White Alps vs Blue Alps

THATGUY69

26 Apr 2017, 00:21

Hello, I recently picked up an OmniKey Plus with white alps from a recycling center, great find btw, and I just love the way these switches feel. I hear everyone talking about how great the blue alps the blue alps are and I am curious if the difference in feel compared to the white alps is justified in the price those boards go for? Let me know.

Chyros

26 Apr 2017, 08:37

Blue Alps are slightly better in every way. As for the price, let me put it this way; I'd say the prices are rather inflated at the moment, but at the same time I wouldn't sell my Acer for anywhere remotely near that xD .

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

26 Apr 2017, 09:45

Zombimuncha

26 Apr 2017, 11:06

I prefer whites. I tried Chyros' KB101 at a meetup and was quite disappointed. It's rather boring and lacking in personality, and a bit too light. It was very loud in there tho, so I didn't get to compare the sound properly.
Supposedly blues and whites are the same weight but the whites somehow feel a little heavier.

andrewjoy

26 Apr 2017, 11:16

Zombimuncha wrote: I prefer whites. I tried Chyros' KB101 at a meetup and was quite disappointed. It's rather boring and lacking in personality, and a bit too light. It was very loud in there tho, so I didn't get to compare the sound properly.
Supposedly blues and whites are the same weight but the whites somehow feel a little heavier.

So you only like whites aye .

Blue lives matter too you know :)

I only have a few blues and i soldered them into a dell to test . I prefer them to whites , more sophisticated

Zombimuncha

27 Apr 2017, 14:36

andrewjoy wrote:
Zombimuncha wrote: I prefer whites. I tried Chyros' KB101 at a meetup and was quite disappointed. It's rather boring and lacking in personality, and a bit too light. It was very loud in there tho, so I didn't get to compare the sound properly.

So you only like whites aye .

Blue lives matter too you know :)

I only have a few blues and i soldered them into a dell to test . I prefer them to whites , more sophisticated
Smurf Rights!

Khers

27 Apr 2017, 14:39

Blues are better in every way, imo, but not enough to justify the price disparity.

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Apr 2017, 14:42

Innocent question: how hard is it to dye white alps stems into a certain blue color? :mrgreen:

Khers

27 Apr 2017, 14:45

Now why would you want to do that ;)

Given that Alps themselves obviously didn't care a whole lot about the shade of blue their blue sliders were, I'd say it's probably fairly easy, but which type of pigment and how to do it depends a little on the plastic.

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Apr 2017, 14:48

Heh :)

I already imagine myself in the future trying to sell a Blue Alps keyboard, only to be reminded of this very thread :D

Return to “Keyboards”