Best Tactile Switch?

thedford

03 May 2017, 08:54

I would have to say that on MX switches tactility is an afterthought.
while alps have a superior bump.
but.. typing on the sony BKE meme domes, is much more satisfying. "in my opinion"

subcat

03 May 2017, 08:59

wobbled wrote: Is BKE Topre domes the new hottest meme? There honestly isn't a significant difference that makes an entire dome-swap worthwhile.
I and practically everyone else who's used them would disagree - the difference is extremely noticeable. I'm not gonna go around on reddit hyping them up like some people have done, but they are, in my opinion, an extremely significant difference.

thedford

03 May 2017, 09:04

subcat wrote:
wobbled wrote: Is BKE Topre domes the new hottest meme? There honestly isn't a significant difference that makes an entire dome-swap worthwhile.
I and practically everyone else who's used them would disagree - the difference is extremely noticeable. I'm not gonna go around on reddit hyping them up like some people have done, but they are, in my opinion, an extremely significant difference.
tbh, I wish I never shared my discovery.
just let people speculate why my board feels particularly different at keyboard meetups.

subcat

03 May 2017, 09:16

thedford wrote:
subcat wrote:
tbh, I wish I never shared my discovery.
just let people speculate why my board feels particularly different at keyboard meetups.
I was under the impression it was rm-rf on GeekHack who was the first to popularise them?

thedford

03 May 2017, 09:31

that's me.

balotz

03 May 2017, 09:42

Orange alps for me - one of the few alps switches with a lighter actuation force. Very pleasant to type on.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 May 2017, 09:47

thedford wrote: I would have to say that on MX switches tactility is an afterthought.
I've just gone back to the patent, and indeed tactility is part of the design for MX Blue, but audible feedback is not. Curiously the design specifically supports double-pole operation, but a double-pole MX switch has yet to be seen (instead, there's space for an LED).

subcat

03 May 2017, 10:07

thedford wrote: that's me.
Ah, well I for one thank you. I really enjoy using them.

E3E

04 May 2017, 00:39

Alps SKCM Creams and Alps SKCM Green, but I'm not a huge tactile guy. I prefer linears and SKCM Blues.

cookie

04 May 2017, 11:35

Topre 45g all the way... Join the supreme cup rubber society!

Stabilized

04 May 2017, 13:15

cookie wrote: Topre 45g all the way... Join the supreme cup rubber society!
And experience oneness...

Topre 45g for me too ;)

drakche

04 May 2017, 13:49

Current favorite switch I've tried is I'm using currently is Plum 55g Hansung dome.
But top spot, Capacitive Buckling Spring or 55g dome Topre.

cookie

04 May 2017, 14:22

Heresy *BLAM BLAM*

Touch_It

04 May 2017, 22:12

My favorites (of what I have tried so far are)

1. IBM F buckling springs

2. I can never decide, but they are IBM M buckling spring and salmon alps.

I love topre as well but dont own one.

I would love to try blue alps orange alps mx green and 55g topre someday.

zslane

04 May 2017, 22:34

Has the OP mentioned yet whether or not compatibility with MX-stemmed keycaps is a requirement in his quest?

Because if so, then all this Alps discussion is utterly moot (as is any mention of buckling spring), isn't it.

THATGUY69

05 May 2017, 02:42

zslane wrote: Has the OP mentioned yet whether or not compatibility with MX-stemmed keycaps is a requirement in his quest?

Because if so, then all this Alps discussion is utterly moot (as is any mention of buckling spring), isn't it.
Mx mount isn't a requirement, I'm one of the few people on this site who uses the original key caps that come with all of my boards. I'm just looking for the cream of the crop of tactile switches. On a semi related note, has anyone used a keyboard with completely tactile mx grey switches? I'm just mildly curious what it is like.
Last edited by THATGUY69 on 05 May 2017, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 May 2017, 09:14

THATGUY69 wrote: On a semi related note, has anyone used a keyboard with completely tactile mx grey switches? I'm just mildly curious what it is like.
Possibly like this:

That also applies to Xiang Min KSB-C (Filco Zero) and Himake AK-CN2 (Monterey K110/SIIG MiniTouch/SunTouch Jr), as well as my Datacomp with knackered white Alps switches.

codemonkeymike

11 May 2017, 20:17

Mods M (67g bottom out blue stem) are nice, similar to zealios but I like something about them a little better. http://www.kbdist.com/mod-switches

Return to “Keyboards”