Using All of Your Keyboards

paecific.jr

23 Mar 2017, 19:41

I have now entered a very happy time of my life. I have 3 keyboards that are usable and I like them all. The problem I keep encountering is finding reasons to switch. So my question for those of you with much larger collections is how do you make sure that you use all of your keyboards? Do you? Also, how do you store you keyboards in a way that makes it easy to swap?

Slom

23 Mar 2017, 20:09

Mainly by putting them away in the evening* :) Also distributing them between work and home.

*My reasons: the sun (to protect my precious Carbon, or other ABS caps or the cases of my keyboards) or the cleaners at work (they clean my desk every Friday morning, after that I decide on the keyboard for the next week)

wobbled

23 Mar 2017, 20:27

I use one for a week then swap it out and the board I use at work gets swapped out monthly.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Mar 2017, 20:40

My rotation is random, my keyboard storage is improvised and semi-shit.

codehead

23 Mar 2017, 21:14

I have one or two per machine, both, at the office and at home. Sometimes I want lighter touch, sometimes crunchier and noisier. But the thing is that I try to keep all boards in rotation and resist the urge of becoming a collector... With varying results... :)

emdude
Model M Apologist

23 Mar 2017, 21:20

I try not to fall into the collector mentality and only buy keyboards that I intend to seriously use at some point.

Still, I tend to gravitate towards to two or three particular keyboards (out of many). It certainly doesn't help my case that I have duplicate keyboards as well... :oops:

paecific.jr

23 Mar 2017, 21:22

Slom wrote: Mainly by putting them away in the evening* :) Also distributing them between work and home.

*My reasons: the sun (to protect my precious Carbon, or other ABS caps or the cases of my keyboards) or the cleaners at work (they clean my desk every Friday morning, after that I decide on the keyboard for the next week)
I find it impressive that you move your keyboards every day, I just put my computer in a dark cave of a room!

It's interesting that multiple of you use the week rotation method too, maybe in my future?

Slom

23 Mar 2017, 21:30

paecific.jr wrote:
Slom wrote: Mainly by putting them away in the evening* :) Also distributing them between work and home.

I find it impressive that you move your keyboards every day, I just put my computer in a dark cave of a room!

It's interesting that multiple of you use the week rotation method too, maybe in my future?
It actually serves a dual purpose as well. I tend to spend to much time in front of computers. Having to decide on a keyboard, open the box and fiddle with the cables makes it more likely that I get out and enjoy the spring instead :D

Chyros

23 Mar 2017, 21:58

I review a different one every week, do I have to rotate by necessity. When I'm reviewing one I can't actually use, I work ahead, or revisit an old one I haven't used for a while.

wobbled

23 Mar 2017, 22:00

Chyros wrote: I review a different one every week, do I have to rotate by necessity. When I'm reviewing one I can't actually use, I work ahead, or revisit an old one I haven't used for a while.
I take it you'd use your kb101a if you had to choose a main board?

Chyros

24 Mar 2017, 00:24

wobbled wrote:
Chyros wrote: I review a different one every week, do I have to rotate by necessity. When I'm reviewing one I can't actually use, I work ahead, or revisit an old one I haven't used for a while.
I take it you'd use your kb101a if you had to choose a main board?
I try to avoid using it actually, as I'm afraid I'll use it up or damage it in some way xD . It is what I'd pick if I was only allowed to keep one, though.

Cattus_D

24 Mar 2017, 08:02

I have eight keyboards, all of which I use from time to time, with the exception of an absolutely terrible Commodore rubberdome from the 1990s. Those keys are just too frustrating to type on.

I switch every two or three weeks, depending on whether I feel like something else to type on. The board I use most of the time is a 1990 Model M. I know most people like the Model F buckling springs over those used in the Model M, but I personally find the feel of the M ones more satisfying.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

24 Mar 2017, 08:40

My Rotation is entirely random or hype driven. Unless I find a reason or mood to change my current keyboard, I just stick with it until some discussion or idea or delivery brings up another keyboard I want to try. The more I enjoy a keyboard, the longer it usually lasts on my desk.

Khers

24 Mar 2017, 09:50

I stopped rotating on a regular basis a while back. 90% of the time I'm on an HHKB, the rest is about evenly split between 60 percenters with vintage blacks and SKCM blues. When I'm not on my laptop's that is.

fruitalgorithm

24 Mar 2017, 11:30

I currently actively use three different keyboards, that all have their respective place and use. Matias Ergo Pro in the office at work, Plum 75 on couch and in the kitchen for media boxes and iPad, Matias Mini Tactile Pro at the desk at home.

Only the one at my home desk is changed out sometimes. It's where experiments are the least risky. I have problems with RSI and need to get stuff done, so I avoid changing up my work keyboard. Maybe when I get another ergonomic keyboard and it has proved to work well enough at home. A TEK (TECK?) is in the mail, so that might happen. I haven't even seen an interesting alternative to the Plum 75 bluetooth keyboard yet.

Return to “Keyboards”