What kind of adapter I need for this?


28 Mar 2017, 17:46

I'm super new to mech keyboards, don't really have much money, so I decided to get a cheap old mech. Cleaned it, fixed some screws, but the problem is, it has a 5pin connector. I read a bit about the adapters, and found out there are passive and active ones. No idea which one I should chose.
This is an album with all the photos of the keyboard: http://imgur.com/a/h1Fxz
Sorry if this is in a wrong section, my first post here.

User avatar

28 Mar 2017, 17:58

From your pictures, unless someone knows exactly what keyboard that is (which they well might—I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable on Alps stuff), we can't really answer your question. A picture of the bottom of the case, especially of any switches or labels, could be helpful.

There are two common protocols that used that same connector: XT and AT. The XT protocol needs an active adapter to use on modern computers, while AT can be passively adapted to PS/2. If you want to use the keyboard with USB, you'll need an active adapter either way.


28 Mar 2017, 18:19

I will edit this post with some pictures of the bottom.
edit: http://imgur.com/aAp5r8B this is the only thing, I can open the keyboard if that will help.

User avatar

28 Mar 2017, 18:47

Wow, that's a pretty generic label. :lol:

It has lock lights, so if I had to guess, I'd say it's probably an AT keyboard. Some XT keyboards did have lock lights though, so that alone isn't a perfect indicator.


28 Mar 2017, 18:50

Yep super generic, any way I can somehow get more info about it from the inside? Or maybe posting in Indentify keyboard will be better?

User avatar
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

28 Mar 2017, 19:24

Assuming it's AT protocol, you only need a passive converter to get to PS/2. Something like this will do: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016RTO1M

If you need to ultimately end up with USB, I've had good luck with these "blue cube" active adapters. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BSJFJS

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”