Tell me your first keyboard!

Neil

18 May 2017, 13:06

My first keyboard was IKBC Poker2. The feeling was amazing. My friend told me, I need a mechanical keyboard. Then I search the Google and youtube to found a dream keyboard Poker 2. Only one thing make me unhappy ---the price !!

I compared the price of all the online store, such as Newegg, wish, eBay, amazon, etc. Then I bought it from http://www.armyourdesk.com with $92.99 8-)

Hope you can tell me your experience about the first keyboard you bought.

Khers

18 May 2017, 13:56

You must be quite young if the first keyboard you ever typed on was a Poker 2, given they came to the market sometime around 2013. :P :mrgreen:

The first keyboard I ever typed on was an IBM Model M, specifically a 1391411, that came with my parents PS/2 in 1987 (though I didn't use it until a few years later).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 May 2017, 14:33

Khers wrote: You must be quite young if the first keyboard you ever typed on was a Poker 2, given they came to the market sometime around 2013. :P :mrgreen:

The first keyboard I ever typed on was an IBM Model M, specifically a 1391411, that came with my parents PS/2 in 1987 (though I didn't use it until a few years later).
Right very young, but I think he might mean the first mechanical keyboard after "getting into" the mech-hobby. Otherwise my first was this:
brotkasten.jpg
brotkasten.jpg (126.31 KiB) Viewed 9710 times

citrojohn

18 May 2017, 15:34

Well, the first mechanical keyboard I bought was a Tipro MID from kbdfr. I also bought some weird caps with it, and I am now trying to get the hang of typing without looking so I can use them!

Before that I got a Cherry G84-4400 for free, which is my work board. Before I got into mechs I bought a roll-up silicone keyboard rather like this :oops: - and also a spring-over-membrane keyboard attached to a Canon electronic typewriter, which is actually quite nice leaving aside the inexactness at actuation. As for the first one I used, I don't know what switches it had (heavy linear of some sort), but it was for a Cifer terminal and had sharp-edged caps that looked rather like Topre HiPro.

Stabilized

18 May 2017, 15:46

First one I used: Dell Quietkey at my dad's office some time in the 90s.

First mechanical keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (mx browns) in 2013.

I have to admit that the first time using a mechanical keyboard was in 2013, before then I was quite content with my Logitech rubber dome keyboard with chicklet keys! That being said I might have used one at my dad's office without noticing, but it would probably be a crappy Viglen/Acer (KB-6312-TW) with Acer mechanical membrane switches so I'm not sure if that even counts :lol:

chuckdee

18 May 2017, 16:13

My First. My second was this one:

Got rid of it in a recent move, and I wish I hadn't.

I had an IBM PC, and at this point I know that it had a mech keyboard, but didn't know at the time. My first MK that I purchased was a Logitech G710+. Then the Logitech Orion Spectrum, and on to the Pok3r last year. That was the beginning of the rabbit hole.

Findecanor

18 May 2017, 16:21

I had one of these back in the day ... :P

Then a couple of real typewriters. I suspect that the one I had at my father's office when I was a kid could have been a Selectric III but if it was, it is long long gone.
My first computer was a C64: late-model breadbox with beige keys. First mech when I got into the hobby was a Dolch
Last edited by Findecanor on 18 May 2017, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

18 May 2017, 16:21

seebart wrote:
Khers wrote: You must be quite young if the first keyboard you ever typed on was a Poker 2, given they came to the market sometime around 2013. :P :mrgreen:

Right very young, but I think he might mean the first mechanical keyboard after "getting into" the mech-hobby. Otherwise my first was this:

brotkasten.jpg
Yeah, I kinda figured, but the actual question was regarding the first keyboard you ever used, so that was what I answered ;)

The first mechanical keyboard I got in recent years, was a Ducky Shine 2 with MX Browns after having been happy with Apple's aluminium ones for quite some time. Uncharacteristically large and shiny when compared with the rest of my collection.

fruitalgorithm

18 May 2017, 16:27

IBM Model M with an IBM AT PC

snuci
Vintage computer guy

18 May 2017, 16:29

Commodore PET 4032

siobhan

18 May 2017, 17:12

So glad I'm not the only one who started on a toy typewriter :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 May 2017, 17:18

My first OWN keyboard was on an Amiga500 ...

Unfortunately, my dad dumped it a few years ago :(

But I got some G80-0904 to over-compensate for the loss

Also:
Hi siobhan :D

drakche

18 May 2017, 17:23

Wodan wrote: My first OWN keyboard was on an Amiga500 ...

Unfortunately, my dad dumped it a few years ago :(

But I got some G80-0904 to over-compensate for the loss

Also:
Hi siobhan :D
My first was also an Amiga 500.
Then a cherry in German ISO (can't remember the model) with blacks,
Then a Chicony ANSI (also can't remember the model, nor the switch).

After that there were mostly rubberdomes.

When I started working, I salvaged an old IBM M2.

Then a Ergo4000 rubber dome I used for a lot of time, and it's still working well, just gathering dust.

And some year ago, I got back into mechs with a LingYi TKL with Outemu blues, and after that my main and most favorite keyboard is the Plum 87.

czarek

18 May 2017, 17:43

Amiga 500 with linear mitsumi hybrid - the first computer I owned as a kid. I also used my dad's work PCs which were IBMs with Model Ms, and some Dell and HP boxes but those were most likely rubber domes.

Chyros

18 May 2017, 17:58

IBM 5155 Model F XT keyboard. The first during my hobby was an Acer 6312-TW.

CeeSA

18 May 2017, 18:08

C64

OldIsNew

18 May 2017, 18:42

First one I used was in high school, a Teletype 33 ASR connected to an HP-2000C running time share BASIC. I can still hear it - it had the paper punch tape so we could keep local copies of our programs which was very cool.
teletype3.jpg
teletype3.jpg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 9586 times
The first one I actually owned was on the Atari 400 - ouch!
Atari-400-Comp.jpg
Atari-400-Comp.jpg (170.68 KiB) Viewed 9579 times

MrDuul

18 May 2017, 19:18

My fathers IBM Model M back in the mid 90s

Daniel Beardsmore

18 May 2017, 23:54

I don't recall anything about the keyboard whatsoever. The computer, yes, and its curious quirks, and the different deaths that ROMs experienced, but the keyboard, no memories of any kind. It was a Wong's-made BBC Micro keyboard using Futaba MR-6C switches. It was a number of years before I started noticing how bad some keyboards were, and before I got an old blue Alps keyboard.

codemonkeymike

18 May 2017, 23:57

First mechanical keyboard I bought for myself was the Das Keyboard (Model 1 I think with cherry browns). But the first I used is a different question. All the keyboards we had when I was young had rubber dome switches from what I can remember.

citrojohn

19 May 2017, 00:47

snuci wrote: Commodore PET 4032
Hm, I just realised why I like numpads so much... a PET 4016 was probably the first keyboard of any sort I used. (Unless we're including the very mechanical keyboards for Solresol...)

elecplus

19 May 2017, 02:11

First keyboard was a Royal manual typewriter from the 1940s or 1950s in about 1962. First computer keyboard was an IBM beamspring and terminal, hooked up over 300 baud modem in 1976.

Neil

19 May 2017, 04:14

Haha , I only used the membrane keyboard before I knew the mechanical one. And after Poker2, I spend a lot of money in this mechanical hobby. :oops:

Neil

19 May 2017, 04:15

OldIsNew wrote: First one I used was in high school, a Teletype 33 ASR connected to an HP-2000C running time share BASIC. I can still hear it - it had the paper punch tape so we could keep local copies of our programs which was very cool.
teletype3.jpg
The first one I actually owned was on the Atari 400 - ouch!
Atari-400-Comp.jpg
Soo cool :o :o

Mattr567

19 May 2017, 06:39

My first ever keyboard was a Compaq SDM4540UL. Yeah I feel quite a bit young compared to a lot of people in this thread :shock:

Neil

22 May 2017, 06:45

snuci wrote: Commodore PET 4032
Amazing!!! :o

vometia
irritant

22 May 2017, 09:14

One of these:

Not sure what type of keyswitches it uses; it was somehow criticised in the computing press at the time (yeah, in a market that also featured such horrors as the Atari 400's keyboard and anything made by Sinclair, but the UK press was... well, the UK press) but actually I thought it was quite nice to type on.

Prior to that I'd used a Research Machines 380Z and a Commode PET, which were much of a muchness. Oh, and my grandfather's ancient mechanical typewriter!

Daniel Beardsmore

22 May 2017, 09:55

A 32 … not sure. The 64 could have Hi-Tek modular or Alps SKCC switches, but the 32 was possibly just Hi-Tek modular (dovetail).

Topre Enthusiast

22 May 2017, 10:28

Mattr567 wrote: My first ever keyboard was a Compaq SDM4540UL. Yeah I feel quite a bit young compared to a lot of people in this thread :shock:
I was gifted a C64 when I was about 10 and by then it was already ancient, but the first computer I got about 3 years later had a keyboard similar to yours. It was a Compaq SK2800 that came with a Presario 5726. I guess I am also a whipper snapper.

vometia
irritant

22 May 2017, 11:51

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: A 32 … not sure. The 64 could have Hi-Tek modular or Alps SKCC switches, but the 32 was possibly just Hi-Tek modular (dovetail).
I think I just automatically assume Alps if I don't know what else it might be. :D It feels quite similar to my BBC Micro, which appears to have Futaba switches, and the Dragon certainly doesn't use them. I pulled a keycap off a couple of years back to see if it gave me any clues: it didn't, other than it having a hollow square post rather than a cross.

Edit: looks like you're right with the Hi-Tek thing, based on the Wiki corresponding with what I seem to remember; I'd need to dig it out of the garage to check, but perhaps another day... it also had quite nice spherical double-shots in that off-white-on-sludgy-dark-grey that was popular at the time. My main gripe (apart from its rather limited layout) is that there's no curvature, which I'm not desperately keen on.

Return to “Keyboards”