IBM Model M to USB, mushy stabilzers, backplate

MercenarySnake

05 Apr 2017, 18:58

I was wondering what the best way to deal with the model M PS/2 situation, I want to turn it to USB but I'm not sure what the best method of doing that would be. Is there a controller or something I could buy for it? As for the stabilizers, for some reason they feel "mushy" and bind with off key presses on the side where the insert are located. Ever since I had to sand down the backplate due to the rust it had on it I'm a little worried about it rusting but I don't know what I could do in order to preserve it, any good ideas as to how I can deal with that? Thanks.

Cattus_D

06 Apr 2017, 10:18

* PS/2 to USB: a cheap and effective solution is to use an active PS/2 to USB converter like this one. Orihalcon also sells a somewhat more expensive, yet elegant PS/2 to USB converter cable.

* You could paint the back plate or apply a layer of acrylic varnish.

cumwagondeluxe

07 Apr 2017, 05:58

If you can wait, Wingklip is making little two-tone 3D printed PS/2 => USB converter boxes currently that should be going up for sale relatively soon from the sounds of things. I think he said about $20AUD shipped (?) was what he was looking to sell them at.

If you're comfortable with soldering, I'm pretty sure you can always cut the PS/2 cable, solder the wires to the appropriate pro micro headers and hide/tape it into the case so that you've got a mini (or micro) USB model M.

Darkshado

07 Apr 2017, 06:42

If you only want a fairly straightforward conversion and no fancy macro or layering, "Blue cube" converters work well and are affordable; matter of fact I'm typing this post using one.

If you don't have a PS/2 cable at all, or a defective controller, I remember someone using copper tape to fabricate a "break-out" of sorts for the membrane. Solder wires onto a Pro Micro board flashed with TMK or something similar, then stick the wires to the copper tape. (Sticking first might cause excess heat from the soldering to transfer onto the menbrane.)

Finish using a panel mount USB "extension" (e.g. Adafruit 3258) or maybe the MF project USB connectors, if it's not too late, and you'd have a fully internal USB conversion.

MercenarySnake

07 Apr 2017, 10:34

cumwagondeluxe wrote: If you can wait, Wingklip is making little two-tone 3D printed PS/2 => USB converter boxes currently that should be going up for sale relatively soon from the sounds of things. I think he said about $20AUD shipped (?) was what he was looking to sell them at.

If you're comfortable with soldering, I'm pretty sure you can always cut the PS/2 cable, solder the wires to the appropriate pro micro headers and hide/tape it into the case so that you've got a mini (or micro) USB model M.
Where can I find out more about those converter boxes they're making? I might be interested in something like this.

Return to “Keyboards”