Tell me your first keyboard!

polemon

20 Mar 2018, 01:36

I cannot be absolutely sure which keyboard I've ever typed on first, I just know it was in my primary school.
However I didn't do any typing as such, I'm not even sure whether the Computer was really switched on at the time, too many years ago.

The first keyboard I've ever typed on at home, was an Escom rebranded keyboard, that's all I remember.

The first keyboard I've bought for myself with my pocket money, was a Keysonic Mini Keyboard. I believe the model number was ACK-595. I've used it for quite some time. I still have this keyboard in storage.

The first keyboard I "brought back" by getting it broken and repairing it, was an old (1984) LK-201, for a DEC VT220. I still have it, I also still have the VT220, although I'm planning to sell it soon (after retrobrighting, and changing out a cap or two).

The first keyboard I've did some work on, to make it usable after finding it in a dumpster, was an IBM Model M (Part number 1394542, yes, I still remember that number), it's the one with detachable cable, PS/2, drainage channels, and the speaker! It's also the German layout. Of course I still have it, and I still use it from time to time, just to annoy the people next to me, when we do demo parties or play old games.

The first keyboard I changed the switches of, is a DAS KEYBOARD Ultimate S, which I use to this day.

PlacaFromHell

20 Mar 2018, 02:56

I think it was a dome with slider bad quallity ABS keyboard, it got replaced by several Genius rubber domes and then I got a Unitech (PCB with rubber domes, really good) It got broken and I was forced to install a controller to my M 122. Now I'm building my IBM 3101, my first completely restored keyboard (my M 122 has broken traces, some springs died and I got it without some keycaps).

Return to “Keyboards”