :-)

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Return to “Keyboards”