IBM Model-F-like keyboard designs

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 15:09

My name is Rick C. Hodgin, and I'm a software developer who's working on a very large project. Part of that project includes designing and manufacturing my own keyboards. I've always loved the original IBM Model-F keyboards, both in their touch and in their operation. Simple. Elegant. Very nice.

The gist of this post is at the bottom after the ----- line. The following is background to what I'm in pursuit of:

Background: I purchased an IBM Model-F in late 2015, and a new Xwhatisit controller. In the process of soldering it up, I overheated the board in two places. One caused one of the board components to move, and for solder to connect to multiple pins on a nearby chip. The other just caused solder to connect multiple pins to another nearby chip. It could probably be repaired but I don't have the right tools to do the job.

As a result, I began back-stepping a little and asking myself some bigger questions: What would be required to create my own Model-F keyboard from scratch? After much thinking and research I've come to this place:

Since the Model F is a capacitance-based keyboard, all I have to do is put a square wave voltage with constant amperage onto each row/column combination for a brief period of time and test the signal on the other side of the capacitor. Based on the presence or non-presence of the capacitive foot, it will alter the capacitance and indicate if the key is pressed or not.

To test this, I'm working with a Lattice XP2 Brevia2 FPGA. The board has LEDs on it. I'll have it signal YES/NO with a test button, and a selector which allows me to increase or decrease the timing involved to see the response.

-----
I've had some ideas about keyboard arrangements I'd like to see made in a Model-F-like capacitance design:

UPDATE: Some changes noted later in this thread have been applied. The keyboards now possess 312 keys, 246 keys, 215 keys, 149 keys, and 115 keys. Each Model-D has three TrackPoints for isolated three-way multi-access navigation. New expansion keyboards are also introduced (right-hand and left-hand models). They have 71 and fewer keys each, and a separate isolated TrackPoint allowing for additional N-way multi-access navigation.

I've also made a life-size poster that can be printed on 3' x 4' poster stock to see what the actual size of each keyboard would be. It should be accurate within the limitations of scaling to margins. You can print the poster for about $23 + shipping at Vistaprint (Note: I am not affiliated with Vistaprint, I just use their service to print posters. They are very nice quality, and their customer service has been excellent ... Google for "vistaprint poster" if you would like to find them):

URL to the full-sized poster:
http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/ ... m/keyboard

They are designed for developers and content creators (F1 to F24, and lots of macro and general purpose key assignments pace), along with keyboards designed for general purpose use.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance...

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
Last edited by RickCHodgin on 05 Jul 2017, 04:13, edited 9 times in total.

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 15:12

I have been considering including some of the square red/blue keys on the Model-D1 onto the other designs as well as I really am liking those keys up there the more I think about it.

I am also considering moving the row of three keys in the green area into the yellow area, and making the Model-D1, for example, be red:2, yellow:3, green:2 on the left-side.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Mar 2017, 15:36

Take a look at the Model-MF project which is pretty much the result of many promising predecessor projects going into the same direction of creating custom Model-F based keyboards:
workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796.html

It took a couple of bright minds quite a while to get this all together but it currently looks like this project will deliver well working drop-in Model-F kits for Model-M cases (102-key and SSK sized)

Alternatively, there's the ModelFKeyboard project by Ellipse that has been working on a commercial revival of some small form factor Model F keyboards including custom cases for these keyboards.

To me it sounds like the biggest challenge will be making these cases - one big reason why the ModelMF is going for existing Model-M cases. If you have an idea how to manufacture the cases, develop the internals ... the tools/ideas/concepts are all there.

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 16:40

RickCHodgin wrote: I have been considering including some of the square red/blue keys on the Model-D1 onto the other designs as well as I really am liking those keys up there the more I think about it.

I am also considering moving the row of three keys in the green area into the yellow area, and making the Model-D1, for example, be red:2, yellow:3, green:2 on the left-side.
I have updated this design to include the red and blue square keys above, and move the group of three to the yellow buttons along the left. The keyboards now possess 256 keys, 209 keys, 195 keys, 174 keys, 143 keys, and 123 keys.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Chyros

20 Mar 2017, 16:42

LOVING the idea of the super massive one. With a big metal pan like on the battleship. 10 kg keyboard :D .

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 16:48

Wodan wrote: Take a look at the Model-MF project...
I appreciate the info and I wish their project well. It looks like we have different goals and backgrounds.

For my project, I am working on a replacement for the buckling spring as I absolutely love the feel, but do not like the click noise. I am designing a key action which will simulate the feel, but be almost silent. I am also intending to replicate the entire manufacturing process, including designing tools for mass production.

I have the design and am currently building prototypes. When I get it ready to post I'll share all the details, including the details on how the manufacturing process goes including station-by-station assembly.

I want people to start building these if they want. I think it would be a great benefit to mankind to have such powerful keyboards, with key actions that are on par with the Model-F buckling spring, but are almost completely silent.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 16:51

Chyros wrote: LOVING the idea of the super massive one. With a big metal pan like on the battleship. 10 kg keyboard :D .
My wife and I have been jokingly referring to it as The Dominator. :lol:

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Chyros

20 Mar 2017, 16:52

RickCHodgin wrote:
Chyros wrote: LOVING the idea of the super massive one. With a big metal pan like on the battleship. 10 kg keyboard :D .

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
I'd call it the aircraft carrier xD .

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Mar 2017, 16:53

RickCHodgin wrote: ...
I am working on a replacement for the buckling spring as I absolutely the feel, but do not like the click noise. I am designing a key action which will simulate the feel, but be almost silent.
That certainly sounds very exciting! Can't wait to see more of your work. I always appreciated the buckling spring keyboards for their honest click but if you manage to capture that in a silent design, bring in on.

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 16:59

Chyros wrote:
RickCHodgin wrote:
I'd call it the aircraft carrier xD .
That 256-key beast will be about 28" x 10" ... and that image above is to scale (4 feet across, 3 feet up and down), so if you count pixels you can determine the size of each keyboard pretty accurately.

On the poster version, it's easy to count as it's 2000 pixels per foot.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

20 Mar 2017, 17:37

Even though my keyboards find there way back and forth from my desk and my lap some of those layouts are making me drool. I work with Cad every day and have always wanted a bunch of left had macros to work with. A silent F style switch would certainly butter my toast.

zslane

20 Mar 2017, 17:55

I hate IBM keyboards with the white hot passion of a million suns, but that D1 Dominator is simply dazzling in the sheer scope of its ambition. Bravo!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

20 Mar 2017, 17:58

Hoo boy, I had to laugh at that 256-key gargantuar. Take that, you 60% lovers!

If you haven't already, you might check out the CommonSense controller thread. DMA has been making great progress on a universal capacitive sensing controller for both Model F and beamspring. I think it's to our advantage (as a community) to stick with a common controller and programming software, if possible.

Will your barrels be sized the same as IBMs, for full keycap compatibility? Will the plates be curved?

I also love the click of the original Model F, but I'll be interested to see your silent alternative.

just_add_coffee

20 Mar 2017, 18:00

I am but one buyer in a seemingly endless ocean of keyboard buyers, the vast majority of which seem to prefer 10 keys and 834 layers. And full disco-RGB, of course. But what I lack in wealth, purchasing power, and the ability to single-handedly by enough units to ensure that this venture is profitable, I more than make up for with mental instability.

The first person/partnership/company/secret society that puts a 256-key Model F on my desk can choose the tattoo that goes on my right shoulder*.

I'm not a tattoo aficionado and, in fact, only have one other; so no worries about your message being lost in the clutter!

Company logo? No problem! Tribute to a loved one? I'm honored! Your favorite Ignatius J. Reilly quote? Bring it on! A San Francisco 49ers' logo? I will hate you and curse you under my breath, but I will gratefully burn incense in Bill Walsh's (PBH) honor for a 256-key Model F.

* Other body parts are available. Certain exclusions (but not many) apply. Inquire for details.

I'd really prefer that this keyboard not be completely silent, but rather, dampened, something on par with floss-modding.

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 18:08

Techno Trousers wrote: Will your barrels be sized the same as IBMs, for full keycap compatibility?
No, not compatible. The design is new. I'll post full details and specs about it when I get it completed. My goals are to use off-the-shelf stock materials to build the key barrels and keyboard casing. No custom manufactured components apart from any construction done directly on the assembly line, and in preparation for an assembly line run (having many key barrels constructed, tested, etc). In the beginning, I'll buy keycaps, but eventually intend to manufacture those as well. I've been considering a way to machine them out of stock material as well. We'll see.

I worked at Toyota for about three years and learned a lot from their manufacturing process. The Toyota Way has many manufacturing advantages (provided you can keep your materials and partially assembled components moving).
Will the plates be curved?
Yes, it will be curved. I think that is essential for a good feel.
I also love the click of the original Model F, but I'll be interested to see your silent alternative.
You and me both. To get a full keyboard working and type on it for a while ... ahhh. :D

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
Last edited by RickCHodgin on 20 Mar 2017, 18:52, edited 2 times in total.

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 18:14

just_add_coffee wrote: I'd really prefer that this keyboard not be completely silent, but rather, dampened, something on par with floss-modding.
I've had that thought as well. The design allow for some flexibility. We'll see how it goes.

I think at some point I would also manufacture a version which is a true buckling spring, and call them Models D1B, D2B ... G2B, for example.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

codemonkeymike

20 Mar 2017, 18:43

My standing desk has a max capacity of 35 lbs between that keyboard and my 18 lb monitor my desk would implode :lol:

Would you consider designing the keyboard with left hand num pad?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

20 Mar 2017, 19:25

RickCHodgin wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote: Will your barrels be sized the same as IBMs, for full keycap compatibility?
No, not compatible. The design is new.

In the beginning, I'll buy keycaps, but eventually intend to manufacture those as well. I've been considering a way to machine them out of stock material as well. We'll see.
Will the plates be curved?
Yes, it will be curved. I think that is essential for a good feel.
Well, now I'm truly confused. So are you going with Cherry-mount stems and a universal key profile for compatibility with the curved plate? Or something completely new?

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Mar 2017, 19:38

Chyros wrote: I'd call it the aircraft carrier xD .
You mean, aircraft carrier carrier?

Or, for Dominator, replace with Executor.

Maybe this is how the Cybermen begin: with the telescopic arms required to reach all the way back to the 256th key.

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 19:49

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:

Or, for Dominator, replace with Executor.

Maybe this is how the Cybermen begin: with the telescopic arms required to reach all the way back to the 256th key.
That's why I put it on the full-size poster. I'm having it printed so I can show people exactly what I intend and get their feedback. I think any key movements apart from the green or yellow keys will require a notable arm reposition. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is to be considered for daily use.

I really tried to consider ergonomics when choosing the layout, but it probably still has room for improvement. If anybody has better ideas, I'm open to them.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 19:52

Techno Trousers wrote: Well, now I'm truly confused. So are you going with Cherry-mount stems and a universal key profile for compatibility with the curved plate? Or something completely new?
Completely new.

I will use the existing curved plate in my design, but all of the mechanical movement is completely new. The board will be capacitance-based though, and someone could replace my mechanical action layer with another layer top, essentially re-purposing the other existing hardware (controller, main board, mechanical frame, etc., would be the same, just the top and key mechanisms would be switched out -- that's actually how I intend to eventually create the Model-DnB and Model-GnB buckling spring versions).

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

RickCHodgin

20 Mar 2017, 19:59

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
My wife likes aircraft carrier better than dominator. I had thought of dominator because there are only 256 characters (8 bits) that can be sent back to the 8042-compatible controllers per cycle, and this would max out the range. I would also like to do away with two-key transmissions, and stick with one byte for every key.

I've had the idea of creating context-aware keyboard drivers as well, so you can set it up so that in one app the keys take on whatever macros are assigned to it, and in another they take on whatever macros, etc. These would be different than responding to raw keystrokes based on each app's own keystroke processor, but would allow (at the driver level) the F10 key to be redefined to a Ctrl+K,Y combination, for example, which would then be intercepted in the app's keystroke processor as the two-key combination. And every key could be programmed in that way, which responds contextually to running apps.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

just_add_coffee

20 Mar 2017, 20:39

codemonkeymike wrote: My standing desk has a max capacity of 35 lbs between that keyboard and my 18 lb monitor my desk would implode :lol:
Then get a new desk! Why let a measly thing like "weight capacity" keep you from the POWER of 256 keys? :D

Wilkie

20 Mar 2017, 21:04

Instead of all these variations, how about a modular design a la Tipro?

RickCHodgin

21 Mar 2017, 04:02

Wilkie wrote: Instead of all these variations, how about a modular design a la Tipro?
I can't figure out a way to do it with a capacitive circuit, or two-axis expansion.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

alh84001
v.001

21 Mar 2017, 05:53

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Or, for Dominator, replace with Executor.
I'd choose Battlestar. Old-school with intentional low-tech design, kicking ass of those RGB toasters. Yep, it fits.

just_add_coffee

21 Mar 2017, 09:05

alh84001 wrote: I'd choose Battlestar. Old-school with intentional low-tech design, kicking ass of those RGB toasters. Yep, it fits.
So say we all!

just_add_coffee

21 Mar 2017, 15:22

Having some time to think about this ...

One of the most annoying issues that I contend with daily is quickly changing active panes distributed between two monitors. In Windows, Alt+Tab lets you select which pane is active, but that has always seemed clunky and less than ideal, and gets worse the more panes that are open.

A better solution (of the solutions that I'm aware of) has been a 2.25" trackball. With a massive-enough trackball, you can flick it in the right direction and the momentum does most the work. Ideal? Not really. More fun? Definitely.

But then you've got a new issue: Where the heck to put the trackball mouse? Regardless of whether you opt for the left or right side of the keyboard, your fingers are leaving the keyboard.

What I would like to do is put the trackball smack dab in the middle, Ergodox-style or à la one of kurplop's legendary "Planet 6" designs...
Such a configuration would allow the user to use either their left or right thumb and/or index finger to flick the ball.

But since were talking about "ideal" here, I don't want to sacrifice too many button groups either. Buttons are our friends! So what about a "Winged-V" configuration: The alpha-numeric part of the keyboard is the "V," a CST2545-5W or comparable trackball is built into the center of the "V," the button groups are "wings" atop that "V," and both the left and right "wings" are of equal length?

A symmetrical and programmable design such as what I'm describing has another benefit: Ambidextrous and left-handed use.

The Model F buckling spring is the greatest of all keyboard switches ... It is known ... but the form factor is an area begging for improvement.

RickCHodgin

21 Mar 2017, 15:33

just_add_coffee wrote: Having some time to think about this ...
That image you posted with the split keyboard ... it reminded me of something. On the drive home yesterday I was thinking about a dual square shoebox-like keyboard design. It's like two hollow tunnels you put your hands into. You type on the flat surface which is in the down position. You can then rotate each tunnel in 90 degree increments independently, providing access to three other keyboards on each hand.

Might be useful for content creators. They can have the keyboard lock into "model" or "sculpt" or whatever modes. The downside is you'd have these big dual rectangle box-like things in front of your monitor, so your monitor would have to be up higher. :-)

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

just_add_coffee

21 Mar 2017, 15:50

RickCHodgin wrote: The downside is you'd have these big dual rectangle box-like things in front of your monitor, so your monitor would have to be up higher.
That, and the user potentially not liking the keys being obstructed. Some folks are great touch typists, some don't touch type at all, and the vast majority of us are probably in the middle.

The advantage with the Ergodox (and it's cousins such as the fixed Batwing Ergodox, Atreus, Diverge, Dactyl, to a certain extent Kinesys, etc.) form factor is that it's been around for a while and thus has a level of familiarity and market acceptance.

Return to “Keyboards”